Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,961 times

Advertisements

My family may be relocating to Longmont CO, area, Rhode Island, or possibly California (Simi Valley).

After 8 years in New hampshire, we moved to North Carolina. Our job situation may move us again. Why should we choose Colorado over the other places. We have 3 children (including one who has special needs) and would be interested in a decent size yard.

Help me by telling me what you like or dislike about the area,

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 AM

724 posts, read 1,934,389 times
Without knowing more about your likes and dislikes, it would be hard to make a case one way or the other. Yardage would probably be easiest in RI or Simi, for the money.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,961 times
Default Likes,dislikes

Well, we got really tired of NH winters for one thing. I have been watching the Longmont weather recently and it seems like you have somewhat milder winter temps than southern NH. Does the snow come and go quickly, or does it linger for the entire winter like it does in NH?

My wife and I like to run, bike, and do races and triathlons. The kids like to hike and play outside. The kids also enjoy the snow.

We could handle returning to a colder area if we have to. My wife is leaning towards RI, but I am more interested in CO. I like the views out that way. I'm not a fan of all the ice storms that happen in the New England area.

Does that help?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,541 times
Well... I moved to Colorado from Boston because I could no longer handle the winters out there. So far, zero regrets.

Running, check. Biking, check, Races, check. Triathlons, check. People seem to do triathlons out here as a way to pass the time. Hiking and playing outside, big check.

It was really, really cold today and yesterday. But the nice thing about this part of the world is that those subzero temperatures are sandwiched by glorious 50s/60s and sunny days. I never found that in New England. No, the snow does not linger like it does in New Hampshire. (Not typically anyway.)

Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
Actually the avg daily high during the winter (Nov-Mar) in the Fort Collins to Denver area is higher than Charlotte NC. I don't know where you live but I have a friend in Charlotte so we've compared before. Now the avg daily low is where you'll see a big difference. But at least low temps are usually the overnight temps when everyone is sleeping anyway. Also the summer weather is hot here but we get cool nights with very low humidity.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
I've never been to RI, but have visited CA many times, and currently live in Colorado coming from Long Island.

I would say Colorado without hesitation. CA might be good if you can live with the politics and welfare state mentality.

With that said, we're looking at moving to New Hampshire. We want to be closer to family, and have our child grow up knowing his family. I'm also tired of the 2-3 flights through 2 time zones to visit family.

Good luck. If you have the time, and if you prefer PM, I'd like to know how you liked NH other than the winters?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
We just moved back to Colorado from Rhode Island. We live in the Vail area and our winters are still milder than the coast of Rhode Island. There wasn't a January day last year when I was outside in RI in a t-shirt, up here it I had 5 t-shirt days. Granted I shoveled the driveway three times today, but I do live in a ski area, it goes with the territory.

My vote would be Colorado. I like California but it has too many fiscal issues for me to bother with.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:53 PM

205 posts, read 503,739 times
I moved to CO from CT in 1988. It sounds like CO would be a good fit for your family. The only caveats are:

1 - if you like being within driving distance to the ocean, you may feel very land locked.
2 - yards here are teeny tiny. I grew up in an area with 2 acre zoning. The houses in CO are typically very close together.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,057 times
Smile Rhode Island

@Already exsist don't move to Rhode Island I live here. And there are no jobs. RI is The third highest in unemployment.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 PM

345 posts, read 914,214 times
Maybe their job is transfering them?

You have East Coast, West Coast and Middle, big differences in all 3 places. CA is going to be the most expensive pretty much all the way around. RI prices I do not know about but if you have family and friends on the East Coast and do have a possible job transfer there it might be worth a look around and it is closest to you so you can check it out with the least expense.

RI and CO do have cold Winters and at times a bit of snow. But CO has low humidty so neg 20 is still cold, but not as cold as -20 East Coast cold.

I like it here and like the people here, out of the 3 you listed we probably have a lower cost of living. Our sales tax and car plates are probably more tho But there is also less to do here then East or West Coast due to being so landlocked. There is also a lack of trees and greenery here which you will notice when you come from a green state like NC. But if you are not into greenery then this would be the placce for you

If you are able to a visit would be worth it if you have never been here and you can afford the time and cost to look around.

If your job is not transfering you I suggest you apply months in advance of where ever you decide to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area