Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM

109 posts, read 359,037 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, so I have another question about commuting around Boston. If my husband and I relocate for his work, I'm wondering about the change in commute times driving vs. mass transit. He's pretty adamant that he wants to have around a 45 min or less commute. I'm having a hard time finding housing within our budget in a good school district within that range for mass transit. The great thing is his position would come with free parking.

So, when is the rush hour? If he could leave earlier or later to come and go, how far out could we look and still be under the 45-60 mins commute. His job in Cambridge isn't super convenient to a subway or train stop, it's across from the MIT rugby field if that helps. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Should have asked this as well! Is there a particular direction or route that tends to lend to a better drive time?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 19,500 times
This is a good question. Given what it feels like to make a "normal" commute into Cambridge, I think the Boston Highway Authority must be getting kickbacks from the Prozac company.

Rush hour starts very early, peaks around 8, and doesn't really clear up until close to noon. Many --maybe even all-- of the routes into the city are complete nightmares in the morning, with traffic completely stopped for over a mile (eg. Route 2).

Since you're looking for places with "good" schools, here's some specific advice:

•Do not consider Lexington. Besides being expensive, the commute is more than 45 minutes (no matter what Google maps says).

•Arlington or Belmont would be possibilities, at least on their near-to-the-city sides.

•I think Newton and Brookline are worth a look, although they can be pricey and my knowledge of those commutes is entirely second hand.

It might help you to get your info on school systems from parents and not from general reputations. As far as magazines and realtors are concerned, a school is only great if it has flashy-looking programs, high SAT scores, and prestigious college acceptances. If you've been going on reputation, you might have overlooked somewhere perfect for you.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalukon View Post
It might help you to get your info on school systems from parents and not from general reputations. As far as magazines and realtors are concerned, a school is only great if it has flashy-looking programs, high SAT scores, and prestigious college acceptances. If you've been going on reputation, you might have overlooked somewhere perfect for you.
Thanks for that. Since I'm not from the area it is tough to judge, and I end up relying on rankings from sites like greatschools.org. I know this isn't totally reliable as the school my kids are in right now is only a 7, but we are very close to some districts that are nationally ranked, so if you're comparing then it's not so bad. And, I do really like the current schools we have. I'll have to start a whole new thread about schools.

When you're talking very early, are we talking 6 a.m. or earlier? Is it fair to say that during or close to rush hour you should double a google estimate? It seems to me that there are plenty of great places to live around Boston, but the areas with the closest commutes are really costly (as I would expect), so does everyone just suck up the commute? What do you think most people view as a reasonalbe commute time in Boston?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM

304 posts, read 774,622 times
Arlington is having some terrible budget problems, I would be wary about moving there right now:
Arlington town manager warns cuts needed soon - The Boston Globe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston