Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times

Advertisements

We will be staying in Wakefield, Ma next week. Is wise to drive into Boston and park for the day or are we better off taking the commuter rail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
In almost all cases we advise out of towners to take the T. Boston streets are a spaghetti grid, signage is spotty, congestion is high, driving is combative, meter maids are ferocious, and parking runs as high as $40/day. With snow it is exponentially worse.

The T is cheap and comfy(ish). There are cabs everywhere once you get into town.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:47 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Cool Take the "T"

There's commuter rail right in Wakefield Center
There's also a bus to Oak Grove (Orange Line Station in Medford From Wakefield)
and you could also drive down 93 and park at Sullivan Square Station (Orange Line)

Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
Thank you both for the info. I will investigate them both

Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Great advice above. My only question to you would be, when are you visiting Boston (weekend or weekday) and do you need to be in town extra early or late at night at all?

In most instances, the T is the better option. However, if you're traveling with 3 or 4 people and heading into town on the weekend, it's actually cheaper to park in Boston and a bit easier. Weekend rates at parking garages are a lot lower than they are during the week (as was mentioned, up to $40). In many garages, you can park for $12 or so all day on Saturday or Sunday and that doesn't include free parking on many street spaces. Because it's not the work week, there's much less traffic to deal with in town. If you're heading in on a weekend, it may just be more convenient to drive than to worry about train schedules.

Also, if you plan on staying out late (partying, late dinner, etc) having a car is better. The "T" shuts down between 12:30 and 1am and the last commuter rail trains are generally around 11pm. if you're going to be in town (on weekday OR weekend) late, driving is easier.

However, if you're heading in during a weekday, the train is the most convenient bet. It's easy, reliable, and you can avoid the stress of driving.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 AM

613 posts, read 2,308,010 times
On weekends, the underground Boston Common garage is $11 for 24 hr parking and the garage is open 24 hrs (entry is on on right hand side of Charles Street between Boylston and Beacon Streets). The garage is very conveniently located between Boston Common and the Public Garden and close to T stops.

However, everyone is correct that public transportation is the way to go on weekdays.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
We were in Boston Saturday just past. Drove in from out Worcester way and the traffic was fine. Took about 40 minutes each way with a stop at Dunkin' Donuts for cawfee on the way in.

We parked at 75 State Street Garage which is right at Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market and with a validation from a market place merchant or vendor you get a $3 discount bringing the total cost of parking for the day to a grand sum of $11. A bargain really!

We got our validation at the information booth so we didn't even have to buy anything to get it. (Not that we didn't buy anything! I challenge anyone to go to Quincy Market and not buy ANYTHING! )

The 75 State Street Garage is very conveniently located, particularly if you're wanting to do a section of the Freedom Trail. It's heated so when you come back to the car you're not shivering till it warms up and the whole parking garage is secure, kept beautifully clean and has disabled parking and access and an elevator too. It's rare I am enamored of parking garages but this one really is excellent and I thoroughly recommend it if you're taking the car.

Visitor Information - Parking | Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Hope you have a wonderful day in Boston. I certainly did! It's a beautiful city!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 AM

82 posts, read 287,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
In almost all cases we advise out of towners to take the T. Boston streets are a spaghetti grid, signage is spotty, congestion is high, driving is combative, meter maids are ferocious, and parking runs as high as $40/day. With snow it is exponentially worse.

The T is cheap and comfy(ish). There are cabs everywhere once you get into town.
What he said.

Driving is no fun on slushy streets either. And if you're not used to Boston drivers or familiar with all the one way streets, it can stress you out. Lots of local traffic here too.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:31 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Default Pahhkin in Boston--Govt Center Garage

I might suggest the Government Center Garage if you drive in

Government Center Parking in Downtown Boston Garage - GovernmentCenterGarage.com

$34 maximum per day

Faneuil Hall Parking and Boston Financial District Parking – GovernmentCenterGarage.com

Night and weekend rates:

Enter after 5pm and exit before 5am M-F rate = $10

Weekend rates Sat/Sun = $10

These rates are not valid for evenings of Boston Garden events or days
so make sure there's not a bruins game that day

Boston Common Garage would be your next best bet or to park at one ot the "T" lots like Oak Grove , Wellington or Sullivan Square and take the "T" in if you're only going in for a few hours during the day or for the day

Do not park at the New England Aquarium Garage its a RIP OFF

The event rate up to 8 hours is $25 for the Government Center garage

the Government Center garage is within walking distance to the financial district/waterfront, etc etc. / Boston Common , Downtown Crossing etc.

Here's info on the Boston Common Garage
Welcome To MCCA

Keep in mind - parking meters in non-resident parking areas are free after 6pm
Every day and free on Sundays all day

Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,762 times
If I am staying in the north end for 3-4 days, where can I safely (and cheaply) park over the Labour Day weekend from Saturday to Tuesday? Would it be better to drive out to one of the T stations and leave my car there? Do they even allow overnight parking? I am planning on using public transit the entire time I'm in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston