Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,588 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We are moving into Boston in another month and moving in the middle of the year, are looking at potential private schools for our two elementary aged kids. My older one is pretty advanced and he needs to be challenged. The younger one is very smart but very laid back and will probably be able to adjust to any place. The two schools that have middle of the year space appear to be Park School in Brookline and the British School of Boston in JP. Do any of you have any feedback/experience with these schools? Is the British school very regimented (as some people online seem to think?) Does the Park School not prepare you for prep school or college later and is it too laid back? Anything that you would warn me about with these schools? Any personal very good experiences with either of these schools? I would love some feedback and input!
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,411 times
Hi BostonMom --
You might also explore The Atrium School in Watertown, which is on the Watertown/Cambridge/Belmont line. Depending on the ages of your children, you might have some possibilities here.

Full disclosure: I do work part-time on behalf of the school's communications efforts, so please know that this is not an impartial endorsement, just a suggestion.

Serving PreK (age 4) – Grade 6, The Atrium offers small classes, passionate faculty, and an innovative curriculum that includes Spanish in all grades, violin in partnership with New England Conservatory, and urban nature study at the adjacent Mt. Auburn Cemetery. For 30 years, our graduates have emerged curious and capable, welcomed by public and independent next-schools throughout the Boston area.

The school's website is atrium.org and you can see some reviews online at
Parent Reviews of Atrium School - Watertown, Massachusetts - MA

Good luck in your search!
Regards,
Niki

Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Niki, thank you for the reply and for posting. We are open to looking at any good school and will certainly look at the Atrium!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 AM

234 posts, read 629,006 times
Where are you going to be living?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 AM

Not 100% sure as yet, maybe downtown Boston, maybe Cambridge, maybe Brookline/Newton. I work downtown so its convenient getting there from any of the places. We would work around the school.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,711 times
Hi Boston Mom,
I actually work at the British School and would like to invite you to come visit the school. It is a very happy learning environment where the children are able to progress at their own level. The teachers personalize every child's learning journey to specifically meet their needs. Your elder child would definitely be challenged. Obviously I am a little biased, but we would be proud to show you around the school so that you can make your own judgments. The Park School is also a lovely school, so you should look around both and choose a good fit for your children. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Dear Teacher Boston,
Thank you so much for your imput. Since you teach there and have the inside information, may I ask you a few questions? I fully intend to visit but since we're not moving till later, school may be out for summer recess at that time. If you'd rather I can email you or PM you the questions.
Thank you so mch!!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,711 times
Hello again, if you could let me have your email or contact details, I would be happy to email you. Or alternatively please feel free to contact the school via the school website and ask to speak with the admissions director or the Head of the Primary school.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston