Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 04:40 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander617 View Post
An Old Rozzie place looks like it will reopen soon.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...ibextid=Nif5oz
Looking good! can't wait for this one to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 08:50 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
https://boston.eater.com/2023/3/3/23...-closing-march

Atwoods!
Sad Sad news. Such a beautiful place that was hand built by the owners. One of the greatest places to see live music and such a fabulous outdoor area. This is a real shame.

Old 05-27-2023, 05:10 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Wow....Brooks Brothers. Newbury Street. Gone!

Just passed by and it's empty.. That and Burburry (sp?) now gone from that side of block.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:29 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Wow....Brooks Brothers. Newbury Street. Gone!

Just passed by and it's empty.. That and Burburry (sp?) now gone from that side of block.

They are in Assembly Square and Chestnut Hill so I guess they determined that was enough. Place has been there as long as I can remember. There isn't as much of a traditional "business" crowd running around Back Bay as there once was. At least not the types who wear business attire.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:30 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I never made it here...but it's closing:

https://www.boston.com/news/business...oodbye-photos/

Old 07-10-2023, 01:14 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Hmmm, I am the OP and now notice I didn't include retail in the title.

Retail:

Obviously, Christmas Tree Shops is the big loss now, for New England and beyond. Ooops..but it's not in Boston, so maybe doesn't count for this thread (sarcasm). I may have gone once many years ago, not sure if in Somerville or Lynnfield...or never. Weird, but just can't recall if I simply drove past the storefront or actually went in. I liked their occasional circulars in the local newspapers...and the catchy jingle: "Don't You Just Love a Bargain?...ba ba ba!" A classic. When was the last time it aired...it was on both radio and tv, I think?

Damn! Georgetown Cupcake on Newbury St.
is done! Not the cupcakes in the oven, mind you, but the entire store. I think it left NYC and L.A. last year. Will miss it dearly!

And the Brooks Brothers on Newbury has shuttered! I think I may have mentioned that earlier. Plus I had mentioned Burberry has left, the beautiful brownstone at the corner of Arlington and Newbury.

And Teuscher Swiss Chocolates on Newbury Street has closed! They had been there for years. Also saw it at Rockefeller Center years ago. A vague sign in their window says they'll move nearby, but just for takeout and pickups. Huh? That's not the same as browsing in their store.

Anyway, just strolled by Brookline Avenue in the Fenway...and Marshall's has closed. Not sure when. Hmmm ..lasted about 10 years? And the CVS at Boylston and Ipswich near Fenway Park has closed... I think a while ago now?

I guess we can/should expand this thread to not just Boston, but nearby towns and maybe even Massachusetts?

Well then, Peaceful Meadows ice cream in Whitman after 60 years or so is closing its Whitman store, but the Plymouth store will remain.

Good to see this thread not so active anymore. But of course there will continue to be closings, even in good times. But it seems there have been many restaurants and such opening the past couple of years in Boston and the state, thankfully.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:05 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Christmas tree shops haven't been popular for a while. They compete with home goods, home sense, tj max, Marshall's, target, online shopping, dollar stores etc. there hasn't been anything special about Xmas tree shops in over a decade. My kids went there recently and said, there's no Christmas stuff! It was just their time

Georgetown cupcake was pretty popular at one point. I remember it was a gift to send people in offices. They were a nice touch and I recall lots of excitement about receiving Georgetown cupcakes. I suppose these days there are too many vegan, gluten-free, lactose intolerant people out there.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:22 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Hmmm, I am the OP and now notice I didn't include retail in the title.

Retail:

Obviously, Christmas Tree Shops is the big loss now, for New England and beyond. Ooops..but it's not in Boston, so maybe doesn't count for this thread (sarcasm). I may have gone once many years ago, not sure if in Somerville or Lynnfield...or never. Weird, but just can't recall if I simply drove past the storefront or actually went in. I liked their occasional circulars in the local newspapers...and the catchy jingle: "Don't You Just Love a Bargain?...ba ba ba!" A classic. When was the last time it aired...it was on both radio and tv, I think?

Damn! Georgetown Cupcake on Newbury St.
is done! Not the cupcakes in the oven, mind you, but the entire store. I think it left NYC and L.A. last year. Will miss it dearly!

And the Brooks Brothers on Newbury has shuttered! I think I may have mentioned that earlier. Plus I had mentioned Burberry has left, the beautiful brownstone at the corner of Arlington and Newbury.

And Teuscher Swiss Chocolates on Newbury Street has closed! They had been there for years. Also saw it at Rockefeller Center years ago. A vague sign in their window says they'll move nearby, but just for takeout and pickups. Huh? That's not the same as browsing in their store.

Anyway, just strolled by Brookline Avenue in the Fenway...and Marshall's has closed. Not sure when. Hmmm ..lasted about 10 years? And the CVS at Boylston and Ipswich near Fenway Park has closed... I think a while ago now?

I guess we can/should expand this thread to not just Boston, but nearby towns and maybe even Massachusetts?

Well then, Peaceful Meadows ice cream in Whitman after 60 years or so is closing its Whitman store, but the Plymouth store will remain.

Good to see this thread not so active anymore. But of course there will continue to be closings, even in good times. But it seems there have been many restaurants and such opening the past couple of years in Boston and the state, thankfully.
Thank you for the update. It's a sad day to see BB, Burberry gone from Newbury Street.

I really hope retail bounces back, it may take a business cycle or two to do so.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:24 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Christmas tree shops haven't been popular for a while. They compete with home goods, home sense, tj max, Marshall's, target, online shopping, dollar stores etc. there hasn't been anything special about Xmas tree shops in over a decade. My kids went there recently and said, there's no Christmas stuff! It was just their time

Georgetown cupcake was pretty popular at one point. I remember it was a gift to send people in offices. They were a nice touch and I recall lots of excitement about receiving Georgetown cupcakes. I suppose these days there are too many vegan, gluten-free, lactose intolerant people out there.
I don't think it had anything to do with dietary restrictions - the designer cupcake market has simply died out. They also closed their NYC and LA locations earlier this year.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:29 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Thank you for the update. It's a sad day to see BB, Burberry gone from Newbury Street.
Brooks Brothers was Brooks Brothers in name only over the past decade. They turned into a mass market and e-commerce company, with price to quality ratio to match. In reality, Brooks Brothers has been gone for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
the designer cupcake market has simply died out
and it's been replaced with the $7 designer cookies of Levian bakery (the next fad to die out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston