Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:55 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

This is not something I think or care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:58 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
To judge any city as intellectual just doesn't make sense. I've lived in Boston my entire life. I think the election showed (or at least reflected) that the educated liberal base resides in the bigger cities around the country. But is Boston intellectual? No more so than any other major city IMO. Just because a lot of great hospitals are in Boston doesn't make it the smartest place as an example.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Hahahahahahahaah...

Indirectly, it may be. True! Intellectuals are everywhere, but folks in DC act like they have the smartest people on the planet in that little ass district.
Well does it really matter about the size of DC? You must have this conversation with residents or that was your experience living there I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:33 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They were smart to get jobs IN federal agencies.

We need all the brains in these agencies we can get, which is difficult with the onerous hiring practices and low pay.
Disagreed utterly and completely on all accounts, especially the "low pay" part.

Here, from a "friendly" source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/moneyt...b_8855508.html

Ridiculous this is being defended.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Certainly the place where people are the most obsessed with how smart they are, where they went to college, and what kinds of credentials they have.

If I were never again to hear "when I was at Harvard" or "one of my colleagues at MIT" it would be none too soon, I tell you.

Sometimes I want to throw in "when I was at Scottsdale Community College" or "one of my colleagues at Billy's Package Store" but I am not sure I could carry it off successfully.
I feel this. It's remarkable how predictable conversations in this area can be.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:54 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Disagreed utterly and completely on all accounts, especially the "low pay" part.

Here, from a "friendly" source: Federal Employees Earn 50% More Than The Private Workforce | HuffPost

Ridiculous this is being defended.

That's from a far right anti government "think tank", they don't compare apples (education levels, within fields, and the same experience to each other) try again. Saying they earn more when you have a immigration attorney with 20 years experience compared to a pool that includes retail workers at a best buy is ridiculous. It's not "being defended" because your premise is completely false. For instance, about 25% of the private sector has a college degree, its about 50% in public service. That's just a start.

Pretty much everyone that goes from private sector into public sector work takes a significant pay cut.

And when they go from public sector to private, they receive a pay increase. I left government twice because I couldn't afford to stay, although I'm a huge believer in public service. I received a 33% and a 50% jump, and as good or better benefits, each time. Several people I know doubled or more their salaries. Lots more would love to go into public service, but can't absorb the gigantic pay cuts and poor prospects of increases (plus no bonuses, etc).

At places like the Harvard Kennedy School, the problem with getting graduates into public service, which most wanted to do, was they couldn't afford the low salaries. This is rather well documented by schools of public administration. Government pays a fraction of a consulting firms, etc. Add to that the burdensome hiring practices, and you keep the best candidates out of public service , to the detriment of our country.

Last edited by timberline742; 05-08-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Hahahahahahahaah...

Indirectly, it may be. True! Intellectuals are everywhere, but folks in DC act like they have the smartest people on the planet in that little ass district.
Washington DC and it's surrounding metro area is the most educated place in the country with regards to it's residents. I don't understand where the vitriol comes from. This shouldn't be that hard to stomach it's just plain and simple.

Top 10 Most Educated Large Metros w/ Most Bachelor's degrees or higher:

1. Washington DC 49.3%
2. San Jose, CA 47.5%
3. San Francisco, CA 45.9%
4. Boston, MA 45.2%
5. Raleigh, NC 43.4%
6. Austin, TX 41.5%
7. Denver, CO 40.8%
8. Minneapolis, MN 40.0
9. Seattle, WA 39.4
10. New York, NY 37.9

Source: US Census Bureau.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5693ee0ec524

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-08-2017, 10:54 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
i have to find my previous post but somewhere on city-data it has a stat on the most ph.d's/masters/bachelors/hs graduates per capita is in cambridge.

something like 25 % of the population in the metro are students. degrees are like place mats in the area.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
That's from a far right anti government "think tank", they don't compare apples (education levels, within fields, and the same experience to each other) try again. Saying they earn more when you have a immigration attorney with 20 years experience compared to a pool that includes retail workers at a best buy is ridiculous. It's not "being defended" because your premise is completely false. For instance, about 25% of the private sector has a college degree, its about 50% in public service. That's just a start.

Pretty much everyone that goes from private sector into public sector work takes a significant pay cut.

And when they go from public sector to private, they receive a pay increase. I left government twice because I couldn't afford to stay, although I'm a huge believer in public service. I received a 33% and a 50% jump, and as good or better benefits, each time. Several people I know doubled or more their salaries. Lots more would love to go into public service, but can't absorb the gigantic pay cuts and poor prospects of increases (plus no bonuses, etc).

At places like the Harvard Kennedy School, the problem with getting graduates into public service, which most wanted to do, was they couldn't afford the low salaries. This is rather well documented by schools of public administration. Government pays a fraction of a consulting firms, etc. Add to that the burdensome hiring practices, and you keep the best candidates out of public service , to the detriment of our country.

Private upside is larger because of profit motive, ie you can make more money if you're elite at your trade. There is no such thing as an elite fed employee. They cannot be objectively measured (how much to pay them, how well they perform, etc). Federal employees will take an upper middle class lifestyle with very few real responsibilities over the potential to get wildly rich and have to be constantly working to maybe (but probably not) keep it. The highest of the private workers drives the averages way up. So you are actually way off. That study, for the flaws you point out, also works the other way. It would also include Mark Zuckerberg's salary in that total. Surprised you missed that.

I already know you are a big government guy, so we don't need to get into that discussion. But you make it sound like federal employees are poor. Not true. Don't really have anything else to add though. So take this for what it's worth to ya!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
This is not something I think or care about.
Agreed here though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston