Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDipNStein View Post
First I know some people love it here and I recognize to each their own. This isn't meant to change anyone's mind. For me personally I find Boston incredibly undesirable. The winter is cold and long lasting. The hours of sunlight in New England are much less than Southern and Western parts of the United States. The city looks old and dirty to me. I personally am not enthralled by the history of Boston. It's nice to go to a museum about perhaps but to live and breathe it day to day offers nothing to me. I don't like bars, I don't like sports and that seems to be the basis of conversation amongst my coworkers. I think the T is very poorly designed and too crowded. The city is overpriced. I find it geographically very uninspiring and after a week of living here I felt I had seen all the city has to offer. I look out from tall buildings and see nothing but dusty brick facades and a low slumping landscape into the Charles River. I've been here a year now and as soon as I can find a new job I will happily leave. The only reason I came here was due to the lack of employment opportunities and having found a job here.

Though I don't feel interested in them, generally I find Boston full of nice people and has a strong employment market but those things just don't make up for the downsides I've mentioned. It also is a little strange to me everyone seems to have a little yappy dog in tow. It reminds me of Seattle, always damp and grey. Hopefully 2010 will be the year I leave.
Glad you liked it.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriInNH View Post
One thing is for certain - a few good old fashioned "cold" winters (not just New England, but anywhere north of say 40 degrees Latitude) and you will appreciate the arrival of Spring and Summer MUCH more. It may a few years, depending upon what part of Texas you are from - it may take 5 or 10 years to truly feel it.

To me, Texas is just pure unadultrated daily heat strokes for 4-5 months. My father lives in SE Texas and I have travelled many times in every season. From May through October it is very hot, at least 85-90 degrees every day. That is way too hot and not how to live for me.
...and that's why I highly doubt I'll ever dislike the winters here. I'm much more suited to them than spring (which we experience roughly one and a half months of in Houston, so it's not like I'll be missing much), and summer? Please! I had enough of eternal summer living in Northeast and Southeast Texas for most of my life! I was never into Texas-style summer. People who live here most of their lives may not appreciate the snow and cold and welcome the change moving to a different climate brings, just as I've welcomed freedom from the oppressive, unrelenting Texas heat. To each his own.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,021 times
Why is everyone answering to someone names DR. Dip??? Boston is the best city in America...period. You have it all here.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinmycart View Post
Boston is the best city in America...period. You have it all here.

Great, so they finally implemented 24-hour public transportation?? I must have missed that.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 PM

6 posts, read 11,771 times
Default Good Luck

Quote:
I don't like bars, I don't like sports and that seems to be the basis of conversation amongst my coworkers.
Same here...a bit boring. I guess I'm a little homesick. I'm from somewhere else, too.

Quote:
I've quit my job and will be leaving for California in two weeks. The friends and memories I miss are stronger than anything else. I know I'll be fine because I'm going where I'll be happy. Some have asked where I'm from. It's San Francisco but I mentioned there are several nice places in California that are very different from each other. I like the state in general, I like it for having that diversity within itself.
I just wanted to say that I understand how you feel. SF is also my type of city, not only because of the weather but people, food, etc. I like NYC too. I think we all have our own preferences.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM

24 posts, read 31,759 times
Default Happiness is from within!

How sad, DrDipNStein. I've lived in five states in the US, big cities, small towns and been happy everywhere. I know and love them all, each for a different reason. Love! Each place has pros and cons. We live on the beautiful North Shore, 40 m. from Boston and will miss it now that we're empty nesters & selling our antique colonial home.

I'm in a wheelchair permanently now; can't do the stairs. So why am I happy anyway? People are interesting, intelligent, stupid, kind (mostly) but fascinating anyway. Last week, we drove into Boston and saw an area of the city that was new. Incredible architecture! I’ve lived in Paris, Chicago and more cities of this and other countries. We know SF well. Loved them all because of beauty, food and experiences with people.

So you know: I hate and hurt from cold, snow, rain, fog, humidity- and now steps and cobblestones. I think you are terribly homesick, as one person said. Happiness is from within. I wish you love and peace.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM

88 posts, read 269,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie-mae View Post
I'm in a wheelchair permanently now; can't do the stairs.

So you know: I hate and hurt from cold, snow, rain, fog, humidity- and now steps and cobblestones.
Moogie-mae- not sure if I'll get a reply from you as this was a while ago, but I actually am probably going to be moving to MA with my Husband and Mom, and my Mother is in a wheelchair/uses a walker. I am presently in California and people say that I am crazy moving my poor Mom to the snow and ice and that the cold will cause her pain. But we are originally from the east coast, and we can't afford California anymore... (nor do we like it here, but that's another story!). How are things for you being in a wheelchair in MA? Is it horrible? Do you feel trapped inside during the winters?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 AM

24 posts, read 37,566 times
My two cents worth. I'm from Maine originally and spent every summer in Boston area growing up till ten years ago. I moved to Orlando from 1996 to 1999. It was way to hot and buggy. I moved to LA in 2000 till the present. I love calfornia but after awhile you long for that New England vibe. family cozy towns and affordable living.
yea winters suck but you get use to it. nothing beats NE and the change of seasons.
I hope to be back June 2011

Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 AM

557 posts, read 1,353,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjessla View Post
My two cents worth. I'm from Maine originally and spent every summer in Boston area growing up till ten years ago. I moved to Orlando from 1996 to 1999. It was way to hot and buggy. I moved to LA in 2000 till the present. I love calfornia but after awhile you long for that New England vibe. family cozy towns and affordable living.
yea winters suck but you get use to it. nothing beats NE and the change of seasons.
I hope to be back June 2011
Change of seasons

Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM

132 posts, read 279,200 times
i don't blame this person for disliking Boston, i've been going there every month, each trip for a week, for the past 4 years from NYC and i agree- it's nothing special, boring, and uninspiring.

I think on the other hand Massachusetts is an amazing state that has a lot of other places and things to offer, and New England in general is an incredible region of the country that has beauty, sophistication, and tons of wonderful and unique places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston