Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about going planning a trip to boston during memorial weekend.

My goals are to visit the freedom trail, get clam chowder and a lobster roll, a slice of boston creme pie and maybe see harvard campus to see what the fuss is about.

Will 3 days be enough? Is the pizza worth trying? Are there any seafood places worth going to? I want a seafood place that will make me say wow and blow away one in nyc.

I will use the subway system.

Last edited by Dangerous-Boy; 02-28-2018 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 08:02 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,730,559 times
You can do a decent amount in 3 days, and coming from NYC, that will be a reasonable time given the travel. If you are in NYC, don't bother getting pizza here. Sadly, it is not good. Anywhere. (Well, Ernesto's in the North End is decent, but if you have regular access to NYC area pizza, I'd get something else.)

I think Charter House is a nice place to get seafood, especially if you eat outside -- it is a great location, and seems almost quintessentially Boston. But there are other great places, and I'm sure plenty of folks will offer their favorites.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:32 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,842,491 times
New England is big on Greek style pizza vs. the Italian. Not sure why — maybe not so much because people like and demand it as because the pizzerias are Greek owned and sell Greek pizza. Or maybe New York dominates the pizza narrative so much that people assume it’s not good unless it’s Italian/New York style pizza? I don’t know. Anyway, I agree with chicagoliz: don’t go out of your way for pizza in Boston. Going to pizzeria Regina in the North End is a kind of cliche. Probably good enough; in any case the North end itself is amazing to wander through and has some very good seafood.

No fuss over the Harvard campus; it’s not romantic like Yale’s or imperial like Columbia’s. It has a lot early American charm in the Harvard Yard, and the adjoining Harvard Square neighborhood and surroundings are beautiful.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,941 times
Greek pizza is greasier and thicker then Italian pizza. It's more fattening. I prefer thin crust pizza. NY style is basically a thin crust Italian style of pizza.

Some people do like the greasy filling thick pizza. It's all preference.

My favorite pizza place in the area is Flatbread. There is a Somerville location, as well as ones in Salem, Bedford/Burlington, Salem, and Georgetown.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:23 PM

3,224 posts, read 2,128,917 times
Neither city has traditional Italian pizza as their "style" they both have their own thing. That being said, If you're around the North end doing the history thing it may not be a bad idea to try a slice at reginas or ernestos because for a couple bucks you can have an experience versus a "someone on the internet said" you may not like it as much as NY or you may. It's not a heavy stakes game.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:40 PM

11,067 posts, read 12,466,771 times
just have some pizza who cares what snobs online think? It will set you back what $4 max?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,928,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
You can do a decent amount in 3 days, and coming from NYC, that will be a reasonable time given the travel. If you are in NYC, don't bother getting pizza here. Sadly, it is not good. Anywhere. (Well, Ernesto's in the North End is decent, but if you have regular access to NYC area pizza, I'd get something else.)

I think Charter House is a nice place to get seafood, especially if you eat outside -- it is a great location, and seems almost quintessentially Boston. But there are other great places, and I'm sure plenty of folks will offer their favorites.
Ahem. Pizza in Boston is fantastic. But the countertop joints do not stack up to NYC in quality, nevermind in volume.

Some spots with excellent pie:
Area Four- South End
Brewers Fork- Charlestown
Picco- South End
Pastoral- Fort Point
Posto- Davis Square
The Salty Pig- Back Bay

If you want the classic, hit the original Pizzeria Regina in the North End.

As for the trip in it's entirety- Hit Quincy Market for lunch on the weekend. Usually a lot of foot traffic, street performers etc. It's a must if you've never been. Take a stroll between Charles St. through the common/public garden over down Newbury St. Great walk, one that anyone would appreciate.. Might be the most beautiful consolidation of urban architecture as it ultimately stretches a few miles. Ton of great shopping, cafe's, etc. on Newbury st. Of course, you have the obligatory dinner in the North End. Don't listen to anyone reccomendations- Simply walk around between Hanover and Salem and pick the one that looks like the experience you desire. There are like 100+ italian restaraunts within 6 blocks.

On one of the days, crossover and check out Cambridge/Somerville via the red line. Harvard Square is cool, and you can float between the commercial area and the campus very easily. If you want to try my favorite brunch in New England, hit Alden & Harlow. Might be worth hopping off the red line and starting in Central Square. Cool area, and I like checking out all of the weird and eclectic side neighboroods. If you're a beer fan, stop in at a local brewery- I'd reccomend Lamplighter. Once you've walked over and you're done in Harvard, you can head another stop on the red line and walk around Davis Square. It serves as a mix between young proffessional neighborhood, starving musician neighborhood, and Tufts University downtown. Five Horse Tavern, The Saloon, Foundry, Red Bones, Painted Burro.. All good bars and restaraunts. Between Davis and Union Square, there are a number of intrictate restaraunts, theatres, and venues to check out.

Most importantly, for a mic-drop seafood dinner, make reservations at Row 34. Ridiculously good. And if you like beer, you'll be in heaven. They have an excellent local draft list at all times that includes Trillium, one of the highest rated breweries in North America. It's in kind of a new, nondescript area called Fort Point. It's inland from Seaport and differes in style from the rest of the city. There's also Drink, which has been sighted as one of the best cocktail bars in the US. You walk down, a mixologist asks what kind of tastes you prefer, and they spin up something incredible. Before or after dinner, hit some of the rooftop bars and restaraunts in Seaport.. The Envoy, Whiskey Preist, Legal Harborside Rooftop. If there are any shows in town, check out the Pavilion in Seaport. It's a harbor side concert venue right down the road in Seaport.

Last edited by mwj119; 03-01-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,842,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Ahem. Pizza in Boston is fantastic.
Wow mwj— Happy to stand corrected on the pizza front!

Old 03-01-2018, 07:33 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,928,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Wow mwj— Happy to stand corrected on the pizza front!
Haha, meant to be sarcastic/funny backlash. Though food and beer, as my post suggests, is not to be taken lightly!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:09 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Some spots with excellent pie:
Area Four- South End
Brewers Fork- Charlestown
Picco- South End
Pastoral- Fort Point
Posto- Davis Square
The Salty Pig- Back Bay
Add Santarpio's in East Boston.

Greek pizza is popular because it's simpler, easier and faster to produce. No great mastery is required. Most every "House of Pizza" is made with the same pre-made Sysco ingredients and pretty much identical. Some prefer it to Italian, I personally don't. Even the very best Greek pie is just a 4 out of 10 IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston