Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM

108 posts, read 570,766 times

Advertisements

when I took the tests back then, there were like 2 chances to take the test to get into the exam schools. I first took it in the 6th grade and if people scored good on the test, they go to the exam schools the following year. if you didn't score well the first time, there is another chance to take it in the 8th grade and start going to the exam schools the following year. I think there might be a 3rd chance to take the test in the 9th grade but only to the o'bryant.

I know some people that doesn't live in Boston but used a boston address to register for the tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,791,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
when I took the tests back then, there were like 2 chances to take the test to get into the exam schools. I first took it in the 6th grade and if people scored good on the test, they go to the exam schools the following year. if you didn't score well the first time, there is another chance to take it in the 8th grade and start going to the exam schools the following year. I think there might be a 3rd chance to take the test in the 9th grade but only to the o'bryant.

I know some people that doesn't live in Boston but used a boston address to register for the tests.
That last point is true but in no way should anyone be encouraged to try it. The City of Boston has always made it clear that its public schools are for Boston residents only and any student caught living in a suburb but attending BLS will be immediately expelled. I am not kidding either. There was an infamous case of two families that rented property in Boston but continued to live elsewhere while using the rental addresses as their children's addresses. Their children were expelled and not reinstated. The families sued the city but subsequently lost anyway. While working at Boston Latin Academy, BLS's sister school, I knew of a student who lived elsewhere as well and was kicked out after tenth grade and forced to enroll in his local suburban high school.

The City is ultra harsh on BLS and BLA for the sole reason that too many people want to send their children to these two schools. On the other hand, I have known kids that attended Dorchester High School, English High School, and other Boston district schools but lived elsewhere and were never caught or the authorities never even bothered to kick them out. Why? Because those schools are already suffering high attrition rates. In the distant past, I believe suburbanites could pay a fee proportional to the amount of yearly taxpayer money it would cost per student to enroll their child in a Boston Public School. At the time, many other high schools like Boston English were stellar performers, even outperforming their suburban peers. Not anymore.

I know, I know. We have a program called METCO that allows city kids to attend suburban schools but how come we don't have a program that allows suburban kids to attend city schools? Again, for the reason that parents would only choose the exam schools because all other district high schools in Boston are terrible compared to suburban schools.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 PM

108 posts, read 570,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That last point is true but in no way should anyone be encouraged to try it. Again, for the reason that parents would only choose the exam schools because all other district high schools in Boston are terrible compared to suburban schools.
oh no I'm not encouraging anything. Isn't Snowden International High in the back bay a very good boston public high school right after all 3 exam schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston