Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM

179 posts, read 199,753 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm moving to Chicago for work, and since I'm halfway there I think I'll explore the east coast. How does Boston compare to Detroit? I know both had/have severe racial tension problems, but both seem to have lots of history. How do the economies compare - were both hit equally hard by downturns or did Detroit fair better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times
Detroit is the posterboy for a rough city. And as far as cities they are completely different. I mean, I'm a city guy and I wouldn't venture near Detroit.

Gang violence isn't a huge issue out in boston, whereas it is in Detroit. Detroit was founded on the automobile which the economy and the infrastructure clearly display. Michigan has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation for that reason. Boston's economy is fairly diverse.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
racial tension in Boston is far, FAR from "severe". not saying it doesn't exist at all, but for the most part, you won't have much issues

I've never been to Detroit, but from what I've heard about it, it sounds like it's a dying city, for all the reason finkiemcgee stated. the Boston area still has some of the best colleges and hospitals in the nation and the tourism business is still pretty strong. if you're just coming to visit and explore, you'll have very little reason to venture out into the rougher areas of the city (the tourist attractions are mostly centered downtown, w/ a few scattered around the city)

Old 08-12-2008, 12:37 PM

103 posts, read 358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
How do the economies compare - were both hit equally hard by downturns or did Detroit fair better?
Isn't Detroit in the center of the rust belt?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM

284 posts, read 1,168,086 times
I would say Boston is fairing MUCH better than Detroit. I agree with what others have said the economy in Boston and MA in general is centered around higher ed, hospitals, and biotech - all thriving!

Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,489,581 times
There are areas in Boston where unemployment is higher... but average about ~5% umemployment rate. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.-N.H., experienced the largest rate difference among its divisions, 3.7 percentage points (Lawrence-Methuen-Salem, Mass.-N.H., 7.6 percent, compared with Nashua, N.H.-Mass., 3.9 percent).

Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Economy at a Glance

METROPOLITAN AREA EMPLOYMENT AND UNEMPLOYMENT: JUNE 2008
Of the 49 metropolitan areas with a Census 2000 population of 1 million or more, Detroit-Warren-Livonia, Mich., again recorded the highest unemployment rate, 9.7 percent in June.

Metropolitan Area Employment and Unemployment Summary

Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Hi - I'm moving to Chicago for work, and since I'm halfway there I think I'll explore the east coast. How does Boston compare to Detroit? I know both had/have severe racial tension problems, but both seem to have lots of history. How do the economies compare - were both hit equally hard by downturns or did Detroit fair better?
They don't!
Comparing Boston to Detroit is akin to comparing San Diego to Tijuana.

And if you are really from LA then trust me when I say that your city saw far more racial tensions during 3 days in 1992 than the City of Boston has seen in it's entire 378 year existence.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:14 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
Boston is palatial. Detroit is devastated. There's no comparison. The fall of Detroit is a little spoken of tragedy that if measured over the course of years is probably a far more horrific tragedy than NOLA. I also find it incredulous how if you compare Detroit to Berlin or Tokyo, 1945 vs today, how ironic and how horrendous it is that they have completely reversed roles.

Boston: Photo Thread: Back Bay, Beacon, Downtown, Chinatown

Detroit: Table of Contents for The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit

Detroit, 2005

Hiroshima, 1946

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
I guess this is echoing previous posts pretty much but I have a fair amount of experience with both. I grew up in Ann Arbor, my father working in the auto industry in Detroit and with my mother and her family all being from Detroit. I also lived in Boston for 7 years. Boston is a wonderful, wonderful city. I was glad that I learned cities could be wonderful after growing up with Detroit as my example for a city. Having said that the last few times I have been in Detriot the city is slowly making some good changes and no place is without its saving graces. It is definitely an interesting place from an Americana standpoint. But it is unfair to compare the two. Boston is simply a wonderful place. One very telling point is that in Detroit the housing values go up as you get out of the city while in Boston they increase the closer you get.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM

106 posts, read 682,632 times
Default Boston vs. Detroit? No Contest!

Bostonian08, LOVE your pictoral comparison for Detroit. I lived in MI for several years and many of my travels took me through Detroit for layovers. Whenever I have long layovers in major cities I try to take in some of the local flavor. I once had a four hour layover in DC and spent three hours walking around the mall and library of congress. When I had a four hour layover in Detroit I never went farther than the front doors of the bus or train terminals. I was recently given a chance to move back to a suburb of Detroit but turned it down for this reason. Instead I have chosen to move to an area just outside of Boston. Just the things that I have heard about the area makes me want to go there instead of MI. Definitely visit the Boston area and avoid the Detroit area at all costs. Detroit = dangerous, dirty, and downtrodden. Boston = bold, beautiful, and beyond compare (to Detroit at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston