Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 5,642 times

Advertisements

I am a 44 yo single woman contemplating a move from the Midwest to the East coast. I am Scandinavian, have lived in different European countries, but for 10 last 15 years I have lived in the US, specifically in the Midwest. The Midwest is friendlyand it is easy living but culturally I don’t belong here. I want to find my future home and looking at the East Coast and Chicago. I am looking at Boston, NY, Chicago. My profession is good in the sense that I should be able to find a job in these cities. I love music, architecture, seafood, politics, world news, skiing and the outdoors but also love dressing up and going to nicerestaurants. I have a big fat dog that I love. I am looking for a city where I might belong and find people who see beyond their stateborders, make friends and possibly meet a partner. NY is exciting but a bit overwhelming and I don’t know a single person there. I have visited Boston a number of times and really like it but reading the different threads about how hard it is to make friends and lousy dating scene makes me a little concerned. Chicago is cool but not very cosmopolitan. No need to tell me about the cold weather on the East Coast…. I can take it ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
You have already answered to your questions. It will be compromise whatever you do. Decide between Chicago or Boston. NYC is hard to get out on weekends. Boston is the best in terms of lifestyle it could offer you especially if you are into sports/winter sports, and like exploring. This is prime area for outdoor lifestyle. ME, VT, NY, NH, RI are all withing easy reach as well.

All in all, Boston could be a very good fit, but do not move here, and expect everything to fall in place in the first 3 months. Give yourself some time. Make sure you do understand very high COL, and do not move without job, and solid budget. Very important to your social life is stay close and live in bustling areas in or around Cambridge, Brookline, Somerville, Watertown, Waltham, Medford, JP, where you can have many other transplants, and it is easier to make friends.

If you decide to live outside of the urban core, be prepared to have less cosmopolitan vibe, and to be surrounded with families and kids. But, I do not know then, if such move would make much sense, since in Chicago you can get much cheaper housing. Boston value for you is in its urban core. If you can afford it, you will enjoy it, and move could be worth it. Otherwise rest of MA it is very sleepy, and this is very tiny area in comparison to Chicago and Midwest.

Good luck.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
I would echo what George has said and add that if your budget allows it you might even be better off living right in the city in areas like Back Bay, Beacon Hill, The South End, or The North End. You could walk to everything the city has to offer from these locations.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:38 PM

Thank you Kingeorge for your advice. I guess the fact that I posted my question on a Boston thread shows that I am leaning towards that City ;-)
I would like to try to live in the city itself if possible but having an 85 lbs dog is limiting since I can not have him in a closet sized apartment. My budget is 2500-3000 at most. Will see...
Again I really appreciate you replying to my thread. Thanks !

Old 08-24-2015, 02:41 PM

Thank you MikePRU. Look like great areas to live and will investigate but I am limited by my dog and budget...

Old 08-24-2015, 09:27 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
The South End is perfect for big dogs... Lots of Danes, Bernies, Doodles at Peters Park Dog Park. Dog people get to know one another faster and more readily than non-dog people.

Troy just opened in the South End and it is very dog friendly! Very young crowd, though. You can get an OK place with your budget...will be small, tho.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:25 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
I have to disagree that Chicago is not cosmopolitan. Between the two, I'd have to give the nod to Chicago, especially in the city itself. I'd say Boston is less cosmopolitan. I have also found Chicago to be significantly friendlier.

Boston has easier and quicker access to NYC, and if you like the ocean, you can get to a lot of East Coast beaches.

You can find great places for your dog in either city.

kingeorge's advice about not straying too far out from the city and giving yourself some time applies to either city, as well.

Good luck with your move.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
[quote=chicagoliz;40951631]I have to disagree that Chicago is not cosmopolitan. Between the two, I'd have to give the nod to Chicago, especially in the city itself. I'd say Boston is less cosmopolitan.

I, too, was surprised anyone could say that about Chicago. But like Boston, it likely has its share of non-cosmopolitans, which is what she may recall overall.

Southie is good for dogs, especially around C and D streets at those new apts. Lots of young people, though.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 08-26-2015 at 01:45 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times
Still think the South End dog culture is easier to break into for newcomers to the city... Everyone goes out to eat with their dogs on the patios. More European feeling than the new Southie.

Also, South End is more of a mix of people while being withing walking distance of the Symphony (Boston Pops), Theater District, Copley Sq/Newbury St., etc.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:13 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Illinois along with Minnesota and Wisconsin has more Scandinavian culture than Boston and New York. Not sure if that matters to you or not, but thought I'd mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston