Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:50 PM

86 posts, read 124,364 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be visiting Boston in June for three days. This will be my first trip to the city and the east coast. I have some questions about the city. My questions are,

1. What safety measures should I take in the city?
I'm from the suburbs of Minneapolis. I've visited big cities before such as Chicago and Las Vegas without incident. I would like to know does Boston require the same level of vigilance that Chicago would require.

2. How user friendly is the subway system?
I'm going to be staying in the downtown area. I will not have a car so I plan on using the mass transit system a lot. I would like to know how difficult is it to find the correct train to take. As I mentioned I've visited Chicago so I have experience with major city mass transit system but the CTA is the only system I've used.

3. Are there any quirks when walking around on the city sidewalks?
I know this may seem like a strange question but I've read that major East Coast cities have unwritten rules when walking around such as a person must walk on the right side of the side walk. I've also heard that people in Boston jaywalk constantly. What are some things a tourist needs to know and do when walking around the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 04:37 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,165 times
I visited Boston last year in March during a cold spell. Your June trip should be a nice one. The T can be a bit confusing and slowish but if you prepare yourself for a trip in advance, you will do fine. If you stress at this, just look at the subway map and find the stations where you change lines and bus correspondance.

As for sidewalks, I noticed Bostonians are a fairly civil bunch and won't tackle you and tend to make room. I noticed in my home town that increasingly, folks bunch up; couples will walk side by side on a narrow sidewalk or groups will bulldoze on a wide one. In any case, I always look at people and maneuver to make space for them. It is always a good idea to edge to the right whenever possible, the general rules of driving should apply to a degree on busy walkways.

As for safety, I found Boston pleasant and did not feel the need for avoiding certain parts of downtown. It really is a beautifully laid out city and great to explore.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:37 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
As far as safety, I wouldn't worry. Most of the city is walkable and quite enjoyable doing so. You can walk from the Boston common to the tip of Newbury st. on about 30 min. and it's a nice walk. Same with downtown to the seaport or north end. I think you chose well with a downtown location. Enjoy your stay.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
I don't take any greater level of vigilance in Boston than I have when in Chicago or Las Vegas. Boston is a relatively safe city. Just use common sense.

The T is less extensive than the El, and the drivers are not as friendly. But as far as figuring out where you need to go, it's not any more difficult and probably easier than the CTA.

I don't think there is anything unique to know. You should be aware that Boston drivers are insane - more so than in most other cities. I don't think the jaywalking is any more intense than in other cities (except California cities, where they take jaywalking *very* seriously.) If there are any "rules" about walking on a sidewalk, I've never followed any of them.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:13 AM

652 posts, read 749,744 times
Just don’t take up the entire sidewalk. People are trying to get places and they might get angry if you block them. Most importantly... do not suddenly stop while you’re walking to look at something or your phone. You could block the flow and people could bump into you and get quite upset.

Safety measures, the biggest things are just to act like you belong and don’t engage with shifty people or panhandlers.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:55 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,656,467 times
It's safer than Chicago, the subway map is color-coded and people jaywalk.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:32 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It's safer than Chicago, the subway map is color-coded and people jaywalk.
This, mostly. Boston is largely very safe, especially the areas you'll spend your time in. The downtown areas of Boston and Minneapolis are comparable when it comes to crime.

While on this thread, give us an idea of what you'd like to do/what you typically enjoy during visits to cities. Local fare, water, history, sports, etc.

Last edited by mwj119; 05-10-2018 at 07:43 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Find the biggest dude you can find and punch him square in the nose. That'll alert the others that you mean business and to stay clear. Tourist on Tourist crime has been prevalent so watch out for people w/cameras.

Totally joking. It's a pretty safe city. Downtown is pretty clean and will have an ok number of people around in June. Most students will be gone for the summer though (that's a plus for me...less crowded).

The T is good IMO. Easy to read and understand. It's not what I would call an extensive and complicated system like in NYC. You won't need a car.

No wacky quirks that I'm familiar with in terms of walking and sidewalks. I do stay to the right. Some walk fast. As a courtesy to those that live here, be aware when you are ambling around enjoying yourself and let them pass. They have somewhere to go, you're on vacation.

Nothing really to be anxious about I think. You'll have a good time.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
You'll be fine. Just don't talk to the bums or give them money. Ignore them and keep walking. There will be plenty of them at Downtown Crossing and the Common.

I've never heard of sidewalk rules. Don't worry about it.

You shouldn't have a problem navigating the T.

It's a great city. Enjoy your trip!

Old 05-10-2018, 09:29 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Personally I find the MBTA to be more intuitive than most transit systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston