Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 PM

9 posts, read 124,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcov2005 View Post
I am currently in South Florida and Florida schools are not the greatest. So I guess "decent" would be anything better than where we are now!
LOL. You're moving in the right direction. This state is the academic hub with many great colleges and Ivy league universities. The elementary and high schools are also highly rated.

I wouldn't suggest Allston because it's sort of our "low rent" artsy community. Like most areas adjacent to the city, they will be flooded with hundreds of loud "colorful" college kids. (I partied there in college ) Same for Brighton, though it gets nicer and quieter towards the opposite end of Commonwealth Ave--towards Brookline.

I live in Newton--"Snewton" as the urbanites call it: Range Rovers, cell phones, and soccer moms. As jaded as it is, it's a great place to raise (or shelter) kids, and less than 10 miles from the city. Despite the million dollar tags on houses, I would recommend you come and start your search here: Newton Lower Falls; West Newton; and Watertown. I bet you could find a duplex rental if you searched hard enough.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
Smile Pets Allowed

The clincher for you that you have to look for is "Pets Allowed" and there were two that I found near the MBTA "T" subway. One of them that said "Pets Allowed" is a 3B 1B for $1100 a month. It's on the 2nd floor in Everett, MA., which is the next city over from Boston. The orange line stop is Sullivan Square and then the Everett Sq. bus would then have to be taken here OR at Haymarket Sq. Just go to mbta dot com for the schedule of the buses, that's all. This one at least looks decent for the $$$. If you stay here for the time being and then figure out something else more permanent down the road, you know what I mean? This way at least you have the apartment for your dog during the day, that's the most important thing any way! I'm sending you a private message right this minute with more details on this apartment.

In the mean time, there's another one that I saw that had "Pets Allowed" and they have a dog park right across the street from the apartment. Plus it's near the Orange line of the MBTA. The only thing is it's on the 2nd floor, but it looks really clean and decent for the $$. It's MLS #70501871 and if you go to realtor dot com under rentals you'll find this one. It's in Charlestown at the Sullivan Square area, right near the "T" subway and the Back Bay station is only so many stops from here.

If these don't work out for you, then you should go further north, try Woburn for instance or Stoneham, at least you'll be able to get in to Boston in no time. I'll still send you a private message on the other one that I saw that allows pets. I'll be going crazy myself one of these days if I can't bring my cats with me, I'll be in the same boat! There's TONS of owners that don't go for Pets at all. I notice in your state there's a huge amount of Pet Friendly rentals more than up here in New England, even out west they always have more Pet Friendly places to live.

Good luck in your search any way, keep us posted and enjoy working in Boston and living some where hopefully close by or within the outskirts of Boston any way. You don't want to have a big commute if you can help it, trust me on that, I did it for years and it's no joke!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 04-03-2007 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: typo....

Old 04-03-2007, 04:15 PM

47 posts, read 332,288 times
Thanks luckycharms and citygirl! City girl I just pmd you back. I live in So. Florida and it is pet friendly for animals under 30lbs---anything else forget it! I have a cat and a 65lb dog and I have been stuck in the same apt for the last five years! I can't believe people aren't that open to dogs!

Lucky charms thanks for the input! I am not against living around RangeRovers and cell phones it sounds exactly like where I live in florida!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:01 PM

10 posts, read 69,731 times
Default Yom might try Bedford

Bedford is a nice little town that may have places to rent in your price range. Really good schools but it is at leat one hour in commuting time. I used to live in Bedford and commuted into the Back Bay.

Check out schools on this fantastic website: greatschools.net.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,200,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann8 View Post
Bedford is a nice little town that may have places to rent in your price range. Really good schools but it is at leat one hour in commuting time. I used to live in Bedford and commuted into the Back Bay.

Check out schools on this fantastic website: greatschools.net.
Another website is homefair.com. What grades are your kids in? Good school districts mean higher rent and expensive homes. We too are looking for the same thing but with four dogs, all small though. You might look in Westborough where there is an apartment complex by Equity I think and I remember seeing apartments for $1400. The school district is good and there is either the train or the T to take you into Boston in about 45 minutes and they allow dogs. They said they would even consider my four! It's a good town and family oriented near bodies of water. Check it out on Greatschools.net. I believe it was listed as the one of the best places for families to live in 2005. We rented an apartment in Lexington, also know for great schools at Katahdin Woods for $1650 and was about 20 minutes by car to Boston. Great rec center for families and really into sports there. Either one would work. Oh also Reading has good schools and apartment rentals. Let me know how it goes for you. Don't forget looking into Craigslist.com and Boston.com for rentals.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 AM

47 posts, read 332,288 times
Thanks for the input! I would really prefer to not live in another apartment. I have an 11 year old and would love a small yard for him and the dog to play in but I know that might be pushing it! I will check all the areas out!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
Hard to find everything you're looking for in one place, but if you're willing to go a couple of hundred higher on the rent then check out Bedford, Lexington, Billerica and Arlington. All have great schools, are pet friendly, and virtually no crime.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:10 PM

283 posts, read 989,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyBoston View Post
Quincy and Weymouth do not have decent schools.
Quincy and Weymouth DO have decent schools. Sorry..

Old 04-28-2007, 02:12 PM

124 posts, read 904,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Quincy and Weymouth DO have decent schools. Sorry..
I respectfully disagree (and so will refrain from the eyeroll in return). My kids are there right now. Don't like the Weymouth schools; hasn't been a good experience for us. The elementary level is OK, but beginning at jr. high, not so much. Still waiting for the curriculum there to be aligned to Mass frameworks (in reality, as opposed to in theory)... still waiting for something other than a worksheet to be sent home at night for homework. Still waiting for my older one to have to write something longer than a paragraph, for heaven's sake -- or at least to have to read a book outside of class. I mean, come on. My hubby is a teacher in another district, for the same grade level as our older one. We know what the school should be doing at this age, and what schools elsewhere do, and what the kids are capable of. But doesn't happen here.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 20,685 times
also
rockland, abington whitman. these are really nice towns to live in ,, excellent schools. very family oriented . i also live in florida now and am not happy.. but would never move back up there ! WAY to exspensive.... and car insurance is triple than here. housing is crazy,,,, and the weather,, ugly most of the time.,. i call home alot and all my family complains,, ill stay down south,,,just not florida,! im out of here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston