Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This was some kind of" training" in intelligence. Very vague. Not to mention shady. Went through all the interviews, background checks, polygraph, letter of offer, still had no firm idea of what day to day was.

If you don't believe me, that's your call.
Are you sure this was an actual job with the federal government? And not some kind of scam organization that either said they'd get you a job with the federal government or working directly for them and not with the federal government? Or maybe as some kind of subcontractor?

Government jobs usually follow a process - a bureaucratic process that can be annoying, but not one that is designed for trickery and deception.

I don't think you're more likely to "sell your soul" for a government job any more than you would for a private one. And I'd expect the latter to be much more likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Are you sure this was an actual job with the federal government? And not some kind of scam organization that either said they'd get you a job with the federal government or working directly for them and not with the federal government? Or maybe as some kind of subcontractor?

Government jobs usually follow a process - a bureaucratic process that can be annoying, but not one that is designed for trickery and deception.

I don't think you're more likely to "sell your soul" for a government job any more than you would for a private one. And I'd expect the latter to be much more likely.
Lol yes I am 110% sure. Trust me it was very bureaucratic. By the way, trickery and deception is par for the course in military recruiting.

As for selling your soul, completely disagree. Gov and private work is fundamentally different- one exists whether or not it does anything of value, the other is not guaranteed. Decide which is which.

Man jimmies get rustled fast when you criticize the federal government. Makes no sense. It's the most impersonal form of gov and least accountable. I guess you don't mind working for Trump, but some of us aren't bigots.

Ok now for real that was my last comment. If you wanna dm me fine. Too much of this has gone off the rails though.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:57 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
From my experience dealing with the people at this intelligence agency (one of the "big three").

My background is in Russian and eastern European affairs and languages. Draw your own conclusions. I don't really care what you think. You have no idea what you're talking about.

This is my last post on this topic. Keep boot licking if you want. I will return to the op's pretentious question.
Here come those crickets I was waiting on...

But thank you for all those interesting "facts" you brought into this discussion.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:38 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
This is why people think the east coast is pretentious, just FYI.

How is that pretentious? Different regions of the country value different things. Northeasterners value education, more than most places in the US do. And arguably, Boston, and the surrounding areas, have some of the most prestigious colleges and universities in the United States.

Right in the Boston-Cambridge area, are Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston University, Simmons College, Boston College and others.

Outside of Boston are Wellesley, Brandies Tufts and Bentley.

I would argue that Massachusetts as a whole is a very intellectual state.

Where as the South seems to value sports, evangelical Christianity and military service, the Northest has other values, and intellectualism is one of them.

Easily, Boston could be thought of as the "Capital of American Intellectualism",in a country that tends not to value that pursuit very much.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:15 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Lol yes I am 110% sure. Trust me it was very bureaucratic. By the way, trickery and deception is par for the course in military recruiting.

As for selling your soul, completely disagree. Gov and private work is fundamentally different- one exists whether or not it does anything of value, the other is not guaranteed. Decide which is which.

Man jimmies get rustled fast when you criticize the federal government. Makes no sense. It's the most impersonal form of gov and least accountable. I guess you don't mind working for Trump, but some of us aren't bigots.

Ok now for real that was my last comment. If you wanna dm me fine. Too much of this has gone off the rails though.
Ok. Being in the military is a different thing and I have no experience with the ins and outs of that. It is not the same as being in the civil service or serving as a bureaucrat in one of the administrative agencies or other governmental office. I can believe that trickery and deception may be common in military recruiting.

For most of the government jobs, you're not really working "for Trump," as they're not supposed to be political in any way. Of course, in this administration, everything is out the window, so there certainly is a possibility for a real meltdown to occur.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:48 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Major metro? Forget the East Coast, its arguably the most intellectual in the whole country. It's not something where you can easily pick out a definite winner; different criteria will probably favor different places. Boston will score at or near the top in most. We have lots of universities, lots of high-tech and highly-skilled jobs, and Reasonable access to fine arts. D.C. has Boston beat on museums and overall education levels, the Bay Area has us beat on jobs, NYC and Chicago are way ahead in the arts, but I think we are competitive in all those and lead as far as universities go.

That's not to say Boston is entirely filled with intellectuals, but there isn't a lot of rampant anti-intellectualism. I've never heard someone hear use the term intellectual as a way to sarcastically discredit something that's true but which runs counter to normal experience.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:45 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:

when i was in boston i answered an ad in the metro for a federal government position. the place was in braintree (but they probably relocated). it was actually for paying for a class to learn how to fill out government applications ($500).

very vague.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 AM

126 posts, read 123,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
How is that pretentious? Different regions of the country value different things. Northeasterners value education, more than most places in the US do. And arguably, Boston, and the surrounding areas, have some of the most prestigious colleges and universities in the United States.

Right in the Boston-Cambridge area, are Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston University, Simmons College, Boston College and others.

Outside of Boston are Wellesley, Brandies Tufts and Bentley.

I would argue that Massachusetts as a whole is a very intellectual state.

Where as the South seems to value sports, evangelical Christianity and military service, the Northest has other values, and intellectualism is one of them.

Easily, Boston could be thought of as the "Capital of American Intellectualism",in a country that tends not to value that pursuit very much.
i read all the pages in the thread and someone FINALLY mentioned why Boston is an "intellectual" or "educated" city! It's colleges!!! Bravo It doesn't have the moniker "Athens of America" for nothing. I wont even list the ones outside the city/Cambridge but some very notable schools to add to your list include:

Northeastern-
Berklee College of Music
Suffolk University
Emmanuel College
Emerson College
Fisher College
Wentworth

Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times
I was being somewhat facetious, and unfortunately I know Baltimore is an after-thought in this conversation on "most intellectual."

Quote:
I always forget about Baltimore. But no, it is not as intellectual as Boston. Or DC.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I was being somewhat facetious, and unfortunately I know Baltimore is an after-thought in this conversation on "most intellectual."
Baltimore does have Johns Hopkins, which is an exceptional school, but after that, nothing that's very distinguished. Certainly much more in surrounding cities like Philly and Wash DC..

Boston is probably the most intellectual, but it's competitive..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston