Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,859 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our son recently moved to Boston for a job working on a campaign, so it doesn't pay a great deal. In order for him to accept the position, we had to find a SAFE/CHEAP (small pet friendly) apartment, and found a studio in Acton. We live in the Berkshires and know NOTHING about commuting in a big city He tried the T, but the cost would be nearly $300.00/mo. Someone from his work mentioned a street where he parks for free everyday then grabs the subway for a short trip to the office after driving in from a suburb. Our son's office is on Tremont Street in Boston. The first time he drove in the commute driving was approx. 37-40 mins to the subway station. Found the place to park for free, took the subway, it worked out well. BUT every time since has turned into an approx 85-95 minute drive. Then because he was running late from traffic, he couldn't take the time to go park his car for free and take subway. Are there lesser traveled Routes that will get you from Acton to Boston, thereby less prone to backed-up traffic?

1. We have looked at maps of the area, but not knowing anything about the area, traffic patterns etc., maps are not helping us.

2. Yes he would rather live closer, but we can't afford to move him closer, & between all the scam apartment rentals we ran into, and the high cost of rents, it took us 3 weeks of 4-5 hours a day sifting through scam emails and real estate websites just to find the place we did. His max budget was $900.00 month for rent, with at least some utilities included. We found a studio in Acton for 775.00 with all utilities, except cable/internet. So moving doesn't seem to be an option.

Thank you for any help you can offer, sorry if this post is too long, first time doing this type of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Your son needs to live in an apartment closer to the city, with roommates or he needs to pay the $300 a month for a commuter rail pass. His current routine is unsustainable and will drive him crazy.

If those options don't work, he needs to find a new job.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:16 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
If he has to commute early morning, all the major routes will have lots of traffic.

What subway station is he driving to?

Old 02-25-2014, 11:25 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I'm assuming he's very young and that's why this is a family effort and he's not finding his own apartment?

I agree with the roommate suggestion. He can then walk or take a bus to the subway if he lives in or closer to Boston.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:29 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Abba View Post
Hello,

Someone from his work mentioned a street where he parks for free everyday then grabs the subway for a short trip to the office after driving in from a suburb.
You son should go talk again to his work colleague and get the exact info on what street and which subway station. Is your son real young - I assume no since he drives? Wondering why his mom (from the sound of your post) is asking instead of the son.... parents really need to know when to let go.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM

62 posts, read 135,865 times
definitely try living closer to Boston. It is not at all as dangerous as you imagined. Try finding a roommate situation in Newton, or along the green line perhaps? To be honest I am not too sure about public transportation in and around Boston. You might try living in Somerville. Union Square is very popular and quite safe. East Somerville is probably not your scene because it could be potentially hard to live there for someone who is new to City life.

Try finding apartments in East Watertown, Cambridge, Somerville or Arlington....

But if you continue driving from Acton, try taking Route 2 east, park at Alewife T Station and take the red line to the green line and you should end up at Tremont Street. Perhaps someone here can speak more to the logistics of the T from Acton...

Definitely try to get your son to actively participate in assimilating to the City. It's hardly as scary as it might be portrayed! For 900 dollars he can find a really great roommate situation, make friends and connect with the City better!

good luck!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,333,893 times
I grew up in the Berkshires (Pittsfield) an now live in Somerville, a dense suburb that borders Boston. Honestly, most parts of Cambridge and West Somerville are much less sketchy than North Street in Pittsfield. I second the roommate advice - there are some very fun safe and interesting neighborhoods that are walking distance to the T and would get him to Tremont St pretty easily. Acton is safe but very sleepy and too similar to the Berkshires. Expose him to something new! I live near Davis Square and Porter Square and highly recommend this area. I haven't rented in a while but I think you can find a nice 2 bedroom for $1800/month.

Its funny, when I first moved from the Berkshires to Boston I initially thought people were crazy to live in such a dense place, living on top of each other, Well, 20 years later and I love it here, bought a home and am raising a family here.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Your son could web search some of the carpooling sites to share transportation costs in the spirit of environmental consciousness and thrift.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,859 times
Default Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
You son should go talk again to his work colleague and get the exact info on what street and which subway station. Is your son real young - I assume no since he drives? Wondering why his mom (from the sound of your post) is asking instead of the son.... parents really need to know when to let go.

Thank you for the advice, but I am trying to help with the situation because he is working 60 plus hours per week, plus taking 12 credits online to finish his Bachelor's degree, and literally doesn't have a second of free time to waste. So, it isn't about not letting go, it's about "helping" because I have the time to research, and he doesn't.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM

226 posts, read 386,794 times
Well. I live near acton and used to live on Tremont. We moved because the commute from Tremont st to Lexington (where my husband works and on the way to acton) was hell on a stick.

He needs roommates and he needs to move. Acton is also way too boring and remote for a single young man. It's where people go to have babies.

Living out there he's bound to end up getting killed trying to drive home after his inevitable late nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston