Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 43,132 times

Advertisements

Can I first say wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really, I mean really have you not seen a black women before? My husband and I came down to Boston to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary. We stayed at the W hotel and we planned on walking around downtown Boston to enjoy its art, history and many places to shop. This morning we left the hotel and walked across the street and ate at Panera bread located on Stuart St. Before I start my story I do want to say that I am a attractive black female. I enjoy wearing high end makeup. I love wearing long flowing extentions like most women my age and I love wearing the latest fashion. I said all of that to let you all know that I am use to getting a stare here or there in other locations because people think I'm attractive and like to let me know in a polite way or jesture.

Now back to my experience We walked around Boston and so many people looked at me like I was in the wrong place or like I didnt have the right to be in the places I was at. I was in a Italian restaurant and two white men came and and stared at me as they were walking out the door like I was a alien. I was walking down Washington ave and had a Asian female do a 360 like she was amazed or scared....... wow. Im 5,2 wearing a blazer scarf and louis vuiton purse I must be scary lol I don't get it....I whent to Clairs accessories and the security guard was staring at me and fallowing me around like I was going to steal something. I have been in many Clairs accesories in Californiia,Ohio,Texas and New York and you really think I want to sreel something. .......ok weird

This was really weird to see so many white people and Asian people stare at me like I was in the wrong place. Your probably thinking I must look scary. The last person I was compared to was Keisha Knight, Rudy from the Cosby show all grown up. Now is that scary lol. I did notice most black females in the downtown area wore dreads or an afro and nothings wrong with that. They were dressed in a more casual fashion and if that's what they want to do then thats fine. I was starting to think maybe there not use to seeing Black girls glamed up. But I got dirty looks and people lookd at me like I was weird.

My Parents served in The Airforce My Husband has as well. I have been all over the world and all over the USA. We have even drove through rual racist parts of Utah and Idaho. But I felt more uncomfortable in Boston then any place I have ever been. All I have to say is Iam very very very very happy to be home! People of Boston open your eyes travel get some culture and get out of your bubble. Black people In Boston DO BETTER dont take that crap we are not in 1600's. Your more then just door Men Im still in shock....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 09:20 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,945 times
[quote=Britttravel112;28497450 People of Boston open your eyes travel get some culture and get out of your bubble. Black people In Boston DO BETTER dont take that crap we are not in 1600's. Your more then just door Men Im still in shock....................[/quote]

Stop judging. You can DO BETTER.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Perhaps you could post a picture of yourself?

I really don't understand what your problem was. Maybe it was your attitude, overreacting to anyone looking at you.

Just two weeks ago, Harvard Business School had their 15th annual African Business Conference, and all the men and women were very dressed up and it was really no big deal... shrug.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Im really not over reacting google how black people get treated in Boston. While your at it look up the top most racist cities in the USA. Black peoople in Boston seem to get dirty looks and the securety gaurd at clairs should'nt have been following me around the store like I was going to steal. Thank you for the reply Miu If they werent staring at me because of how I dressed they must have been giving me looks for another reason. I just wanted to share my experience as a well traveled person and I now see that their is a majority of others that feel the same.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:22 PM

I could post a picture but I feel comfortable telling you the last person I was compared to google Kiesha knight.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
Perhaps you overdid the high fashion? Gucci etc is consider flamboyant - read gaudy and phony - in Boston.

Boston is too educated and too international to be racist. That's ancient history. The downtown neighborhoods are completely populated by people from around the world, not so much by local yokels.

I'm betting they were looking at you attire, not you skin color. If you dress like a Vegas showgirl in Harvard, they'll probably wonder what you are there for.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 PM

I actually was wearing the same atire that most people where wearing in that area. I saw many ladies with the same hand bag as me, a basic lous vuitton neverful. I was wearing a blazer, scarf and boots from H&M, ummm thats not so vegas. Again Im talking about down town Boston Quincy market area.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 PM

11,068 posts, read 12,466,771 times
I'm just gonna throw this out there: those Asians you saw staring at you at Quincy Market? Yeah, they are from Asia. They actually probably haven't seen a black person before. Ever. As a white dude, when I went to Asia, they stared at me too.

Also, it's not just the Asians that are from somewhere else. You do realize Quincy market is extremely touristy? If you had a bad experience there, I'd say it's probably not even a 50-50 shot that the offending party was a Bostonian.

Look up the most racist cities, like there's some kind of objective, empirical evidence for that?

Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 PM

I was born in Asia and traveled the orient growing up, so I understand what you are saying about that. Maybe I was just having a strange day.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
Well one thing about Boston is people are notoriously not warm and fuzzy. Cold can be justly alleged by people from other places. It's somewhat improper to even look at people in B. My friend from SF rode the T with and was more chatty than a farmer on the hay wagon. The T driver said " so honey, where ya from?" - read " you're obviously not from hear. " that can be refreshing or laborious depending on the person.

In Boston, style is subdued. Flashy is gaudy. Overly friendly is intrusive. Looking is perverted. A female who tries to stand out must be available - perhaps for a price. Ride the T but mind yer own ps and qs. A guy who doesn't is a perv and a girl who doesn't is horny.

Puritanism is the still present hanging judge in greater Salem. In the hub of abolition, MLKs second home, I don't think it is about being Black. They did not hang people for being Black in Boston. They hanged em for being witches. Perhaps your decadent handbag and hair are signs of a purveyor of the black (not AA) arts?

Boston is Americas most Euro city. You do realize white people have historically slaughtered each other since the beginning of time, right? Well they brought all that tribal baggage with them to BOS. we're just learning to disarm. Forgive us if we seem uptight. It was only a few years ago we killed 50 million each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston