Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM

79 posts, read 263,843 times

Advertisements

I'm very interested in working for a company that's located right near North Station. At a previous job, I had what was (to me) a very long commute by car, and now I'm looking for a simple, one-step commute (so, not changing bus to train to subway, etc.). What cities/towns are within a 30-minute commute (via simple public transit) to North Station and would fit the details in the list below? I'm open to a commute via commuter rail from a location north of Boston, or on orange line or green line to North Station. Ease and simplicity of commute are key. Thanks!

-- Rental studio or 1-bedroom apartment, not more than $1,000/month
-- School system doesn't factor into it for me personally (no kids)
-- Safe, and conveniently located within walking distance of transit to North Station. I have a car, but absolutely would be taking public transit during the workweek.

P.S. Along these lines, what is the area of Malden like near the Oak Grove T station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
For that range, you might be able to find something in Malden Center, probably a studio

East Somerville is probably out of range I'm afraid

I'd consider a place in Salem myself and do the commuter rail, but the pass will be more than the $70 for the T, but it would be more fun to live in.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM

79 posts, read 263,843 times
Oh thanks, I like the idea of a place in Salem, near the train station. I'll look into that! For whatever reason I tend to "forget" about Salem. I also like the idea of living there because as you mentioned there's fun stuff to do.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM

2,730 posts, read 6,125,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalOrange View Post
P.S. Along these lines, what is the area of Malden like near the Oak Grove T station?
The Windsor Apts across from Oak Grove are very nice, but prices start at ~$2,200. Melrose isn't cheap. I think even on the Malden side of the station you'd be looking at least $1,500.

I'd second the Salem suggestion. Or even Beverly.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,397,197 times
Salem has some decent rentals for $1000 and it is close to nice weekend day trips further up on the N. Shore.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:03 AM

145 posts, read 283,593 times
I've heard that a new orange line subway station is opening up in fall of 2014. There might be some affordable apartments in that area since it was previously not directly on the subway line.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 AM

132 posts, read 545,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss44 View Post
I've heard that a new orange line subway station is opening up in fall of 2014. There might be some affordable apartments in that area since it was previously not directly on the subway line.
As someone who watches the construction taking place around that stop every day on the way home -- nothing that goes in there is going to be cheap. And it's going to do even worse things to the Somerville rents in that area.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,787,985 times
It's very unfortunate that $1,000 pretty much can't even get you a 1br in a very good neighborhood anymore but that's the truth in Greater Boston. Malden and Salem are pretty much it but you might as well try Chelsea and Lynn as well. No the reputation of the two aren't as good but both have been experiencing huge developments, especially Lynn around its Central Square. The Newburyport/Rockport commuter train line serves Chelsea, Lynn, and Salem. Commuter rail passes are mostly more expensive than the rapid transit/local bus Link Pass but that's the tradeoff for cheaper rents at further distant locations.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 PM

145 posts, read 283,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickybox View Post
As someone who watches the construction taking place around that stop every day on the way home -- nothing that goes in there is going to be cheap. And it's going to do even worse things to the Somerville rents in that area.
My sense about this city is that it is a good time to buy a place and sell it when you leave. The value of real estate seems to be increasing at a ridiculous rate.

I think OP's best bet is to find an apartment where the landlord a little behind the times with rent. It happens. Areas where there use to be a lack of access to public transportation would be a good candidate to find such a landlord.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss44 View Post
I think OP's best bet is to find an apartment where the landlord a little behind the times with rent. It happens. Areas where there use to be a lack of access to public transportation would be a good candidate to find such a landlord.

That's what I lucked into in East Somerville... Look at small landlords that do their own renting (don't hire a real estate service) and be prepared to write a check on the spot as soon as you look at the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston