Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:37 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Most are tolerable in the long run as long as you're willing to slum it up for a few years while saving for a down payment. Problem is, most of the millennials with mid-17th century Inuit art history degrees expect a Ritz penthouse and Rene Redzepi-catered meals right off the bat on their $12.50/hour clipboard warrior paycheck.
This doesn't describe me in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 02:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This doesn't describe me in any way.

Doesn't describe any millenial I've ever met in any way.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:20 PM

824 posts, read 713,195 times
The thing is, that there are still plenty of vacant lots in areas of Roxbury, Mattapan, Dorchester, and Mission Hill. You also have areas of the North Shore that also have plenty of redevelopable space like the couple of large vacant lots East of Downtown Lynn. You could put in plenty of high density development in those areas. They should also build up a lot more transit oroineted development.

They could build more suburban developments but I don't think that would be good, I feel like they would redevelop areas such as empty strip-malls and other various empty shopping centers into apartment complexes and other types of housing, etc.

I think the issue is, that there really aren't any large empty parcels of land for large scale development in the core area of the Boston Metro. So in order to solve large scale housing problems, we would need to demolish and rebuild parts of neighborhoods to have them become even denser.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:26 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Default Re

'The thing is, that there are still plenty of vacant lots in areas of Roxbury, Mattapan, Dorchester, and Mission Hill.'

And hyde park...people always forget about hyde park which has more potential than any of those places.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:25 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyytrewq01943 View Post
I don't mean to be a hater but I think Boston needs to be building more homes double time. More people seem to be moving to the city and homes prices are going through the roof. I want homeowners to see their properties appreciate in value but not to the point where new homeowners can't afford any homes. Once you move past I95 and I93 there are large open areas that can easily be developed and made into subdivisions and apartment complexes. Building more T stops and commuter rail stops in these areas will make commuting into the city easier for people who are willing to move past the interstate to buy a home. I don't want to see Boston turn into a San Francisco 2.0 in terms of home prices. Boston should learn from metros such as Dallas-Ft. Worth and begin planning better. It is possible to have a large city and affordable housing.
Personally, I'd not like to see any more development at all. "Large open areas" are part of what make living here nice. I think we've taken more than our share of natural habitat. I'd like to leave some for the animals. Also: Dallas/Ft. Worth as a place to emulate? I think not.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 9,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Personally, I'd not like to see any more development at all. "Large open areas" are part of what make living here nice. I think we've taken more than our share of natural habitat. I'd like to leave some for the animals. Also: Dallas/Ft. Worth as a place to emulate? I think not.
If you want affordable housing it is a place to emulate. I'm not saying copy and paste Dallas over Boston, I'm saying whether you like Dallas or not, the city has done an impressive job at planning ahead and making sure that the supply of housing meets the demand for housing. Homes in the Dallas area cost like half of what they do in Boston.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyytrewq01943 View Post
If you want affordable housing it is a place to emulate. I'm not saying copy and paste Dallas over Boston, I'm saying whether you like Dallas or not, the city has done an impressive job at planning ahead and making sure that the supply of housing meets the demand for housing. Homes in the Dallas area cost like half of what they do in Boston.

No, it is not:

A) Because geographically it is physically impossible here
B) They have sprawl in a car centric layout, they've actually been a failure in most ways re planning
C) It's a relatively new city to growth, we can't go back in time and revise 1600s planning for post 1960s boom periods. If no one has wanted to live here until 50 years ago we could do the same things, but we were built out 200+ years ago.
D) Dallas is a pretty cruddy city, even Houston looks good in comparison

Old 01-16-2017, 01:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
WE DO NOT DECIDE HOW MUCH GETS BUILT OR NOT.

We can only guide how it's done, to an extent...

I feel like I am beating a dead horse.
Zoning does limit how much get built

Old 01-16-2017, 02:02 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Zoning does limit how much get built
Only on the zoned piece of land. A certain town can NIMBY to death all they want, they will just build somewhere else...

Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Only on the zoned piece of land. A certain town can NIMBY to death all they want, they will just build somewhere else...
Most if not all of a town's land is zoned. And if nearly all Boston are towns NIMBY to death, elsewhere can be limited and/or quite far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston