Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 09:29 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

They just announced the Red Robin at the South Shore Plaza is closing. A "loss", I guess??? I always forget that it's even there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 09:36 AM

16,318 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I have eaten at that red robin about 3 times (a few years ago) and I actually like Red Robin, lol. It was always crowded when i was there...I think there's one in Plymouth too. There's quite a few eating choices at south shore plaza...of course there's always a wait for any of them.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They just announced the Red Robin at the South Shore Plaza is closing. A "loss", I guess??? I always forget that it's even there.
Same for the Mass Pike. I think I recall seeing an article where they are closing 4 local spots. No loss in my view, although I'm sure someone will miss it.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:42 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
I saw that one - I haven't thought about Red Robin in years. Along those lines, 99 in Canton closed on the 27th. That's the 3rd this year (Somerville and Saugus). I know most people probably don't care, but I actually really enjoy the Fall River location. It's in a repurposed mill building so the aesthetic is a little better than your typical strip mall location and the bar scene there was actually kind of lively. I don't hate the food either. It could just be that there's a glut of them at this point. The Somerville location was a mile from the Charlestown location. The Saugus location is a relatively short distance from the Danvers location and the new Middleton location. Canton was close to the Norwood and S. Easton locations. It's not as if 99 fans are going to be left wanting.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:44 AM

I think that's the thing...there are restaurants closing but will anyone really miss them? I am not a regular anywhere really. I have a few places that I'd be like oh wow, that's too bad if they closed but there are plenty of other places to go to.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I saw that one - I haven't thought about Red Robin in years. Along those lines, 99 in Canton closed on the 27th. That's the 3rd this year (Somerville and Saugus). I know most people probably don't care, but I actually really enjoy the Fall River location. It's in a repurposed mill building so the aesthetic is a little better than your typical strip mall location and the bar scene there was actually kind of lively. I don't hate the food either. It could just be that there's a glut of them at this point. The Somerville location was a mile from the Charlestown location. The Saugus location is a relatively short distance from the Danvers location and the new Middleton location. Canton was close to the Norwood and S. Easton locations. It's not as if 99 fans are going to be left wanting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think that's the thing...there are restaurants closing but will anyone really miss them? I am not a regular anywhere really. I have a few places that I'd be like oh wow, that's too bad if they closed but there are plenty of other places to go to.

I used to like the tips there, but I honestly can't even recall the last time I ate at a 99. There's just so many other places to pick from now no matter what area you are in, even though it still does exceed the average chain.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What I tend to miss most when they close are are tried and true places that offer a non-pretentious menu with a broad array of options, decent prices, and casual atmosphere. In that respect, having a chain like 99 close would be a hard loss for me. It's a great place to meet up with friends and it suits a variety of tastes. It's also convenient to wherever you happen to be around Greater Boston.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:02 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
I used to like the tips there, but I honestly can't even recall the last time I ate at a 99. There's just so many other places to pick from now no matter what area you are in, even though it still does exceed the average chain.
I still appreciate the tips and tenders combo (as well as some other menu items) and it's a great spot to meet up with friends when I'm in the area between the relative quality of food and the atmosphere. I've been to the Fall River location several times in the past 6 months for that reason. I went to the Charlestown location a few years ago (pre-COVID) with some coworkers since we were in the area and couldn't agree on any of the local non-chains. There are definitely a lot of places that do better food, but it's reasonably priced and consistent. I wouldn't go way out of my way for a 99, but I definitely appreciate having one when it's close and would take it over a lot of its peers.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:05 AM

Default re

Quote:
My DH and son go to the 99 in Hingham pretty frequently. It's laid back, you can get a beer, decent food, kid friendly.

I think many people have just become 'foodies' and 'snobby' about food over the past decade. Big need for gluten free, lactose free, organic, vegan options. I'm sure that has hurt some places.

I remember a co worker of mine told me they tried to order a dairy free/gluten free cannoli at Mike's Pasty. The person working there basically told them to leave, lol. I guess she said, dairy is a very important part of our menu, this isn't the place for you.

As picky as people are most restaurants are quite crowded on the weekends anywhere so clearly going out to eat is a favorite pastime of Americans.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I still appreciate the tips and tenders combo (as well as some other menu items) and it's a great spot to meet up with friends when I'm in the area between the relative quality of food and the atmosphere. I've been to the Fall River location several times in the past 6 months for that reason. I went to the Charlestown location a few years ago (pre-COVID) with some coworkers since we were in the area and couldn't agree on any of the local non-chains. There are definitely a lot of places that do better food, but it's reasonably priced and consistent. I wouldn't go way out of my way for a 99, but I definitely appreciate having one when it's close and would take it over a lot of its peers.

Last time in Fall River I ended up at the Barrett's on N Main (Shaw's plaza). A little short on the atmosphere (the West Bridgewater location feels a lot more inviting/alive), but was still quite happy with the food, service and value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston