Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 11,745 times

Advertisements

This question would go to all the Boulder natives...We visited Boulder last year during Christmas, and WE LOVED it! Aside from the severe winter storm and the closed roads - of course! But that is just a technicality! We were debating on moving there for a year or two. I don't need to work (made the right investments at the right time) so the job market does not interest me. However, I would like to know about the life of the city...Are there hip places to hang out, cafe's that are open into the late hours, terraces that you can do a little people watching? Good restaurants, delis, malls - outdoor places to see people? I've lived in Los Angeles for 20 years, Seattle for 4, Portland 1, Scottsdale 1 and now I am in Tampa,FL and I hate it! There is not a whole lot to do - other than going to the mall! I need a place that stays open late - people to talk to, clean air, good looking people and a safe environment...Is Boulder the place for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Smile Oh goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostandfound View Post
This question would go to all the Boulder natives...We visited Boulder last year during Christmas, and WE LOVED it! Aside from the severe winter storm and the closed roads - of course! But that is just a technicality! We were debating on moving there for a year or two. I don't need to work (made the right investments at the right time) so the job market does not interest me. However, I would like to know about the life of the city...Are there hip places to hang out, cafe's that are open into the late hours, terraces that you can do a little people watching? Good restaurants, delis, malls - outdoor places to see people? I've lived in Los Angeles for 20 years, Seattle for 4, Portland 1, Scottsdale 1 and now I am in Tampa,FL and I hate it! There is not a whole lot to do - other than going to the mall! I need a place that stays open late - people to talk to, clean air, good looking people and a safe environment...Is Boulder the place for me?
I will try to answer as many of your questions as possible:

1) There are definitely "hip" places to hang out in Boulder. With a huge student population you should have no trouble in locating some of these along Pearl Street and the area between about 8th Street and 19th. I don't know University Hill well but I'm sure there are places up there too. A lot of Pearl St is pedestrianised so you can certainly sit outside and the Daily Camera recently published an article on best places for patio dining in the area - I'll try to find the URL for you.

2) Pearl Street could count as an outdoor mall and Boulder just opened the 29th Street Mall this year which is another outdoor mall with shops like Borders, Macy's, Eddie Bauer, etc. Also several different restaurants down there. In fact, you can't throw a brick in Boulder without hitting half a dozen restaurants! If you walk down Pearl Street late at night during the Summer the place is full of people shopping, eating, watching the street artists (jugglers, contortionists, etc).

3) There are lots of places to shop for food including delis. Also Whole Foods, Wild Oats and Safeway. Lots of art galleries and museums. Each year Boulder hosts the Colorado Shakespeare Festival, the Boulder Creek Festival, the Garden Tour, and plenty more.

4) As far as safety goes, it really depends on who you talk to. I've walked thro Boulder late at night and never had any problems (and I'm a woman), but I think certain neighbourhoods have issues. Downtown with all its bustling nightlife is probably okay. There have been some incidents mostly around the university tho.

I think that's all I can tell you right now. I'm sure there are other interesting areas in town (eg; North Broadway) that you might like. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. As far as housing, what would be the area that best fits my needs? I dont need to buy anything - So rent would be in order. I like the idea of a condo/townhome/apartment but within walking distance to places like you mentioned. Is there something like that?
Thanks!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. As far as housing, what would be the area that best fits my needs? I dont need to buy anything - So rent would be in order. I like the idea of a condo/townhome/apartment but within walking distance to places like you mentioned. Is there something like that?
Thanks!
Actually I'm not sure. I have a feeling most places near downtown are for sale, altho with the low property market some people might start leasing rather than selling. I THINK most apartment complexes are a little further out from downtown. I think there are some rentals up at the new Holiday development on N Broadway but that's not walking distance from downtown - more like a 10min drive. You could take a look at the usual rental websites (eg; forrent.com or move.com) or check out Craigslist. There are usually lots of places listed there for Boulder.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:40 PM

P.S. Here's that URL: http://dailycamera.com/news/2007/may/24/no-headline---25fcov/ (broken link)

Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 PM

Thank you - maybe Boulder is what I am looking for! As far as the weather, what is the worst one can expect? e.g. 3 - 4 days of snowed in boredom?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Thank you - maybe Boulder is what I am looking for! As far as the weather, what is the worst one can expect? e.g. 3 - 4 days of snowed in boredom?
At any one time, yes. And it gets HOT. 100+ degrees is not uncommon in the summer. There is much information about the metro area weather on this forum. Just do a search. Boulder is considered part of Metro Denver.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Doubtful you'd get snowed in. Last Winter was an anomaly. Mostly it snows and melts within 24 hours. April/May is pleasant and then it starts to get really hot and cools down again in September. We have rainstorms during the Summer in the afternoons and evenings altho those are getting rarer. It's usually about 10 deg cooler in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: