Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 AM

52 posts, read 74,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Parking in the city will be expensive. You might be better off driving from Acton to the Alewife subway station in Cambridge (I think it costs seven bucks to park there; it may be full if it's a work day).

It's a tough call. Having a car will give you more flexibility and save you time, but will increase your costs and hassle. If you're only going to be there for two days, I think you can skip the car. Just ride the commuter rail into Boston once per day and spend the day walking and taking the subway around.

This was the original plan but Saturday and Sunday will be the only days we can do this and the service has been suspended on weekends from Acton to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times
Quote:
OMG skip this overpriced tourist trap.

lrfox has a good list of suggestions IMO.
Agreed. Summer Shack is under impressive.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:59 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razacla View Post
This was the original plan but Saturday and Sunday will be the only days we can do this and the service has been suspended on weekends from Acton to Boston.
Oy. Well, either rent a car or take Uber or a cab to Alewife, I guess. Weigh the relative costs. If you do bite the bullet and rent a car, that would give you the option to see some areas outside the city, but with only two days, you'll probably find plenty to do in Boston and Cambridge.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Someone with better insight should recommend a Caribbean restaurant.
i like highland creole cuisine but there are plenty of others.

few of my faves from years ago:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...l#post40174078

Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Agreed. Summer Shack is under impressive.
Bertucci's Brick Oven Pizzeria, though a chain, has some pretty decent food and a convenient location at Alewife Station across from Summer Shack. I suppose if the OP does go this way, it could be a great place for a late supper or something.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:47 PM

13 posts, read 14,619 times
Yikes, I guess I have poor taste in seafood ;-)

To be honest, I completely enjoyed my meal at Summer Shack.

Bertucci's strikes me as very pedestrian, but, to each his own!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelyspoken View Post
Yikes, I guess I have poor taste in seafood ;-)

To be honest, I completely enjoyed my meal at Summer Shack.

Bertucci's strikes me as very pedestrian, but, to each his own!
SS isn't *bad*, it's just overpriced for what you get. If you're spending two days in Boston, you should be able to find much better seafood.

I agree that Bertucci's is pedestrian, and again, with two days in Boston, OP can find much better pizza (Regina and Santarpio's are the two old-school favorites, but only go to the Regina in the North End, none of the "branches").

Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM

578 posts, read 571,700 times
Use best parking to find a place near where you will be going, and that is also near a T stop. many garages have much lower weekend rates than they do weekdays.

It would help to know what kind of food you are interested in - and are you interested more in the food or the experience? Faniuel Hall is a must of the experience for out of towners, but if you care about food quality skip it.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:16 PM

295 posts, read 317,124 times
Quote:
OMG skip this overpriced tourist trap.

lrfox has a good list of suggestions IMO.
i third lrfox suggestions

Old 07-29-2015, 07:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
Harvard, MIT, Museum of Science, Boston Common, Newbury Street (from another "tourist," really).

See also:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...ug-16-aug.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston