Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,181 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm a non-city-girl looking at the possibility of taking a job in downtown Boston, but I've never been there, so I've been collecting advice on where to live. Best case scenario would be a cheap studio for me and my cat, but of course, the rental market in Boston is a bit crazy compared to nearly everywhere else.

Lynn seems like an option, but there isn't much recent advice, so I thought I'd throw a line out to see what people could tell me.

Any advice and suggestions for alternatives are very welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,233 times
There are some OK single family homes in some OK neighborhoods. Good deals if you don't care about the school system.

But being a 'non-city gir'l who is going to be living alone in a cheap-o apartment, I'd say avoid Lynn. Look into Salem or Beverly. Or the Beachmont section of Revere.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM

6 posts, read 18,311 times
I am a life long lynn resident and i will try to brake it down for you. Basically lynn is a old factory urban center that has a bad rep. it is home to a large immagrant community mostly central american and carribean . it is also right on the ocean and with in 9 miles to Bostons downtown. you have the T with many Buses connecting to downtown and to wonderland on the Blue line and also the commuter rail. But if you want to live in the city but cant afford downtown or south end, back bay ,Charlestown, southie even Cambridge or Somerville then Lynn is a good choice. You got a true urban city landscape but not have to pay as much for it. Like i already said Lynn is on the ocean you have Nahant beach Revere beach really close to you lynn shore drive with red rock is also nice, and Lynn woods which is the country's second largest city park after with awesome mountain biking and walking hiking trails some of the best in greater boston. So I know people are going to try to tell you that lynn is such a bad place and not to ever go there but most of them probably never even been to lynn. Places like chelsea, lynn, eastie, revere all have a bad rep but really I just don't see it. We live in a major metropolitan it is a city you know there is a major diversity here so you have to look at the good and the bad. If you have any specific street or neighborhood I can try to give you a better understanding of what to expect... Other then that you really need to come check it out on your own...

Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 18,311 times
p.s the commuter rail is more expensive and less frequent of a service but to take the bus to wonderland which run almost every fifteen minutes during the day and then get on the subway you Pay $2 total thats bus plus subway 1.50 for bus .50 for subway and you pay the same to go back to Lynn that is your cheapest way to and from boston... so that's $4 a day unless you get a monthly link pass but you will need to get a charlie card for whatever you choice if your moving to boston..

Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,347 times
The Diamond district near the ocean and on the border with Swampscott is the nicest area of Lynn - this is where the former factory management used to live. These days the mansions got subdivided into multi-family homes, and there are a few apartment buildings and condos on the beach. This area would generally be very safe, and it's right next to 3 miles of walkable beachfront, and is very nice. People would tell you to stay away from Lynn, because it's the most urban and diverse area with generally higher crime rate, than other suburban towns, but it's not nearly as bad as Dochester, where there are constant reports of drive-by shootings. You don't hear that as much in Lynn, it would be mostly drug-related crime, domestic issues, or some car break-ins here and there.

I would try Revere as well, it has somewhat better schools and better rep, although it's also very diverse and urban. But it's on the Blue Line, which gives you much better access to Boston. And it has a long stretch of Revere Beach, which is the first public beach in America. It used to be mostly full of Italian immigrants, then they moved out to further suburbs, and now it's mostly immigrants from the Caribbean, Central and South America.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 7,181 times
Thanks everyone. With some further looking, I'm shifting my search to the metro west area for now.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
I was coming into this thread ready to say "Lynn's not as bad as many here are making it out to be!" but the responses were reasonable, helpful, and spot on given the situation. Good stuff.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM

249 posts, read 354,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoErin View Post
Thanks everyone. With some further looking, I'm shifting my search to the metro west area for now.
Good luck! I lived in Waltham, Newton & Belmont. Renting each time and loving it, especially Waltham and Newton. You may want to look into an apartment share.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM

15 posts, read 67,542 times
I used to live right on Lynn Beach and loved it. If you would like I can give you the information on the apartment I used to rent. Lynn has some nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston