Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM

17 posts, read 55,522 times

Advertisements

Ok so I have been doing a lot of research on this topic and now I think I am ready to come to the experts.

I am moving to Boston this summer. I will be working in Franklin but it seems like a town where not much happens so I am looking to live in the city, or close to it. I am just graduating college so being in the area with people my age is my ultimate goal. I frequent many forums so I will try to make this post as reader friendly as possible. What I want:

(2) Area with young population
(5) I have a car so I need parking. I dont have a problem with paying for a permit
(3) Quality nightlife and other things to do
(4) Since I will be working in Franklin I would like to be close the Purple Line (I will drive a short distance to get there if necessary)
(6) Saftey
(1) I am looking to pay no more than 1650 a month for a two bedroom.
(7) Also I am a black male so I am interested in meeting more black people. I know that there aren't many black people in the area but if possible I would like to meet black people.

From this list I have been looking into places like Brighton, Allston, Brookline, Sumerville, Brighton, Jamaica Plain and whatever you recommend. Also considering my desires what do you think of Quincy and Norwood? A friend of mines was thinking about this place but we are not necessarily going to be roomates, this is just tentative.

I dont think I missed anything but I will keep you updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
If you need access to the purple line (commuter rail), you'd need to be close to South Station or the next stop, Back Bay/South End, if you're going to Franklin.

Southie (South Boston) is a choice, but you need to take a bus or subway to transfer @ South Station. Many yuppies in Southie now, but I don't seem to see many black yuppies.

Perhaps South End or Back Bay would offer more safety for a black young professional than Southie?

Brighton would be cheaper but to far to connect at South Station.

I think a 2 BR at that price would be hard to find in an area you're targeting. Maybe IN Franklin, but not areas I just mentioned.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM

324 posts, read 1,090,005 times
I agree with Bostonguy...to keep your commute reasonable, you'll need to be close to South Station or Back Bay/South End. The thing to realize is that reverse commuting on the commuter rail is tough. There is a limited schedule, especially if you want to board at a stop other than South Station. And, it's a 45/50 minute train ride from South Station, so you'll be looking at a commute of over an hour if you are planning to live anywhere that's not quite close to South Station or one of the stops on your particular commuter rail line.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but driving to one of the commuter rail stops downtown (South Station/Back Bay) would not be possible. I don't believe there is parking there, and even if there was, driving through that are in rush hour would be no fun.

So, if you can afford it, the Back Bay or South End would be a lot of fun. But it would be very difficult to find a 2BR in your price range. A 1BR would be more possible. Mission Hill area might also work, and you could get on the commuter rail at the Ruggles stop. Except....actually you can't. I just checked the schedule and the outbound trains don't stop at Ruggles in the morning. So.....it's tough.

If you are willing to look outside the city and/or rely on your car rather than public transport, then you have a ton more options. Places like Milton, Hyde Park, and Dedham will be a bit more family oriented, as will Norwood. Quincy might be a tough drive. Dorchester, especially the area around the Ashmont T station is fun. I have a friend who lives there and really likes it.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM

44 posts, read 107,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktheTank_ View Post
Ok so I have been doing a lot of research on this topic and now I think I am ready to come to the experts.

I am moving to Boston this summer. I will be working in Franklin but it seems like a town where not much happens so I am looking to live in the city, or close to it. I am just graduating college so being in the area with people my age is my ultimate goal. I frequent many forums so I will try to make this post as reader friendly as possible. What I want:

(2) Area with young population
(5) I have a car so I need parking. I dont have a problem with paying for a permit
(3) Quality nightlife and other things to do
(4) Since I will be working in Franklin I would like to be close the Purple Line (I will drive a short distance to get there if necessary)
(6) Saftey
(1) I am looking to pay no more than 1650 a month for a two bedroom.
(7) Also I am a black male so I am interested in meeting more black people. I know that there aren't many black people in the area but if possible I would like to meet black people.

From this list I have been looking into places like Brighton, Allston, Brookline, Sumerville, Brighton, Jamaica Plain and whatever you recommend. Also considering my desires what do you think of Quincy and Norwood? A friend of mines was thinking about this place but we are not necessarily going to be roomates, this is just tentative.

I dont think I missed anything but I will keep you updated.

Since ,in English, a professional is a doctor .lawyer or clergy, I would think you will find ample chances at work.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 AM

324 posts, read 1,090,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk7 View Post
Since ,in English, a professional is a doctor .lawyer or clergy, I would think you will find ample chances at work.
Not sure what the point of this comment is, but those would be the "learned professions". A professional is someone who has a job.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 PM

44 posts, read 107,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPrincess View Post
Not sure what the point of this comment is, but those would be the "learned professions". A professional is someone who has a job.

I guess burger flipper is one of the "unlearned professions".thanks for correcting me.

A profession is a job that has a self-governing body that sets standards and has controls over who may do that job as well as well as censures for
those not meeting set standards.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Sorry, I do not mean doctor/ lawyer I just mean educated young people after college. I have been at looking at this one place in Quincy, what are your thoughts on that area? Is there anything to do in the area?

I have also been looking at Providence. What is your opinion of Providence for my desires?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 PM

I have found that the T doesnt run to franklin in the mornings so I will be driving for my commute. Is this a good idea from Allston/ Brighton/ Brookline? Is there a lot of traffic going away from Boston? I hear that going to Franklin is the opposite direction of the traffic, is this true?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 PM

24 posts, read 87,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktheTank_ View Post
I have found that the T doesnt run to franklin in the mornings so I will be driving for my commute. Is this a good idea from Allston/ Brighton/ Brookline? Is there a lot of traffic going away from Boston? I hear that going to Franklin is the opposite direction of the traffic, is this true?
If you just graduated college you may like Allston/Brighton, but I find it to be too student-centered. Rents are very expensive as well for what you get.

My impression is that being within the Boston city limits might eventually wear on you with the commute. I am from the Franklin area and commuted into Boston for years and it gets old fast. It won't be nearly as bad for you with a reverse commute, but you will still end up on the Pike or 95 south more than likely.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Framingham? It doesn't really compare to Boston, but it does have a good deal of good restaurants and decent bars. Some parts are better than others, but it is quite affordable even for a nice place. It is fairly diverse as well.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 PM

I dont know about Framingham, it sounds like too small of a small city, I would really like to be apart of a larger city. Looking more at Brookline now since it is just outside of the city limits, does it have quality access to the city? Subway or T?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston