Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:02 PM

7 posts, read 27,792 times

Advertisements

As the title suggests, my wife and I are newly married. I am relocating to Boston in a month or so from Charleston, SC. I will be working close to the Courthouse (near South Station).

From what I can make out word of mouth is the best way to find a place in Boston. I have only been to Boston once for the interview so really need some help and advice from you experts in here.

Which areas are most suitable for someone like me and my wife? Don't really care about schools ... Care most about Access to downtown Boston, the safety of the area, and, the cost of living. I am hoping to keep the rent of the apartment ~1300/mo.

Given that my wife and I are recent grads... we don't mind living in a student area as long as the apartments are in decent/good condition. Don't mind living in a suburb that has good access to DT Boston either as I have a car and don't mind getting dropped off at the nearest station.

I am looking to rent an apartment (1br/1bath ... upgrade to 2br if possible). I don't mind a commute time of an hour or so. I have a car so need parking as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 04:13 PM

57 posts, read 379,234 times
try quincy

I take it your indian as in from india( nice country I spent time there) then there are quite a few people from there living in that city, the area well it's towards the south quincy

only 8 miles form the city
easy access to boston by train goes straight to south station as it has 4 stations, it's becoming very trendy so the price is going up.
average at the moment for a two bedroom is about 1200
the drive is terrible but like I said take a train which goes right to south station.
if you like chinese foods etc then its the place for you
it is quite safe and the police force is on the ball
has a little beach sort of and a marina which is nice

good luck

Last edited by manc; 07-24-2007 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 05:27 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
I'd recommend Quincy as well.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:12 PM

lived there for a few years and my wife is from there, oldest child was actually one of the last few kids born in the hospital before they closed the ward

we moved south though for a few reasons but visit every now and then

Old 07-24-2007, 08:10 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,787 times
Assuming you're Indian from India, I would recommend Somerville, Malden, Watertown, or Waltham.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:26 PM

29 posts, read 188,349 times
Framingham, Natick, Ashland, Norwood, Canton are some other areas you could consider.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 27,792 times
Thanks a lot for your responses! Please do keep them coming.

I'm not necessarily looking for a place with a high Indian population. I've been in the US for quite a while now so we don't mind rubbing noses with the locals

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as apartments go?

Any apartments to avoid.. hear anything good/bad about the management or apartments in particular in the above mentioned areas? Any good ones to lookout for?

Old 07-25-2007, 01:56 PM

are you looking at quincy if so I'd be more than happy to help you out with your question including the areas around.

Just let me know

Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,598 times
I would check out Dorchester, only certain areas though. Relatively inexpensive, easy commute on the red line to south station. I am a Realtor in the Boston area and live in Dorchester so I can help you out with areas, I just don't do rentals, but can hook you up with someone if you so desire.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchuttBoston View Post
I would check out Dorchester, only certain areas though. Relatively inexpensive, easy commute on the red line to south station. I am a Realtor in the Boston area and live in Dorchester so I can help you out with areas, I just don't do rentals, but can hook you up with someone if you so desire.
Umm, no. Their budget is $1300 for a 1 bedroom. If they can afford to live in a safer area, why would they want to pay $700 and risk getting shot or mugged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston