Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2022, 07:31 PM

10 posts, read 11,328 times

Advertisements

The most recent thread I saw was from 2013-2014-ish, so I thought I would start a new thread about buying in Cambridge vs Somerville given that the Green Line Expansion is actually underway and Union Square is undergoing a ton of changes (and more that I probably don't know about).

I have a preference for Cambridge mostly because it is greener (this is very important to me), but have a few questions:

- How would you compare the public schools? (Cambridge Rindge and Latin vs Somerville High School for one, but what about at the elementary and middle school levels as well?) Also, do kids walk to school at Somerville HS?

- Do you think Somerville will ever become more green? I have looked at the Somerville Urban Forestry page, and it appears that Somerville plants about 200-300 trees per year. I am not sure how Cambridge compares, but Cambridge overall seems much greener.

- It looks like (on cursory glance) that Cambridge property values appreciate at a slightly higher rate than Somerville properties, even for ones that are very close to the Cambridge-Somerville border. Am I getting the right impression?

- If anybody lives near the train tracks, how bad is it? Can you hear the trains, and how frequently are they running by?

- Are there any palpable differences between how well the cities are run? Based on our experience living in Cambridge, the city seems well-run (recycling programs, libraries, parks/green space).

Somerville cons:
- less green, parks are not as nice
- not a huge fan of the triple decker aesthetically (does anybody know the history of how Somerville came to have SO MANY triple deckers)?
- higher property taxes

Somerville pros:
- cool artistic community
- less gentrified sort of?

Cambridge cons:
- Expensive
- I don't know what is going on with Central Square but suddenly there are a ton of dispensaries, recent increase in robberies

Cambridge pros:
- lower property tax
- seems like a great investment to buy here because the value seems to steadily appreciate no matter what
- elementary schools seem very strong
- presence of major universities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 07:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,251 times
My $.02 having lived in both cities for parts for the last few decades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelpic View Post
- How would you compare the public schools? (Cambridge Rindge and Latin vs Somerville High School for one, but what about at the elementary and middle school levels as well?) Also, do kids walk to school at Somerville HS?
CRLS is an outstanding school and better than Somerville High School academically. Also, the CPD has done a great job with youth outreach keeping gang activity to a minimum at CRLS. Somerville has some MS-13 issues a few years back, not sure where that stands now.

Somerville schools in general have made great strides over the past decade as the city gentrifies. Middle schools are the weak link in both cities.

Quote:
- Do you think Somerville will ever become more green?
Cambridge abuts the Charles River on its entire southern border which offers parkland and green space along this stretch, in addition to the Fresh Pond reservoir. Somerville will become more green, but will never surpass Cambridge in this area.

Quote:
- It looks like (on cursory glance) that Cambridge property values appreciate at a slightly higher rate than Somerville properties, even for ones that are very close to the Cambridge-Somerville border. Am I getting the right impression?
Historically this has been the case, but you could argue that Somerville has greater potential for further appreciation in the future from current levels.

Quote:
- If anybody lives near the train tracks, how bad is it? Can you hear the trains, and how frequently are they running by?
If you are referring the the MBTA commuter rail line, I wouldn't think twice about it. Trains are not frequent and you will barely notice them after a short while.

Quote:
Somerville pros:
- cool artistic community
- less gentrified sort of?
Both of these are less true every day.

Quote:
Cambridge cons:
- I don't know what is going on with Central Square but suddenly there are a ton of dispensaries, recent increase in robberies

Cambridge pros:
- lower property tax
- seems like a great investment to buy here because the value seems to steadily appreciate no matter what
- elementary schools seem very strong
The immediate area around Carl Baron Plaza in Central square has become much worse since Covid. It went from a gritty area, to one people don't let their kids pass through unaccompanied. It's a shame, and despite having a sub station right there, CPD has been limited from doing too much about it. Central Square as a whole is gentrifying however, from MIT up the Mass Ave corridor.

The low tax rates in Cambridge is one of the best things about living there.

Not sure I agree Cambridge is a great investment at current price levels. Cambridge property values actually didn't appreciate significantly until around 2010. They have skyrocketed since. However, there are a lot of zoning changes that may impact property valuations going forward. Making the city more affordable wouldn't be a bad thing, but real estate investors may not feel the same way.

Cambridge elementary schools are strong relative to the city of Boston, but just adequate compared with most of the greater Boston area. As with any schools, parental involvement in their child's education will move the needle more than anything. There are a dozen elementary schools in Cambridge, and the educational experience can vary widely.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:02 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
I don't have much info that can give you insight but do want to comment that I moved to MA in 2010.

I looked at Somerville as a place to buy because it was touted as “the next Cambridge” and the chatter was that this would affect property values a lot and would affect the area in terms of development, etc. I have not seen that happen and am glad I did not buy there but I did strongly consider it. And my kid was 3 at the time. I was not impressed with the schools but again, have no direct experience.

Cambridge is just more progressive and I think will continue to be, and will continue the march towards more green (bike’s, scooters, green space, walkability, etc.).

Just my opinion on it though. Best of luck.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:18 PM

17 posts, read 13,651 times
Curious discussion as I've also moved to Cambridge recently with school-age kids. We moved here without much research or comparing to other cities because of spouse's need to quickly relocate for jobs.

I've heard from parents of my kids friends at school that middle schools in Cambridge is meh at best. Why is this? Are there any good alternatives (other than $$$ privates)?

Also, while I agree that the area around Central Sq seems gritty (many homeless people?) I'm curious to know what the history of the area is.

We actually live within walking distance to Central Sq and I feel our neighborhood is safe for my young kids for the most part, except around that square.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:15 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
I think everyone complains about middle schools everywhere. I can't recall anyone - even those with kids in private schools - say much positive about middle school.

It's a hard time for kids with all the changes they go through physically, mentally, and emotionally. They leave a protected little classroom bubble and 3 years later are supposed to be ready for the rigors of high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston