Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 01:17 PM

48 posts, read 171,190 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband retired last year after 24 years active duty in the Air Force. He is currently enrolled in an Engineering degree program in Utah. This was our last base and now we are ready to move! We've always considered Colorado, so we are looking for a college with a good engineering program to finish up his last two years. We're also curious about the job outlook for mechanical engineers in the Boulder/Denver area.

Our daughter will be entering second grade when we make this move, so we need to live in a safe neighborhood with a great elementary school, within reasonable commuting distance to whatever college my husband attends.

I know this is a broad question, but we need a starting point. We are open to Boulder, Denver, and Fort Collins areas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
At the risk of making a sweeping generalization, you are more likely to find MORE good (highly-rated) public schools, closer to a university (CU or CSU), in Boulder or Fort Collins than you will in Denver proper.

Obviously CU is known for engineering but I don't know anything about their program really. We do have friends (active duty Air Force) and he got his undergrad in Mech Engineering there. They've since been stationed in GA and OH and he recently completed his masters at Wright-Patterson. They love and miss the Front Range.

CSU is a good school too and Fort Collins is fun and more affordable than Boulder. (Although, you could live in Superior and have great public schools and still be close to CU in Boulder.)

Really, it depends on how much you plan to spend on housing. Hope this helps a little.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks, this helps a lot

Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,275 times
I've been a Boulder County resident for 35 years. I think you will find either CU or CSU to be superior to schools in Denver. There are many smaller towns surrounding Boulder that would definitely be good choices as far as housing and safe communities with good schools for your daughter. For example, Louisville was voted as the number 1 place in the country to live and the best place to raise a family ~ not once ~ but twice by Money Magazine.

Lafayette, Erie, Superior, and Longmont are other possibilities for you and within a short commute of Boulder.

Ft. Collins is also a beautiful place and the elementary schools are good there as well.

[ mod cut ]

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-06-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Read the FAQ for realtors.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
I think the best engineering program in the state would be found at Colorado School of Mines in Golden. A family member chose it over some of the other best engineering schools in the nation and loved it.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the tips about neighborhoods to look for near Boulder. I'm definately going to use those places as starting points for research. I hadn't considered Longmont because I was looking between Boulder and Denver, but it looks like easy access to 25 right into Denver so it could be a contender. I just looked on greatschools.org and it looks as though there are several quality elementary schools there as well. Any other thoughts on Longmont?

It looks like cost of living in the Boulder area overall is about 10-20% more expensive than where we are. Some of that is health care, which doesn't concern me too much because our insurance co-pay will be the same no matter where we live. Groceries seem comparable. Utilities and housing concern me. Can anyone give insight as to what utilities might run an average-sized 3 BR house? Right now we budget $200/mo for gas and electric but don't always pay that much. Also wondering if it would be realistic to find a decent home to rent for about $1100 per month for the two years that my husband is still in school.

Thanks again so much for whatever info you can provide. I think people's reality always tends to differ from "statistics" so I really do appreciate your insight!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:43 AM

73 posts, read 190,689 times
Our utility rates are some of the best in the country and a $200 a month average is realistic if not high depending on how large the home is. $1100 for rent is probably low for the area...$1200 to $1700 is probably more realistic for the area ( Boulder proper will be even more for single family) Louisville has nice smaller older homes in your range and Superior has some newer ones that would work. Broomfield is less expensive as is Longmont, however the commute from Longmont can take a bit in traffic. Most folks feel our cost of living is less than the coasts for sure.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Thanks Mark, I sent you a direct message with more questions!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Southwest Longmont is excellent if you are trying to get to Boulder. More of a pain because of traffic if trying to get to Denver. Taking public transportation is always an option. My husband did that for 6 months last summer.

An example of our last utility bill - I was watering quite a bit and we had the air conditioner on. It was $160. I'm in Longmont - that includes electric, water, trash pick up, recycling. That does not include our gas bill which is separate but was only $22. Obviously that goes up in winter and the other goes down. Longmont has some of the best utility rates - we do not use Xcel for electric like many other areas.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:55 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
An example of our last utility bill - I was watering quite a bit and we had the air conditioner on. It was $160. I'm in Longmont - that includes electric, water, trash pick up, recycling. That does not include our gas bill which is separate but was only $22. Obviously that goes up in winter and the other goes down. Longmont has some of the best utility rates - we do not use Xcel for electric like many other areas.
That just makes me cry. We paid almost triple that for those same services on a tiny 800 sq. ft. house, under similar usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area