Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 08:11 AM

432 posts, read 415,263 times

Advertisements

tap water through a Brita (which does not get PFAS) for me

I'm surprised the Nashua River is not on the list. Thank you Marion Stoddart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 11:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Tapwater has to meet strict federal water quality standards for potable water. Water utilities test and monitor for compliance. Whereas Desani, Poland Spring, etc. can fill their bottles with whatever under much less oversight than municipal water districts. Not to say springwater isn't what it says it is but I don't know why I'd trust Nestle any more than I'd trust MWRA or other local Mass water utility.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree, Boston/MWRA water beats pretty much any bottled water you would buy.

Do you mean taste or safety?

Distilled water has no chemicals at all and is guaranteed to be safer than any tap water. (Contamination from the containers is another thing.)

Old 07-23-2021, 12:05 PM

432 posts, read 415,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Tapwater has to meet strict federal water quality standards for potable water. Water utilities test and monitor for compliance. Whereas Desani, Poland Spring, etc. can fill their bottles with whatever under much less oversight than municipal water districts. Not to say springwater isn't what it says it is but I don't know why I'd trust Nestle any more than I'd trust MWRA or other local Mass water utility.
Any Dasani you buy around here is purified Ayer water.
Ayer was over the limit for PFAS from January to March and are in the process of putting in a treatment system at the offending well.
I have to wonder if the bottling plant's purification process eliminates it.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
And after filling it stays in plastic bottles, sometimes improperly stored, for months.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
The most recent (June) MWRA water quality analysis of both organic and inorganic matter in Boston municipal water showed undetectable levels of mercury, along with other potentially harmful substances. (Table on page 9)

Clean bill of health all around. Boston is lucky to have such a good water source in the Quabbin, with its natural and man-made purification systems supplying its consumers with such good quality tap water.

https://www.mwra.com/monthly/wqupdat...021/072021.pdf

Old 07-23-2021, 01:33 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
This question actually scares me. Are there so many out there blowing through cases of Poland Spring or Dasani single-use bottles in Boston?
I know a few of these types (but not in the city itself) and most are on wells. Our friends have a place on Lake Winnie and the well water is absolute garbage. It tastes creamy and a bit silty and even though I'm not picky about tap water, but it's tough to drink - like a mud water shake. Thankfully, the filtered water dispensed from the fridge is fine, but that doesn't stop them from having case upon case of Poland Spring in the fridge.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Do you mean taste or safety?

Distilled water has no chemicals at all and is guaranteed to be safer than any tap water. (Contamination from the containers is another thing.)
Distilled water is less beneficial than municipal tap water because it removed the “good” soluble minerals like calcium and magnesium when it removed the “bad” ones like lead, arsenic and mercury. It may also not completely remove all chemicals.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:08 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Distilled water is less beneficial than municipal tap water because it removed the “good” soluble minerals like calcium and magnesium when it removed the “bad” ones like lead, arsenic and mercury. It may also not completely remove all chemicals.
Distilled water is made from condensed vapor, so no there is no chemical. (Of course sometimes the producing process is not perfect.)
The minerals from tap water can be easily compensated from food, since they are in very low volumes from tap water.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:05 AM

In the context of the discussion of store bought distilled water used as drinking water vs. tap, no, distilled water may not be completely chemical free, nor safer, nor more beneficial than tap water.

And the OP was posted in the Boston section, so the tap water relevant here is that produced by MWRA, drawn from the Quabbin and Wachusett reservoirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston