Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting a room with the family of a close friend. The friend lives in another state, and I have been living with her family for almost 3 months. The other day, I got into a nasty quibble with the sister of my friend, who lives in the house and is basically the quasi-landlord, over the rent. Basically, she implied that I was being ungrateful by explicitly saying she "knows for a fact" that they're charging me way below the rent in the area. While the area itself is a nice suburban area outside of Boston, I honestly think she’s forgetting the fact that this is renting with a family vs. renting a house with peers. That condition alone, I think, changes what would be considered fair rent, even considering the Fair Market Value of the house.

So my question is this: What do you think is a fair rent price (not including utilities) to charge for a room in a house with a family? Of course, I know the answer depends on a lot of things, so here is some background information:

- House is located in
- Small, modest 1 story, 3 bedroom, 3 bath house. About 1200 Sq. Ft, currently sharing with young adult sister of my friend and their senior citizen mother.
- Built year unknown, but I’d say at least 30-40 years ago. It’s not dilapidated, but most rooms have not been remodeled or repainted in 10-15 years or so. Windows are wooden, rusty and old, doors are flimsy, walls have many little stains, nicks, dents, and small holes. There are definitely way bigger, nicer houses around the neighborhood.
- I rent the smallest bedroom (10X10ft) and have to share a communal bathroom (with a gross STAINED tub) with the mother and any relatives and guests that come and go. The 1st bathroom is in the master bedroom (sister’s room, no access), and the 3rd is out of the way in the basement (and kinda dirty anyway).
- They told me I could use the common areas as I pleased, but the house is basically cluttered and full of the family’s crap, especially the hoarder mother (not being mean, it’s just true!). I only have one small corner in the fridge and one shelf in a cabinet; the rest of the kitchen is commandeered by the mother’s and sister’s stuff. The mother is constantly cooking and leaving her stuff around the kitchen, so it’s basically impossible for me to ever cook. The living room has no TV either.
- Not a very convenient location. Only houses for 2-3 blocks around; the nearest markets are a 15-minute walk away. There is a bus stop a minute down the road, but it only comes once an hour. It's a 30-minute walk to the train station.
- The family has a big white dog that sheds all year. Large tumbleweeds of white fur can be spotted throughout the house. Black spiders of various sizes make nests in every corner of the house as well. I offered to clean every weekend (vacuum, mop the floors), but the sister basically discouraged me from cleaning by making weird excuses that the wooden floors can’t take it.
- The mother watches over her infant grandchild 2-3 times a week, from afternoon to late at night. The baby is quiet and sleeping most of the time, but it still gets fussy and cries during the worst times (study nights, work early next AM, etc.)
- And because of the baby’s presence, the parents come over for dinner during those evenings, and the whole family talks loudly. It’s great that they’re close, but it’s rather annoying if I’m trying to do school work or want to relax.
- I pay for all my own food, toiletries, and general house supplies (batteries, laundry detergent, sponges, etc). I do not smoke, play loud music or TV, or talk loudly on the phone.

We’re renting through verbal agreements, so there is no lease. I actually prefer to have a written lease with clear rules, but when I had tried to ask questions and set specific house rules before moving in, the quasi-landlord sister just brushed them off and lackadaisically assured that the family is so chill and relaxed so I could do whatever. However, every now and then she gets on my case about little things, such as not using the kitchen sink for rinsing food, or not using the central air system during so and so times. The mother even gets on my case about how trash should be thrown out or recycled according to her specifications. When I do try to talk about the above issues, the sister once again just brushes them off or avoids the issue altogether. A part of me wants to keep prodding, but another part of me says it's not worth raising a big stink over. It is, after all, their house.

Overall, I’m not saying this is a horrible family to live with. While they are sluggish about maintenance and cleaning, I can definitely tolerate the living situation. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm overpaying because the house is so far from being shared equally. I am also upset with the sister’s belittling comment. I am getting ready to renegotiate the rent with my friend. Therefore, I was wondering about people’s opinion about how much they think is a fair price to rent with a family given the above situation. Should rent price differ based on whether you rent with peers vs. a family? I’d like to hear about anyone’s story if you’ve rented with a family before.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-28-2016 at 04:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 04:24 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
It sounds like you are renting the room illegally, I'm betting that the house is not a legal multi-family.

If that suits you, fine. Otherwise, find your own place where you actually have some rights.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:14 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It sounds like you are renting the room illegally, I'm betting that the house is not a legal multi-family.

If that suits you, fine. Otherwise, find your own place where you actually have some rights.
This.

I'm guessing the sister doesn't know is that it is probably an illegal rental, without a lease, and the low rent is so that you keep hush hush about it and not complain about some of the things you need to deal with. I don't think family vs peers has anything to do with it in this case.

I'm gonna guess you are paying $500/month for that room? But you didn't say where exactly.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:54 AM

596 posts, read 818,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
But you didn't say where exactly.
He said or are you looking for something more specific?

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-28-2016 at 04:14 AM..

Old 11-16-2016, 06:38 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
That sounds awful and i wouldnt be able to stand it. What are you paying? Sounds like there is waay too much going on. Beyond me why they'd want you around either lol.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,336 times
Casey: Thank you for your advice. Actually, according to MA law, there is such a thing called "tenancy-at-will", which basically means a month-to-month agreement that may or may not be in writing. Of course, a written and signed document is encouraged, but not necessary.

Mike: You are right on the money!

That being said, would anyone here be willing to pay $500/month+utilities to rent a room in this house? If not that amount, then how much would you think is a fair price? I know many of you will think, "I'd pay 0! I wouldn't want to live there!" However, I'm still looking for an actual value suggestion because as I said, I can tolerate the situation overall; I just would like to renegotiate the price with my good friend. If I show my friend what other Bostonians or people around Boston would be willing to pay, then it might help persuade her.

Last, I just want to reiterate that the house is very decent overall. Yes, there are a lot of small inconveniences and petty restrictions, but it's definitely better than living in a typical college dorm where "adults" can't even flush the toilet after themselves.

I thank you all again for your opinions and help!

Old 11-17-2016, 04:16 AM

513 posts, read 647,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse416 View Post
Casey: Thank you for your advice. Actually, according to MA law, there is such a thing called "tenancy-at-will", which basically means a month-to-month agreement that may or may not be in writing. Of course, a written and signed document is encouraged, but not necessary.

Mike: You are right on the money!

That being said, would anyone here be willing to pay $500/month+utilities to rent a room in this house? If not that amount, then how much would you think is a fair price? I know many of you will think, "I'd pay 0! I wouldn't want to live there!" However, I'm still looking for an actual value suggestion because as I said, I can tolerate the situation overall; I just would like to renegotiate the price with my good friend. If I show my friend what other Bostonians or people around Boston would be willing to pay, then it might help persuade her.

Last, I just want to reiterate that the house is very decent overall. Yes, there are a lot of small inconveniences and petty restrictions, but it's definitely better than living in a typical college dorm where "adults" can't even flush the toilet after themselves.

I thank you all again for your opinions and help!
I will be honest, I don't think you have the luxury of trying to renegotiate your arrangement. While a tenancy at will is legal that is not what you are here, you are essentially a boarder in this house. The legality of it remains cloudy.

Before you attempt to renegotiate, ask yourself if you are prepared for your friend to tell you to walk. Where else are you going to find any kind of housing for $500 per month? While many of us would not be wiling to pay to live with a family that is not our own, I don't think $500.00 is unreasonable to pay considering you are living in a decent house in a decent area, especially since the compromises you are making do not seem to bother you.

If you had a room in a house with an equitable roommate arrangement, you would be paying significantly more money in rent. I personally think what you are paying is in the ballpark for value, given he prices to rent in the area. You can do some research to determine what rents are for similar homes and try to back in what it would cost as a roommate

Old 11-17-2016, 07:08 AM

596 posts, read 818,771 times
My mom has a boarder in New Jersey and he pays $600/month. He has exclusive use of two rooms--one is set up sort of like a living room/office with a TV and a futon and the other is a bedroom. He used to pay $650/month but then my mom got a dog. He occasionally lets the dog out if she's not around so she gave him a discount.

But my mom sounds like a better landlord...

I agree with others, though, that you won't find a cheaper situation. Do they need the money? If not, they'll probably let you walk rather than dealing with this unpleasant situation. It does sound like others probably wouldn't be willing to rent in this situation unless they were desperate, and I'm not sure many families want desperate strangers living in their house. I'm not saying you are desperate, but you have a connection to these people, through your friend, that changes the situation.

The legality thing got my curious about the legality of my mom's situation, but from reading just the initial page or so of the NJ boarding house law, it looks like if you only have one boarder plus the owner it doesn't apply to you. But thats NJ.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
My mom has a boarder in New Jersey and he pays $600/month. He has exclusive use of two rooms--one is set up sort of like a living room/office with a TV and a futon and the other is a bedroom. He used to pay $650/month but then my mom got a dog. He occasionally lets the dog out if she's not around so she gave him a discount.
Technically a boarder receives room and board, i.e., room and meals. A roomer only gets the room.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:09 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
It's basically up to you to continue living there, at the rent currently being charged, as long as they don't kick you out. The monster sister can stop renting to you if she feels being ripped from by you. I wouldn't give in and pay more than what you agreed to with the person that you made the deal with. If you can't stand the monster sister's attitude, then move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston