Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM

30 posts, read 86,519 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Boston for almost seven years now and I've been carfree most of that time. I had a loaner for about two years, mostly for short out of town trips necessary for work, but quickly gave up the loaner once I was working full-time in the city again. I'm pretty committed to living carfree as I found I don't really need a car to do the things I need to do in Boston. Living with a car was more of a hassle than a convenience for me. I commute to Cambridge for work (about 30 minutes on the Red Line) and do just about everything else in my neighborhood in Dorchester -- short bus or train trips to visit friends, walk to the grocery store and pharmacy, etc. Several parks are in close walking distance as well as a few childcare options.

I'm expecting my first child in June () and am so far planning to continue my carfree lifestyle. I am interested in hearing the experiences of other Bostonians who live carfree with kids. I'm not a biker so I don't plan on getting a family or cargo bike. My main means of transportation are bus, train, and walking, though I will reserve a zipcar for special occasions. I know Bostonians are not particularly kind about strollers on the subway and buses. Are there certain train lines you avoid with an infant or child? How well does it work taking an infant in a soft carrier on the bus or train? Are there certain things you find it necessary to have a car for with kids? Any trick or tips for being carfree in Boston with an infant?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I have a few friends with kids in Dorchester and Cambridge - strollers are fine on the red line, just be careful around rush hour. I think most of us get annoyed with the gigantor strollers taking up the space that 5 people could stand in (and bumping into everyone around!) - the green line seems to be the worst for this for whatever reason.

Babywearing seems to be the most common way of getting around - but that's less practical once baby gets to be a toddler.

Congratulations!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM

40 posts, read 109,419 times
Yeah, I'll give my +1 to the above comment.
If you go car free now a baby doesn't have the change that. Bostons transport makes things accessible as you know.
It's not just a Boston thing though, it can bother people in any city, especially when things are busy when someone insists that they, their child and their 3 ton stroller are the most important thing in the world.

As long as you are respectful of other people and thier space it should be a big deal.
(i.e. it's it's rush hour, would it be easier for you and everyone to fold up the stroller on the platform and carry your child until you get off? Things like that.)

Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM

124 posts, read 233,144 times
I have two kids (2 and 5) and I have had no issues with taking the trains. As long as your stroller is not in everyone's way, I think you will be ok.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2mass View Post
I have been living in Boston for almost seven years now and I've been carfree most of that time. I had a loaner for about two years, mostly for short out of town trips necessary for work, but quickly gave up the loaner once I was working full-time in the city again. I'm pretty committed to living carfree as I found I don't really need a car to do the things I need to do in Boston. Living with a car was more of a hassle than a convenience for me. I commute to Cambridge for work (about 30 minutes on the Red Line) and do just about everything else in my neighborhood in Dorchester -- short bus or train trips to visit friends, walk to the grocery store and pharmacy, etc. Several parks are in close walking distance as well as a few childcare options.

I'm expecting my first child in June () and am so far planning to continue my carfree lifestyle. I am interested in hearing the experiences of other Bostonians who live carfree with kids. I'm not a biker so I don't plan on getting a family or cargo bike. My main means of transportation are bus, train, and walking, though I will reserve a zipcar for special occasions. I know Bostonians are not particularly kind about strollers on the subway and buses. Are there certain train lines you avoid with an infant or child? How well does it work taking an infant in a soft carrier on the bus or train? Are there certain things you find it necessary to have a car for with kids? Any trick or tips for being carfree in Boston with an infant?

Thanks!
You should be fine, especially since you've already put yourself in a position where living car-free is feasible (e.g., walkable neighborhood, easy commute to work). I would look into baby wearing while the baby is small. It'll free up hands, make getting around a bit easier (no need to worry about elevators and ramps), and allows you to commute during rush hour on public transportation without getting any evil stares. For an older child, umbrella strollers work great for quick trips on the T. I would try to avoid using "Cadillac" strollers on the T unless it's not during rush hour. Even with such a stroller, you should be fine on the train; it's mostly on the bus where strollers can become a bit of an issue. Oh, and most importantly, keep the stroller off the escalator! I've seen quite a few tumbles when parents put strollers on escalators.

I would suggest you invest in some key items:
-baby wrap, preferably convertible ones that allows you to wear the baby in multiple ways
-umbrella stroller for when the child is a bit older and you need to take trips during busy times
-larger stroller, like a jogger or anything with good sized wheels and a bit of storage, for long walks and trips on the T where it won't be an issue (just keep in mind which stops have elevators and that such a stroller on the green line can suck, especially on the old school trolleys).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston