Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:25 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times

Advertisements

This is borderline absurd. Great, Menino gets another feather in his proverbial cap by not allowing adults to buy a Coke from the City Hall vending machine. How's the school lunch program in Boston public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
That is where your wrong. Eventually it will affect you when they start to ban things you enjoy or like. Right now it might be something you don't care about, but eventually your rights will be infringed upon.
No "thing" is being banned at all. That "on city property" phrase is critical to this legislation. I LOVE soda. I do. I probably drink it way too much (I'm not a big coffee drinker so I substitute soda). I just don't think it's a big deal that you can't buy it on city property now. As I said in my first post, I don't support the law; I'm just not outraged by it. I can still get my soda anywhere else as can any citizen.

If they ban soda from being sold anywhere within city limits, then I'll be upset. They're simply saying you can't sell it on city property. Again, I think the intended impact (healthier citizens) will be negligible at best; but I don't think it's as bad as others do as I can still get my soda just about anywhere (like everyone else can).

Quote:
Or ban vehicles as they are one of the largest killers.
Last I heard, Cars and Beer weren't sold on city property already? Again, nothing's being banned. They're just saying you can't buy it on city property.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 PM

152 posts, read 319,428 times
I think this law should make the city of Boston a little bit healthier, since at least some people will now have to walk a further distance to get a soda, which means they will get a little more exercise. This kind of reminds me of a law San Francisco was proposing about five months ago, which would have banned fast food restaurants from including toys with high-calorie kids meals, but was vetoed by their Mayor, Gavin Newsom. Even though I drink soda sometimes, if I were to move to Boston tomorrow, this law wouldn't bother me. This would probably never happen, but I wouldn't mind if Albuquerque passed a law like this one. I think it sounds like essentially a good law.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan M View Post
I think this law should make the city of Boston a little bit healthier, since at least some people will now have to walk a further distance to get a soda, which means they will get a little more exercise. This kind of reminds me of a law San Francisco was proposing about five months ago, which would have banned fast food restaurants from including toys with high-calorie kids meals, but was vetoed by their Mayor, Gavin Newsom. Even though I drink soda sometimes, if I were to move to Boston tomorrow, this law wouldn't bother me. This would probably never happen, but I wouldn't mind if Albuquerque passed a law like this one. I think it sounds like essentially a good law.
Maybe you don't care, but their are others out there and like do what they want and don't need people telling them what they consider "healthy" or "good for you". I really enjoy when some of these liberals bash christians for spreading their beliefs, but they have no problems telling everyone else how to live.

I understand this is just on city property, but when people start to play dictator it always leads to tyranny.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Bring it from home, it's cheaper.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Maybe you don't care, but their are others out there and like do what they want and don't need people telling them what they consider "healthy" or "good for you". I really enjoy when some of these liberals bash christians for spreading their beliefs, but they have no problems telling everyone else how to live.

I understand this is just on city property, but when people start to play dictator it always leads to tyranny.
I think you're overreacting a little bit. I don't like being told how to live either, but no one is telling you how to live! If you drink and buy soda, this shouldn't change things one bit for you (I do and it won't). I'm not a devout Christian by any means, but I do agree on the hypocrisy point. There's little difference between judging someone for not being religious and judging someone who likes fast food. If you believe in "live and let live," It's always good to practice what you preach and I know many ultra-liberals who are just as bad as the hyper religious conservatives in many ways. That said, Tyranny? Dictatorship? Really?

For the record, I despise Mumbles. I can't stand his back-pocket deals with developers that fail (see: Columbus Center, Filene's). I can't stand promises that he can't keep (see: bike sharing system). I can't stand his grudges against people who CAN build and bring more jobs to the city (see: Don Choifaro and the Aquarium Garage). The soda on city properties legislation? Just a drop in the bucket, IMHO as the worst thing that will come of it is the negligible drop in vendor sales on city property. Nothing compared to hundreds of millions (billions?) he's squandered elsewhere.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:57 AM

469 posts, read 1,174,984 times
Your headline is misleading. I see no problem with banning the SALE of soda on city property. When I was a city employee in Oklahoma I brought in a mtn dew every morning to help get me going. When I saw the headline I thought about this and pictured a serious civil rights violation by Boston. It is perfectly within their power to ban the sale of sugary drinks

Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
I love how our fat ass Mayor is preaching about ways to get healthy. Menino should practice not falling down before teaching us about physical fitness.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I love how our fat ass Mayor is preaching about ways to get healthy. Menino should practice not falling down before teaching us about physical fitness.
+1

Amen.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:56 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think you're overreacting a little bit. I don't like being told how to live either, but no one is telling you how to live! If you drink and buy soda, this shouldn't change things one bit for you (I do and it won't). I'm not a devout Christian by any means, but I do agree on the hypocrisy point. There's little difference between judging someone for not being religious and judging someone who likes fast food. If you believe in "live and let live," It's always good to practice what you preach and I know many ultra-liberals who are just as bad as the hyper religious conservatives in many ways. That said, Tyranny? Dictatorship? Really?

For the record, I despise Mumbles. I can't stand his back-pocket deals with developers that fail (see: Columbus Center, Filene's). I can't stand promises that he can't keep (see: bike sharing system). I can't stand his grudges against people who CAN build and bring more jobs to the city (see: Don Choifaro and the Aquarium Garage). The soda on city properties legislation? Just a drop in the bucket, IMHO as the worst thing that will come of it is the negligible drop in vendor sales on city property. Nothing compared to hundreds of millions (billions?) he's squandered elsewhere.
I agree its a small thing which kinda makes it even worse. Boston has bigger issues to deal with, and they are worried about telling people they can't get soda anymore on city property. I'm just tired of people acting like they always know best for others. It makes you wonder though, what else is next?

What they should ban on city property is our idiotic politicians. That would help more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: