Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:19 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies.

I like the fact that people in Boston is not superficial and rather prefer education. What triggers me is the cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:45 AM

294 posts, read 1,107,488 times
Why are you only choosing between the large state capitals up here? (Boston, Hartford) Is it because you are unfamiliar with the area? I believe living in Boston will be even more expensive than Hartford. Boston is the better choice, hands down. Boston is even larger than Miami, and we have less crime than Hartford or Miami. Do you have to be directly in the city? During my college years I lived in some cheaper but less desireable neighborhoods surrounding Boston-Revere, Chelsea, East Boston-Perhaps someone could direct this woman towards a cheaper, college friendly area? It would also help if we knew what kind of an apartment you were looking to get for your money up here.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I like the fact that people in Boston is not superficial and rather prefer education. What triggers me is the cost of living.
Marina, as a college graduate you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in intellectualism between the two cities.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 AM

Also, have you considered Providence? Maybe you could look at places such as Maryland or Delaware where you would be out of the heat and the cost of living may be cheaper than Boston. I don't know, just throwing out some suggestions

Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
Also, have you considered Providence? Maybe you could look at places such as Maryland or Delaware where you would be out of the heat and the cost of living may be cheaper than Boston. I don't know, just throwing out some suggestions

Having lived in BOS, MIA and PVD, I would say skip PVD. PVD is a sweet little city - but that's all it is - a little city. You'll be bored after a year. In the northeast, I say NYC, BOS, or Montreal (if you can deal with serious cold). PHL is cheaper but sketchier, otherwise, yeah DC could be cool. Definitely skip Hartford - it's too small and an utter dump.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 PM

I avoided suggesting DC because both the crime and cost of living is higher there. Even to live near DC, in northern VA the rent is outrageous. Philly could be a good suggestion, though. For having a population of 1 mill+ the crime rate is lower than DC and not too much higher than Miami. I have also heard that it it kinda sketchy over there, but that it also has some better areas and lots to offer. -This is only what I've heard, I've never been there. How sketchy is it compared to Miami?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:10 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times
I'm familiar with the area, that's why I asked about Boston in general.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:13 AM

557 posts, read 1,353,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
I avoided suggesting DC because both the crime and cost of living is higher there. Even to live near DC, in northern VA the rent is outrageous. Philly could be a good suggestion, though. For having a population of 1 mill+ the crime rate is lower than DC and not too much higher than Miami. I have also heard that it it kinda sketchy over there, but that it also has some better areas and lots to offer. -This is only what I've heard, I've never been there. How sketchy is it compared to Miami?
Recently, past several years, DC has been better than PHL. There are police officers on every corner in DC these days. That is what I have heard.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post

weather sucks, try four feet of snow zero degrees for two weeks and you'll be begging for MIA summer!
LOL. Exaggerate much

Boston gets 4 feet of snow the entire winter not for 2 weeks. Average snowfall 41 inches or so. Also, it rarely gets to 0 let alone for two weeks in a row. It is actually mostly in the 20s and 30s. Average high is 36 or so in the winter but it swings wildly, 50s on some days, and teens and twenties on others.

I've lived in Florida and been to Miami in summer and it is hellish with humidity. I can't say I'd prefer Miami weather over Boston's... to each his own.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:03 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Don't forget for cost-of-living that MA has a state income tax which FL doesn't. MA is an expensive state to live in and it is getting more expensive. As others said though, Boston and Miami are completely opposites. You may want to look for a city that is different than Miami but not completely the opposite either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston