Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 02:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,007 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Boston soon and considering an apartment in the South End. If I lived there, I would need to take the Orange Line to/from Mass. Ave to Back Bay for work. I'm wondering about the safety of those stations, as well as the train itself?

For reference, I'm a young Asian woman and I will be working long hours so I'm particularly wondering about personal safety at night, e.g. 8pm-12am.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 05:11 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
The orange line itself is reasonably safe, and Back Bay station is generally fine. However, the Mass Ave station itself has had some issues in the past. It is not somewhere I would necessarily recommend a young woman going alone late at night.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:23 AM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The orange line itself is reasonably safe, and Back Bay station is generally fine. However, the Mass Ave station itself has had some issues in the past. It is not somewhere I would necessarily recommend a young woman going alone late at night.

Yeah pretty much this, and I also might be a little more worried about the streets surrounding Mass Ave. than the station itself.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:34 AM

5,105 posts, read 2,663,898 times
You're talking about less than a mile span. You can walk as it is, although not a great idea late nights. But if you can simply get an apartment literally less than a mile closer to Back Bay (I'm assuming work is near Back Bay or you intend to take commuter rail from there), then the issue is moot. There is always an element of risk walking in the city late at night. There are tactics that you can use to mitigate, but not eliminate, those risks.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:44 AM

OP are you familiar with the South End at all? I ask, because it can be a little dicey and Mass. Ave. is generally the more problematic side. Where will you be living? For instance, this is "Methadone Mile" and hopefully you did not commit to any rental in that vicinity.

(15) Out Here On Mass Ave Aka Methadone Mile - YouTube

Old 06-12-2021, 10:55 AM

5,105 posts, read 2,663,898 times
Great, now we have lunatics from RI coming here to stir up a hornet's nest in the name of "helping." Okay.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:12 AM

I guess he's helping out Domingos DaRosa's campaign.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:00 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefl0wer View Post
Hi, I'm moving to Boston soon and considering an apartment in the South End. If I lived there, I would need to take the Orange Line to/from Mass. Ave to Back Bay for work. I'm wondering about the safety of those stations, as well as the train itself?

For reference, I'm a young Asian woman and I will be working long hours so I'm particularly wondering about personal safety at night, e.g. 8pm-12am.

Thanks in advance!
That's a very short trip to take via T. Mass Ave is a little sketchier, though there's also enough people still out and about from around 8-11ish that nobody is going to risk having 20 witnesses to a crime right on Mass Ave. If you start walking darker side streets, particularly southward into Roxbury, it could be a problem.

If you live between Mass Ave and Back Bay stations, I'd just walk as there really does seem to be an invisible line on Mass Ave. Even one block north is very different than one block south. That's not to say bad things don't happen, but they will happen with much less frequency. The epicenter of issues is Mass & Cass, with things getting a little less sketchy at Mass & Washington, again at Mass & Tremont, and by the time you're at Mass & Huntington about the worst you'll see is the occasional person who's drugged off their backside screaming random profanities or the sad kiddies on their ATVs and bikes making noise down the street.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:44 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OP are you familiar with the South End at all? I ask, because it can be a little dicey and Mass. Ave. is generally the more problematic side. Where will you be living? For instance, this is "Methadone Mile" and hopefully you did not commit to any rental in that vicinity.
The walk from Methadone Mile to Mass Ave Station is probably longer than the walk from Mass Ave to Back Bay. So the OP prooobably isn't too close.

@ the OP, Methadone Mile is around the Boston Medical Center. It's worse to the south of the hospital, but the blocks to the north go from real nice to sketchy fairly quickly.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The walk from Methadone Mile to Mass Ave Station is probably longer than the walk from Mass Ave to Back Bay. So the OP prooobably isn't too close.

@ the OP, Methadone Mile is around the Boston Medical Center. It's worse to the south of the hospital, but the blocks to the north go from real nice to sketchy fairly quickly.
I would not advise a single young female to be within blocks of Boston Medical Center in ANY direction, but you are probably right. I just wanted to throw that out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston