Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,047,397 times

Advertisements

We are big salmon/fish lovers. It's not cheap food, but my family loves a little grilled or baked salmon about once a week for dinner. In Ohio I had a rule that I would not buy if it was more than $6/pound. Non-sale price for farm-raised salmon in our local Kroger (think King Soopers) used to be $6.99 a pound, but they would frequently had packs of 2-3 pieces on sale for about $4.99 - 5.99. I could sometimes buy wild-caught salmon for $5-6/ pound as well.
I've been to Gunbarrel King Soopers about 5-6 times now, and salmon there is ridiculously expensive - about $8-9 a pound and is never on sale. I can't come up with the explanation, other than it is more expensive to deliver it to Colorado, than it is to Ohio store.
What is the best place to buy fish and specifically salmon in Boulder area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM

26,240 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Can't speak to Boulder, but it's a known fact that stores will raise or lower prices based on locality and the income and other demographic factors.

Not sure the prices we pay here in COLO SPGS, but wife hates it, so for myself I buy the already grilled portions at the deli counter.

Another source we like, and she will eat, are Trident Seafood's brand Alaska Salmon Burgers found at Costco in the freezer case. Great tasting, cut from whole filets, no fillers, from Alaska not China.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,964,704 times
I have noticed the price on salmon has really gone up of late. I haven't bought it recently either. So it hasn't always been this expensive here.

I've be been getting mahi mahi (sorry if spelled wrong!) instead at Sams because even the salmon there is more than I want to pay. My son is not a big fish eater and always ate salmon. Mahi mahi is another he will at though.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:39 AM

269 posts, read 1,268,512 times
Have you tried Pacific Ocean Marketplace in Broomfield? I've heard they have cheaper prices, but I've never really checked out the seafood section- I'm vegetarian

Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM

708 posts, read 1,298,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
We are big salmon/fish lovers. It's not cheap food, but my family loves a little grilled or baked salmon about once a week for dinner. In Ohio I had a rule that I would not buy if it was more than $6/pound. Non-sale price for farm-raised salmon in our local Kroger (think King Soopers) used to be $6.99 a pound, but they would frequently had packs of 2-3 pieces on sale for about $4.99 - 5.99. I could sometimes buy wild-caught salmon for $5-6/ pound as well.
I've been to Gunbarrel King Soopers about 5-6 times now, and salmon there is ridiculously expensive - about $8-9 a pound and is never on sale. I can't come up with the explanation, other than it is more expensive to deliver it to Colorado, than it is to Ohio store.
What is the best place to buy fish and specifically salmon in Boulder area?
My friend who lives in Boulder, where I used to live, was also shocked by the salmon prices at King Soopers. He now shops for salmon at Costco in Superior and is very pleased at how much he gets for the money.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 PM

724 posts, read 1,936,455 times
Salmon's a really healthy way to eat, so I hear you about the prices. Our prices are all over, but then it's hard to find salmon without color added, which my wife insists on, which makes it more expensive. Wild is still generally healthier, don't know if Costco is using wild or farm-raised? Be aware the farm-raised is the lowest quality.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,129,205 times
Last time I checked Costco only had farm-raised salmon. I think that was 2 weeks ago...
From what I understand, fishing season for wild salmon officially opens in April/May, and runs through June/July, with a peak in June.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,047,397 times
Thanks, everybody!

Yes, need to check it out at Costco. We are big Costco shoppers - with two growing boys having your fridge well-stocked is a priority .
Mike, thanks for the salmon Burgers idea, will definitely stock up on them for those quick dinners.
jKcoop - my boys are not crazy about fish either, and so far salmon is pretty much the only fish they would eat. They may have some tilapia once in a while, but it will be a struggle. We tried mahi mahi and it didn't go well.
kryptos - will check Pacific Ocean Marketplace. I'm a vegetarian at times too, but only when I'm not eating seafood . I don't eat meat.
seethelight - yes, I used to buy salmon in Costco back in Ohio, but I would split it between us and my parents. Costco packages are huge, as expected. I don't like to freeze it, and we can't eat so much salmon at once. I guess, I need to find out if my neighbors like salmon
qfrost - never saw wild-caught being sold at Costco. I prefer wild-caught too, but when I can't find it I try to convince myself that farm-raised probably has less mercury in it, than wild-caught.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 AM

724 posts, read 1,936,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I prefer wild-caught too, but when I can't find it I try to convince myself that farm-raised probably has less mercury in it, than wild-caught.
Ha! That's what I do too! And now I have to get some salmon burgers. Sounds great, hadn't thought about it. Our biggest problem is our rental has absolutely no room to purchase in bulk.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM

26,240 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
Ha! That's what I do too! And now I have to get some salmon burgers. Sounds great, hadn't thought about it. Our biggest problem is our rental has absolutely no room to purchase in bulk.
The salmon burgers I'm speaking of are round, come stacked in a tubular plastic bag which is about five inches in diameter and ten inches long; not a lot of space. Fry or bake. We love them on a potato roll.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area