Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM

40 posts, read 193,792 times

Advertisements

I just moved from an area that had a large coffee shop with plenty of sofas where I could spend half the day getting work done. I work from home so it is nice to get out once in a while and work away from home. All the coffee shops I have been to in the city are extremely small, cramped, and comfortable with hardly any seating let alone comfortable seating. I hate the feeling that everyone is looking over my shoulder at my computer screen. Can anyone recommend a roomy city coffee shop? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Not sofa's, but Voltage Coffee and Art in Kendall has a large room and arguably the best lattes in the city. Free Wi-fi as well and alot of the seating is pretty secluded.

Voltage Coffee & Art :: Inspired. Totally Wired. Coffeehouse and art gallery in Kendall Square, Cambridge.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Do you specifically mean the downtown neighborhood?

If so, roomy cafes are going to be hard to come by--space is at a premium and high rents don't feasibly allow for the sort of businesses where people linger over a small check. I like the Thinking Cup on Tremont, but you may think that's "cramped" if you are used to more space.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 9,515 times
This isn't exactly in downtown, but I'd recommend Pavement Coffeehouse on Boylston St. (near Mass. Ave and the Hynes T stop) if you're looking for a roomy and spacious coffee shop - and, they make fantastic Spanish lattes! It used to be Espresso Royale but has since changed its name/ownership. There are a good number of college students that study there as it is right next to Berklee, New England Conservatory and Northeastern. They have other locations: one closer to Northeastern (this one has some plushy armchairs but would put you further from downtown), BU (never been), and on Newbury St. (this one is teeny).

Others:
Trident Cafe - a bookstore/cafe at the end of Newbury, also close to Hynes and Mass. Ave. I've never tried their drinks, food is meh, but it's a great place to work/study.
The Barnes and Noble at the Prudential has a Starbucks inside. Coffee's typical Starbucks but the atmosphere is relaxed and the space is open but not extremely noisy.
Render Coffee in South End. It's not roomy but it's quiet and people tend to keep to themselves, if that's what you're looking for. Kind of hipster but whatever, coffee's good.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Crln07: i read that Trident has now expanded (two floors?), so more space may appeal to OP.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Boston Common Coffee downtown (Washington St) has couches.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Andala in Central Square Cambridge is large, cozy, lots of plushy chairs and nooks. Diesel in Davis Square Somerville has sofas, more quirky than cozy I think though.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Not sofa's, but Voltage Coffee and Art in Kendall has a large room and arguably the best lattes in the city. Free Wi-fi as well and alot of the seating is pretty secluded.

Voltage Coffee & Art :: Inspired. Totally Wired. Coffeehouse and art gallery in Kendall Square, Cambridge.
Definitely an interesting and cerebral place to get work done. I do find it a little austere though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston