Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM

132 posts, read 496,092 times

Advertisements

I never said the relocation had anything to do with Boston itself. How would it? I'm just helping people out to see what dangers there are about relocation packages. This can apply to anywhere. I guess you people prefer less information to more?

All the negatives have been discussed again and again in other threads.

I guess none of you saw any of the positives I wrote? Nothing to say about that? Talk about dwelling on the negatives.

As for me, I've found my niche here and although I don't like Boston, I've found things I like to do and am enjoying the summer nicely (mostly by travelling out of MA when I get a chance). It's not an easy place and all the rah-rah comments I read on this forum before coming here from lifers didn't help me one bit. I do think it's important that people moving here have more information than less. This is coming from a person that's objective, working on a PhD, runs a yearly marathon and has a 6-figure salary.

Actually, you'd need a pill or some sort of brain modification to exist here. I guess that's why drinking is an obsession here.

Last edited by gilwood; 07-13-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
You would think someone with such an impressive pedigree as you would have better negotiated his relocation package or at least, insisted on more details about it. I mean, that's what any triathaloner who pulls in a million would do.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
Actually, you'd need a pill or some sort of brain modification to exist here. I guess that's why drinking is an obsession here.
Really? Comments like this, and you wonder where the personal attacks come from? Instead of working on your PhD, try working on tactful dialog.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM

40 posts, read 108,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I never said the relocation had anything to do with Boston itself. How would it? I'm just helping people out to see what dangers there are about relocation packages. This can apply to anywhere. I guess you people prefer less information to more?

All the negatives have been discussed again and again in other threads.

I guess none of you saw any of the positives I wrote? Nothing to say about that? Talk about dwelling on the negatives.

As for me, I've found my niche here and although I don't like Boston, I've found things I like to do and am enjoying the summer nicely (mostly by travelling out of MA when I get a chance). It's not an easy place and all the rah-rah comments I read on this forum before coming here from lifers didn't help me one bit. I do think it's important that people moving here have more information than less. This is coming from a person that's objective, working on a PhD, runs a yearly marathon and has a 6-figure salary.

Wow you dont sound like an whinging douchebag at all. This is from a person who's biased, did some college, has a beer belly and has a six figure salary if you include the cents.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 AM

132 posts, read 496,092 times
I hope anyone that decides to move here sees what the people are like from this thread. Any sort of negative comments about boston and you'll be jumped all over. This is typical of the conformist attitudes that pervades the area. People in general here are very, very concerned about how they look and how they are perceived by others. It's very difficult to work in an environment where noone can face up to even small mistakes.

All I have to say is: Move to Boston if you wish, but you've been warned!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
People are just making fun of you for being so whiny. Lighten up.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM

30 posts, read 55,389 times
Sorry, but I never saw your answer to "Where did you relocate from?" I'm especially curious...did you even visit Boston before you accepted the relocation package? I found Boston to be very welcoming. I ate at a different type restaurant every night (Burger, Italian, Seafood, Indian, etc) and found an abundance of culinary options. I'm from TN so Boston is totally different from anything I have at home, but it was a great experience. You just have to open yourself up to the community and you'll fit in just fine. If you start out with an awful attitude, you'll always be miserable anywhere you go. I personally hope to make a living in Boston after college. It is truly a fascinating place. )

Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Can there be bland food? Well yeah if you order bland food.

Watch the Phantom Gourmet sometime
Welcome to Phantom Gourmet's Online Dining Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston