Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:16 AM

20 posts, read 64,050 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old college graduate who has had my heart set on living in a city. I would be by myself (no friends/no family), most likely looking to live with a roommate(s), and most likely looking for an entry-level job with a Bachelor's Degree. College was amazing and the best times of my life. But I'm not looking to settle down yet. At all. I'm still ready to experience so much and be YOUNG! I know the "real world" is not like college anymore: But I'm really looking to still experience an exciting life before a typical "family life" would start.

I have heard over & over again how expensive, dangerous and "it's NOT sex & the city" living in a city, like Boston (for ex) is. NYC is extremely too large and fast-paced for me, but I think I'm still interested in a CITY, nonetheless. I am desperately looking to meet other young professionals like me, entertainment and a good experience for my 20s, especially my early 20s, as a single. Can anyone offer the realities (cost of living, career opportunities, expenses, transportation, making friends, nightlife) of living in Boston for 20 somethings in my same situation??? Am I dreaming up a fantasy?

THANK YOU!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 06:51 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,804 times
You're going to love living in Boston. It seems like yesterday when I was in your shoes only I was IN the city already and wanted to live some where OUT of the city, isn't that funny how it is? Well, now it's your turn. The City is waiting for you. It's up to you on where you want to live though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you pick a great neighborhood. You want a neighborhood near the MBTA, so remember that. Cambridge or Somerville are good choices, especially Porter Square or Inman Square if you see those areas.

If you go to craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events there's SO many people like you in the same shoes, looking to live in Boston but need a roof over their heads! There's roommates on there looking for YOU right now in their early 20's searching for that 3rd or 4th roommate. If you go in to craigslist under rooms to share you'll see TONS of other neighborhoods all around Boston too with places to live. Your share of the rent is what they're looking for.

If I were you? I'd go there and go on a few interviews to see what you think and who knows? May be you'll end up moving there sooner than you think. That one I saw in the North End yesterday sounds ideal for you, there's TONS of people in your age group looking right now for September 1st, 15th and October 1st to move in. It's pretty reasonable rent too that these roommates need it seems, there's a lot in their early 20's like you and will have that same city life attitude that you have and will be able to hook you up with where to go and all that while you're living in or around Boston.

Use your head though too with it all you know what I mean, I'm sure! Some times people don't have the same intentions as you and others can be ridiculous in their life style attitudes! You just have to decide if that's for you or if it's not, that's all, I can tell you MY mind was made up quick when I was your age, it doesn't take a scientist to figure out what I'm talking about! I can tell you SO many stories of roommates we had! (OH brother can I ever!!) But that's what you're going to have to find out about as you're going along. Hey, it's your call, always remember that.

The closer you live to downtown Boston, the better off you'll be. You want to try to live right near the MBTA, whether by train or bus. I personally think the North End is SO ideal, imagine you can walk to work, WALK TO WORK!! Even being able to walk home at reasonable hours at night and you don't need a car to live there. It's one place that you would love to live I guarantee it! There's roommates looking for you right in that North End like I said!

There's Charlestown with the orange line connection of the MBTA as well as their MBTA bus through the streets of the town. South Boston has the Copley MBTA bus or the #9 bus to zip you right in to South Station's Financial District in seconds. There's also Somerville, so look for Inman Square and Cambridge is ideal too, look for Porter Square, it's got the MBTA red line connection as well as their MBTA buses and you'd be in downtown Boston in seconds from any one of these places. That's why you want to live closer to the City, if not right IN the city. It's ideal to get to work, AND of course importantly to go out at night after work. You'd be right there and can get back to your condo or apartment in seconds.

Definitely go to Craigslist first, possibly go there too for a job search in Boston. You'll find a job in the city without a doubt in my mind! There's people looking for YOU to come work for THEM, not vice versa these days, especially at YOUR age! You are desperately needed by them, trust me! These corporations are all over the City especially right in the heart of the Financial District and at a lot of the Hospitals. For instance the Mass. General Hospital or the NE Medical, or any one of those hospitals in Boston.

As far as roommates and all that you probably should go with having them right now, hey, they'll have friends and will know where your age group hangs out and where you should be to hang out with them! I can tell you that my nieces that are your age LOVE Faneuill Hall and for some reason lately they're talking about Kenmore Square, it must be hopping over there these days again, you'll have to find out and let us know! Whatever!!!! They're having a grand old time on weekends for themselves at my "old stomping grounds"
in Boston!

Good luck and take care, BE SAFE and CAUTIOUS TOO, you know what I mean! It's a different society out there now than when I was living there.
Make sure you have your wits about you ALL the time and you'll be fine!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,841,716 times
I love this testimonial to city life from a woman who lived in Boston after college, then moved away. She's writing to someone like you (screen name Megadoodle) comparing it to Providence, which most people think of as an exciting city in itself but "lame" she says in comparison to Boston.

Quote:
I have lived in both Boston and Provodence. Boston from when I was aged 19-27 and Providence age 27-34. Boston is a million times more fun, has so much more to do, is filled with so many more people your age. Every night is a party in Boston, especially in the nicer weather! Plus, there are so many more options for where to work and live in Beantown. Providence IMO, is totally overrated, has NOTHING going on, the wages stink, and it is very hard to meet people. Can you get a job and live in Boston? I really think any 22 year old would prefer Boston over Providence any day!! I never got used to how lame Providence was, and I always missed living in Boston. Good luck!
With an endorsement like that, how can you go wrong?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Thank you for your responses!!! I REALLY appreciate it.
Citygirl:
you seem to really understand my position. My parents are concerned about moving and then finding a job (no money for rent etc.) or finding a job without living in Boston/not in the city for interviews.
What do people do when they want to relocate??

Old 08-26-2007, 05:26 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,804 times
Well they have every reason to be concerned, I'd be the same way if I had a daughter moving to the city for the first time, especially with the way it is NOW out in the world, yikes, God bless you and them, I don't have to worry about those things! The first thing you have to do is get the job wrapped up. Then once you have a good amount of pay checks stashed away? Then you can figure out where you're going to live in the City. That's actually the most important thing that you have to think about and get going on. Here's a list of the Fortune 100 top companies below that I copied for you, so check it out and see if there's any of these in downtown Boston may be? I'm sure you'll get a lot of different suggestions from people here, so keep checking back. Did you major in business, you said? Well you go girl! You're at a good starting point (and age!) to get a position that pays extremely well as you're going up the ladder and if you play your cards right? You might be able to do just that in the Financial District of Boston if that's what your goals are, then you GO for it....Here's a list of Fortune 100 Top MBA Employers to get your wheels turning. Get that resume ready.....

FORTUNE 100 Top MBA Employers 2006

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM

Well actually I graduated in Journalism. But nonetheless, I am considering staying at home w/ my parents and working/saving... Then moving. Seems like the best bet. Thanks again. You're much help.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,652,723 times
You shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a job, depending what type of job you are looking for. Boston has been losing quite a bit of the 24-35 year old crowd so they do need young people. You will run into lots of young people anyways, especially during college season.

Friends can sometimes be difficult to make in Boston. The suggestion of moving in with someone who needs a roommate would be ideal. Then you would know someone and they will probably also have other friends. It would also be cheaper than trying to rent a one bedroom apartment.

You can always move and see how it goes. If the city works out for you then great, if not your young enough to go somewhere else.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Of the concerns you ask about, the first one I would address would be the cost of living. Assuming that you will be looking for work in a field that's geographically flexible, so that you can find a job in pretty much any large city, I would address the cost of living first, since that will affect you no matter what. Issues such as safety, your reaction to the pace of city life, etc., will depend a lot on you personally, but the cost of living affects everyone. I agree with the suggestions made above to look for a roommate. Many young people even have several roommates, who go in together to rent a house. If you're looking at a typical entry-level job, it would be hard to swing the cost of rent right in the city of Boston, if you expected to live alone in one of the units in an apartment building, so roommates are a good way to ease those living costs, as well as giving you that foot in the door socially.

In addition to the places Citygirl suggested to look for an apartment, I would also recommend checking into the Brighton section of Boston and the Chestnut Hill section of Newton. These areas are very close to the central part of Boston, but may often have rents a little lower than those right in the central city. These areas are also near B.C. and B.U., and have large student populations. This means more opportunities to find roommates your age, as well as the possibility of social contact with people you might meet in neighborhood eateries or coffee shops.

Where do you go for nightlife when you start making those social contacts? Many of the biggest clubs are in the Back Bay area. Several are in or near Kenmore Square (not sure if it's strictly speaking part of Back Bay, but near the edge of it at least). You'll find some smaller, less rowdy nightspots around the Quincy Market/waterfront areas, and a number of cozy, intimate kinds of restaurants in the North End (hope you like Italian food).

About getting around to those places. Boston is a very compact city. Most of the stuff people go to the city for is located in one central area surrounding downtown. You can walk to a lot of places you'd want to get to, and reach the rest with a quick ride on the T. The disadvantage of this compactness is that all those people pouring into that one small area can make for some traffic headaches if you're driving. All the close-in suburbs that people have mentioned here are covered by public transit, so if you're living in one of these areas, or right in the city, often you're better off leaving the car at home, maybe not even owning wheels at all. Be aware, though, that the T shuts down kind of early at night. Depending on where your stop is, the last chance to catch a subway or bus will usually be anywhere from a few minutes past midnight to around 1AM, so you'd be taking a cab home if you stayed out until the bars closed.

From what you said in your opening post, about feeling NYC may be too much city for you, Boston may well be your place to experience city living. The frenetic pace is not completely absent, but is way less than it is in NYC, yet Boston still offers a lot of that city experience. Best of luck and take care.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,020 times
Smile Questions for 22 yrs old Grad

Hi. I'm a 20 yr old college student looking to move to a big city-like Boston- for the same reasons you have listed. Its not as fast paced as New York and I think I would been able to still have a fun but safe "city life". I want to be young for a little while longer and have always dreamed of living in a city. I will not graduate for another 2 yrs so I am a little further behind on my plan to move. I was just looking at different things online yesterday and found your post. And I was just wondering if you wouldnt mind keeping me posted on how things work out for you and if there is any advice that you could give me from your own personal experiences. I have always dreamed about this and I am hoping to make it a reality in a couple of years. Thanks for all your help and I hope to hear from you very soon. Good luck with everything!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 49,692 times
Default My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad88 View Post
I am a 22 year old college graduate who has had my heart set on living in a city. I would be by myself (no friends/no family), most likely looking to live with a roommate(s), and most likely looking for an entry-level job with a Bachelor's Degree. College was amazing and the best times of my life. But I'm not looking to settle down yet. At all. I'm still ready to experience so much and be YOUNG! I know the "real world" is not like college anymore: But I'm really looking to still experience an exciting life before a typical "family life" would start.

I have heard over & over again how expensive, dangerous and "it's NOT sex & the city" living in a city, like Boston (for ex) is. NYC is extremely too large and fast-paced for me, but I think I'm still interested in a CITY, nonetheless. I am desperately looking to meet other young professionals like me, entertainment and a good experience for my 20s, especially my early 20s, as a single. Can anyone offer the realities (cost of living, career opportunities, expenses, transportation, making friends, nightlife) of living in Boston for 20 somethings in my same situation??? Am I dreaming up a fantasy?

THANK YOU!!!!!
Hello,

I am 21 years old and I have been living in Boston for 5 years now. I would like to offer you a realistic point of view, but first be warned that I am a bit jaded as I have lived in Massachusetts all my life and I am trying to get out of this state to move somewhere a bit nicer!

Firstly this city is WAY to over priced. My boyfriend and I are pulling in over $50,000 a year together and that is still not enough money to live off of just to cover rent, car, insurance and food. My boyfriend works for the state of Massachusetts and I am an Administrative Assistant and we are both working fulltime. We pay $800 a month for an apartment 15 miles north of Boston that we can’t afford to put furniture in. It seems no matter how much more money we bring in, there is still not enough money to cover the cost of life here in Boston.

[SIZE=3]I moved up here 5 years ago because the thought of living in the city was exciting to me, my boyfriend lived on the North shore of Boston all of his life and I thought it would be good to have the familiarity as a comfort to us. Boston is a small city and I do feel generally safe living here however this very dirty overly priced city has taken its toll on me and we are now trying to move on.[/SIZE]

The night life here is great as long as you are on the cutting edge of fashion and enjoy getting wasted every night. It seems everyone has their own cliques out at the bar, which are almost impossible to break into unless you are gorgeous and willing to throw your opinions out the window. You must only like and do the things they like to do.

My boyfriend is in a very successful band up here in Boston and we are at the clubs on a weekly basis so that he can play shows with his group. My disgust for all of the mindless people who flood into the bars every night and proceed to act like total idiots every night never seems to fade. The best thing to keep in mind is that the younger people up here just seem to be generally mean and bitchy. It can be almost impossible to meet new people and make new friends unless you are in college and living at the dorms.

Right now my boyfriend and I are looking into moving to Chicago as the cost of living is about 1/2 that of Boston’s even though the pay up there is very similar (they have 4 bedroom luxury apartments on the water for $800 a month!) and it seems that the people over there are generally a bit more laid back than those in Boston.

Trust me city living is not at all like Sex in the City (all though I wish it were). The city is harsh and cold, it will eat you up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston