Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 PM

27 posts, read 135,782 times

Advertisements

I'm from Midlothian, VA (just south of Richmond) and will be graduating from Virginia Tech in May. I have accepted a position with Raytheon in Sudbury, MA and am currently looking for a place to live (apartment). I'm thinking I would like to live near the city but not in it (I'm not really a fan of parking on the street, the craziness that goes with living in the city, etc) but also not have a long drive to work everyday. I have been recommended to look into Waltham and this seems to look like a good place at least geographically but honestly I know nothing about it. If anyone has some info or comments on the area that would be greatly appreciated. If you don't think this would be a good place for me to live please tell me why and/or suggest another place if you know of one. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 PM

260 posts, read 1,192,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME Hokie 07 View Post
I'm from Midlothian, VA (just south of Richmond) and will be graduating from Virginia Tech in May. I have accepted a position with Raytheon in Sudbury, MA and am currently looking for a place to live (apartment). I'm thinking I would like to live near the city but not in it (I'm not really a fan of parking on the street, the craziness that goes with living in the city, etc) but also not have a long drive to work everyday. I have been recommended to look into Waltham and this seems to look like a good place at least geographically but honestly I know nothing about it. If anyone has some info or comments on the area that would be greatly appreciated. If you don't think this would be a good place for me to live please tell me why and/or suggest another place if you know of one. Thanks so much.
HI There,
I live in Va bch but I am from MA and lived in Waltham about 12 yrs ago. I know then it was a little on the rough side,, crime, illegals. The down town area I believe is all geared towards other nationalities other than american.. strange? I would look maybe in Newton, natick (thats were I'm from) keep in mind all of MA is really expensive everywhere. Also, If going to work in Boston try and get something near a train so you can commute. Natick is a really nice town you should check it out.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:21 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,493,954 times
Waltham is great because of the location. Commute to Sudbury is easy due to opposite traffic (either on Rt20/Rt117). Great for singles as there are many restaurants and rentals. There are commuter trains into Boston. There are 2-3 colleges around like Bentley/Brandeis... then Wellesley and Babson (a couple of towns away).

From Waltham to Boston, it is still a 25-30 minutes drive into Boston due to traffic. If you really want to party, then I suggest moving even closer to Boston like Watertown or even Brighton. There are many more college age kids. (Gees, I sound like a grandpa)

Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 45,109 times
Quote:
I can't recommend anywhere to live, but I'm amazed by what a small world it is! My dad works at Raytheon in Andover, MA and I currently live in Williamsburg, VA. My fiance is graduating from law school at W&M this year and we're also heading up to MA (or NH). Good luck from a fellow (temporary) Virginian!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:18 PM

27 posts, read 135,782 times
thanks for the replies so far everyone, everything helps at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Waltham is great because of the location. Commute to Sudbury is easy due to opposite traffic (either on Rt20/Rt117). Great for singles as there are many restaurants and rentals. There are commuter trains into Boston.
smarty, about how long would it take to go from Sudbury to Boston using one of the commuter trains? Do they run often and do you know how late? Thanks

ddonaghe, thanks for the wishes, William and Mary is a great school (far superior to that one in Charlottesville )

darzz1 and ddonaghe, since you've lived in both VA and MA are there any things that stick out in your mind as being really different between the two? I've obviously already committed to moving to MA but would like to know what to expect differently than what I'm used to.

Thanks all!

Old 01-26-2007, 06:12 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,493,954 times
Quote:
smarty, about how long would it take to go from Sudbury to Boston using one of the commuter trains? Do they run often and do you know how late? Thanks
Sudbury do not have commuter rail. However, you can catch the commuter rail via Lincoln or Weston. It takes about 40 minutes from Lincoln and 5-10 minutes less from Weston(Kendal Green). There are express trains which cuts about 10 minutes off.

Check MBTA.com for schedule and fairs and maps. (select commuter rail)

Old 01-28-2007, 05:22 PM

260 posts, read 1,192,024 times
Quote:
thanks for the replies so far everyone, everything helps at this point

ddonaghe, thanks for the wishes, William and Mary is a great school (far superior to that one in Charlottesville )

darzz1 and ddonaghe, since you've lived in both VA and MA are there any things that stick out in your mind as being really different between the two? I've obviously already committed to moving to MA but would like to know what to expect differently than what I'm used to.

Thanks all!

THere are quite a few differences.. People in VA./pace of life is much slower here than in Boston. A lot of people find Bostonians rude.. however when ever I go back I don't encounter to much of that, there are rude people everywhere. I do have to say that it's been very frustrating going back to my hometown and going to stores etc.. where the people in cust serv jobs barely speak englist and then they get frustrated w/you.. go figure?! ALso... gay marriage?! guess that one is a matter of opinion. But there are lots of neat places to see.. north shore gloucester, rockport great seafood! and fall is amazing.
I have family in Watertown and if your looking for a more city type of lifestyle that might be a good place (better than Waltham). THe town if Newton is more suburb type of place than waltham. Oh.. beware driving in MA on 128,, I won't even do it when I go home.. crazy!!
Wish you lots of luck and hope you enjoy your time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston