Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times

Advertisements

Ben Affleck's new film is set in the Boston neighborhood of Charlestown. The locals are depicted as criminals and white trash. Does Ben properly portray this section of Boston or has he chosen to dabble in stereotyping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Does it matter? It's a movie, it's not real.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Does it matter? It's a movie, it's not real.
Nope. Just curious.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM

613 posts, read 2,308,010 times
Are people from Jersey like the people on the Jersey Shore? Is everyone from LA shallow and has undergone plastic surgery? Are Southerners racist? Insert stereotype from the area where you're from.

Now, obviously stereotypes are based in reality else they wouldn't exist. A segment of the local population in Charlestown does embody the stereotype, but the same is true of many areas all over the country. Charlestown has an interesting history and is an interesting mix of old time locals and seriously yuppie types and everything in between.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
The Globe's review begins: "I don’t care what anyone outside the greater metropolitan area says: “The Town’’ takes place in Movie Boston rather than the real thing. Movie Boston is a sub-Scorsese landscape of stubbled men walking down mean Suffolk County streets that exist primarily in the minds of good pulp novelists and bad screenwriters, and its authenticity depends far too much on Hollywood actors trying hahd to bend their dialogue around non-rhotic speech patterns."

'The Town' movie review -- 'The Town' showtimes - The Boston Globe

Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
Are people from Jersey like the people on the Jersey Shore? Is everyone from LA shallow and has undergone plastic surgery? Are Southerners racist?
I think you're suggesting the answer to each of these is no. And yet...

Just kidding

Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
I haven't seen the flick yet so I couldn't say, but from the descriptions above, I have to wonder if I'll bother. Holden's clip from the Globe's review makes me think it's just yet another Ole tyme Irish gangster schtick which after Southie, that Scorcese flick, Monument Ave - the other one about C-Town, well it's seems kinda all the same.

Charlestown has a very long history and what it is/was depends very much on what era you are talking about. The most gangsterish era of C-Town history I'm aware of was probably the busing era and there is and area of Ctown with a lot of housing projects known at least in the past for significant social problems inherent with poverty(ishness). What it all boiled downed to back then was a local mob control over the neighborhood - enforcers with a usual mob agenda (not gangbanger) of local order, illicit profit, some charity front, and a whole lot of "this is our neighborhood not yours and unless we want you here don't try to move in". That's largely been the crux of the matter in most Boston turf battles - ethnically divided neighborhoods who want to maintain their identity against the influx of the next nouveau poor immigration.

The Charlestown today still consists of a strong group of rooted old world Irish working class. The projects are still there but I'm not sure what the composite or quality of life is these days. And lastly the latest invasion has been the yuppies restoring the historic areas and populating the new and converted condos. I suspect the Old world Irish there are reasonably satisfied with the yuppies as they have certainly made the real estate prices in C-town go through the roof. Whoever owned the brownstones on Monument Ave is doing good now.

To visit Charlestown now you really aren't going to see any gangsterism at all - probably not even in the North side projects. It's mostly fabulously restored colonial era neighborhoods with lots of pretty little rich girls walking around enjoying the charms of such a historic neighborhood built on a hill. It is Bunker Hill ya know. It's a mecca - a veritable holy place for the birth of democracy. It's really cute actually. And there's a college there.

So essentially, no, whatever Ben is fantasizing up and setting in C-Town, well it has nothing to do with modern C-town. Modern C-Town these days is an upscale historic attraction with some middle and working class areas. It's cute, very safe, and probably out of the price range of most people.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
The book - on which the film is based, is set in the period before the gentrification of Charlestown when it "boasted" the most armored car robbers per capita in the country.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:43 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
The book - on which the film is based, is set in the period before the gentrification of Charlestown when it "boasted" the most armored car robbers per capita in the country.
Oh, that makes more sense. I didn't read the book, but saw the movie last weekend. As we were leaving the theatre, my husband told me he went to high school (Latin) with a guy from Charlestown who became a bank robber.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Unless I have confused the area of town that I think is Charlestown with something else...all I can say is that it is still inhabited with thugs and poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston