Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:33 AM

68 posts, read 107,813 times

Advertisements

So without going into great detail I'm graduating with my bachelors degree in May..but I decided I dont want to do what it's specialized in...but anyway someone said Boston was a good place for people my age who still want to get out and do things (he said it was like a college town for people to old for college)

But I'm curious how hard is it to find a job and a place to live (assume I'm essentially running away from home bringing only my car and basic living essentials, because that is pretty much what I'd be doing) (Of course I would be looking for a job before I leave)

Housing wise..it doesn't bother me (I used to live in a 20x30 dorm room with 2 other males) Living in a 1 room apartment is ok to me, likewise living with a bunch of other people is fine (That one is probably better because it would be a way to make friends and other things someone foreign to the area would need)

Lastly I come from Pittsburgh so I'm really not to concerned about cleanliness or alcoholism (1/4 of our city is pretty much an extended bar) But is it safe? In general do you feel safe living in Boston (or the local areas around that I've been recommended to consider)

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:03 AM

also I must be curious how is the cost of living? At least in comparison to how much average wages are?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
The cost of living is going to be higher
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney
Mostly housing and healthcare.

I don't think that boston is dangerous. We are pretty open about crime these days with the internet. Yes it still exists but the stats are online. Things have cleaned up significantly in the past 20 years. Traffic still exists but at least the construction of the big dig is over.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Howz this look for a 23 yr old?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM

474 posts, read 495,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Howz this look for a 23 yr old?
Don't see anything in the picture that's anyway related to the OP's question.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM

it looks like a very crowded college town but I approve

Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM

green it does suggest quite a bit, being as almost everyone in the picture appears to be roughly mid 20's or younger it would suggest that it is an area that people my age tend to favor.

But at the same time how is the job market and such? I glanced on craigslist and it seems that cost of living would be quite high (unless you are sharing a place with many people, not that I mind at all)

Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
The Boston metro area has the second lowest unemployment rate among the 15 largest US metros (after DC). As with anywhere, though, certain industries are more represented than others. What do you have experience with? That would probably determine how easy it is for you to find a job.

The adjusted cost of living in the Boston metro for the average salary is actually quite good; but those average salary numbers are inflated by a large portion of the population employed in high-paying fields like high tech, medicine, and higher ed. It can be tough for a young person just starting out in a low-paying field, but as you've noticed, a lot of people just cram together in one apartment to save money.

Even if you do have a high income, your money isn't going to go as far in terms of modernness or square footage in housing as in most other cities. But that's just supply-and-demand: a lot of people want to live in or near Boston, but we have an older and more limited housing stock.

I've never felt unsafe in Boston (unlike when I lived in LA, heh). As with any large city, there are neighborhoods that are probably better avoided if you're really concerned about your statistical odds of being the victim of a crime.

Boston isn't always as crowded as the picture posted; that looks like Newbury Street on a weekend, which is probably the heaviest pedestrian traffic you'll encounter anywhere in the city. Boston is very dense, to be sure, but generally a walk down the street isn't nearly as crowded or hectic as it is in Manhattan, for example.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
If that picture is Newbury Street on a weekend afternoon it's a safebet most people in that picture are tourists or in town from the suburbs. Just saying. It's not a particularly accurate potrayal of the city.

Boston is a young city for sure. It's not too difficult to find a roommate situation. This is what most people your age do, as it's much less expensive than living alone. Do you have a lot of money saved? Do you think you'll be able to find a job in your desired field?

Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
If that picture is Newbury Street on a weekend afternoon it's a safebet most people in that picture are tourists or in town from the suburbs. Just saying. It's not a particularly accurate potrayal of the city.
I'm not so sure about that. Most people in that photo don't strike me as the typical tourist crowds (not too surprising since I'm guessing that was taken in April, an off-season month), who usually gravitate to the Freedom Trail anyway.

It's difficult to know where everyone comes from, but there's certainly no lack of Back Bay yuppies who frequent Newbury Street, not to mention plenty of hipsters who probably reside in Allston.

As for not being an accurate portrayal of the city, I would say that's probably true only insofar as socioeconomic status is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: