Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,904 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to boston and will be working on Lincoln street. I wanted to know where would be an affordable(rent range 1000-1400) housing(aptments/studio) , 1 bed room available with an estimated travel to work capped at 30-45 minutes using public transportation. I do have a car but still have heard of the traffic. I am moving from charlotte north carolina. I have been advised of quincy, cambridge. How are the neighborhoods and are they safe? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
New 2 boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:10 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,489,581 times
Regardless of where you live in MA... you don't really want to drive and Park in Boston... you're talking about $300-400/mo for parking in downtown. If you can get rid of your car... you'll save another $1000-1500/yr in car insurance.

Quincy and Cambridge are good choices... Red line to Downtown Crossing and walk to Lincoln St. (next to South Station). Both are safe. Both cities are fairly big.. so find something not too far from the subway station or T-stop. Walking 15-20 minutes are fine during the summer but not easy during the winter.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 AM

8 posts, read 20,554 times
South Boston might have something for you. If you are on the East side you will be using the bus like everyone else. If you are on the West side you will have a short walk to the Red Line on West Broadway. You can also check out some areas of Dorchester. It is on the Red Line and a neighborhood of Boston. Savin Hill, Jones Hill areas are great and right next to the Savin Hill or JFK/UMASS red line stops with about a 5 minute commute to South Station. I live on Jones Hill, 7 years now, and love it. Also check out Davis Square & Porter Square for affordability on the Cambridge/Somerville line.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,982 times
I second the advice NOT to drive work downtown. Boston and Charlotte are very different in that respect. All of the places along the Red Line that have been pointed out, and South Boston are good for the commute, but there are significant differences in the feel and the amenities in the areas. South Boston, Porter and Davis Square are more urban (not overwhelmingly so compared to downtown Boston) and have more nightlife options, etc. Whereas Quincy is much more quiet but more affordable. It would be best to get a sense of which areas you might like and come up to check them out before committing since they are all distinct.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,904 times
Default any suggestions in quincy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I second the advice NOT to drive work downtown. Boston and Charlotte are very different in that respect. All of the places along the Red Line that have been pointed out, and South Boston are good for the commute, but there are significant differences in the feel and the amenities in the areas. South Boston, Porter and Davis Square are more urban (not overwhelmingly so compared to downtown Boston) and have more nightlife options, etc. Whereas Quincy is much more quiet but more affordable. It would be best to get a sense of which areas you might like and come up to check them out before committing since they are all distinct.
Hello,
Thanks for replying. Any specific aptments that come recommended in quincy or the south boston area, close to the red line. Any personal suggestions in porter davis square will be appreciated. I have the coming sat and sun to come look for aptments, so any specific names would greatly help
nb

Old 01-15-2008, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,714 times
For Cambridge, if that's still on your list, I'd recommend Westgate Management, they have several nice apartment buildings in the Central Square area near the red line. And some of their buildings offer parking to tenants for $75/month. They also have vacancies, I believe. I've been a tenant of their and as far as landlords go they do a good job. A great super who's very prompt with snow removal, too, for what it's worth.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston