Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:14 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

BostonJad reminded me of a good point-I'd like to see outdoor heaters at T stops. Chicago has them at most L stops (they're disabled during warmer months). sure they get crowded quickly, but they are such a relief during long waits outside and could be quite useful at commuter rail and street level green line stops

Aren't the stops underneath the streets?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
A real mayor.
LOL, Boston's had the same mayor since God was young.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
[i]

Aren't the stops underneath the streets?
No, not all. Most are not.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
LOL, Boston's had the same mayor since God was young.
I met a guy a number of years ago that lived in mass...moved to florida...moved back...menino is still mayor!?!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
What do you do to replace service for Roslindale and West Roxbury? A Green Line branch to Needham makes sense, but only if you do an Orange Line extension for Roslindale/West Roxbury.
I really like this idea. The central GL subway already handles four lines, why should most of them terminate downtown? It should branch North of Boston into as many distinct destinations as it does West of Boston.

There's nothing wrong with Back Bay Station (not a terminal, by the way). It may be a bit ugly, but it is very functional. I'd advocate for a pedestrian tunnel via Dartmouth to connect the Orange Line station with Copley Station (similar to the Winter St. Concourse connecting DTX with Park Street).

See my comments earlier in the post about branching the Green Line. It makes sense for the same reason that you've suggested a Northside branch for the Red Line makes sense. Let's keep the Green Line suggestion and send the Red Line branch to Watertown or Brighton.

So let's see, I'm now advocating for 6 extensions on three lines!
1. Theres actually an abandoned line with semi preserved ROW from Needham JCT to Bellingham , I would restore service on that line. And then instead of terminating at Needham JCT train service would go south to Bellingham. Theres also a old unused line to Milford which could be restored and meet up with this line. The Green line would replace the current line from Needham JCT to Newtown Highlands.... I'm sure about an Orange line extension of any kind , but Infill stations could be added in some areas. I think the Green line should go under Cambridge ,it would go east to west and connect all the T lines , that would take alot of pressure off the Downtown Tunnel. There are plans to extend it to Somerville / Medford , but I think it should also go to Everett , Chelsea and Cambridge.

2. A Warmer and more attractive station boosts ridership and investment in the surrounding neighborhood. Which seemed dead when I was there. Providence Station also needs to get a makeover , these stations are gateways into your cities and they should look attractive.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:21 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Providence Station also needs to get a makeover.
This.

Providence's station is a mess. The most recent plans for the light rail lines don't include a spur to the station either. They want to run shuttles to/from Kennedy Plaza which I'm not so keen on (though I do see how a PVD station stop is out of the way in a College Hill-Downtown-Hospitals route).

Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Actually when it comes to it the one thing I'd wish it would have...

Jobs.

I know the unemployment rate might seem lower than the national level but when it comes down to it due to our higher educational level per capita it just makes it easier to leave.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM

158 posts, read 545,839 times
Diners.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:38 PM

158 posts, read 545,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Eh, I don't know about Staggering. There are many places that close at 1am (or 12:30 even) vs. 2am. People from these bars just stumble into the places that are open until 2am and then leave with the rest of the 2am crowd.

A 4am Last Call like NYC would be great. Many people would call it a night by 1-2am and the rest would trickle out between 2 and 4am. I've gone out in NYC many times and by 4am, all but a few of the most popular bars are quiet by last call. There's nothing like the rush of people on the streets that you get in Boston. And you have the subway which is great.
That's not really a staggered closing, just places that close a little early.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdw View Post
I would agree with everyone that there needs to be a 24/7 subway and also more late night restaurants. I used to live in NYC and it is definitely very convenient. I live almost on a college campus so I have some food options but I know outside of that its rough.

Also, on the subject of the subway, I wish the green line trains did not always end at Government Center when North Station is only two stops further. I can't wait until it goes all the way to Lechmere again.
Well, is there a need for 24/7 subway/trolly service? I've been through many places in Boston at all sorts of hours, and Boston seems to be relatively dead after say 1 am. Sure, some people would have need for a late night/early morning subway, but I'm not sure if there is enough need from the population as a whole to warrant such service.

New York really cannot be used as an example as it is truly a 24/7 city. Heck, you can see a Play at 3 am, if you like. Boston definitely has a closing time.

But....it would be nice if it started to run a bit earlier. There have been a few times when I had to spend $$$$ on a cab because I had a 6:30 am flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston