Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,183 times

Advertisements

Questions for Lyons, Niwot, or Gunbarrel ---

I am considering a relocation towards the Boulder area and I wanted to reach out to people who knew the area and could tell me a thing or two.....

I'm trying to find a place similar to Ithaca NY or Asheville NC (the only comparable places I can relate to) and was told to check out Boulder CO ---

I'd be coming with three very active outdoor type children (ages 6, 5, and 3) and I really want a place that's not over 10,000 people that is outside of Boulder (close enough to visit easy) and still holds the laid back, liberal, country music, big trucks, educated redneck (4 wheeling/off roading), carefree, earth friendly(solar/green), guitar playing on front porch, music festivals, nature oriented, biking/hikes galore, possible homeschooling support, real organic food, farm type vibe to it.....

Are these areas known for being good schools or are they overpopulated and pushing kids through just to pass them (mine are in 1st/kindergarten/head start respectively)..... Do these schools employ a different schedule (early release/days off).......... Is there an after school program that 'all the parents' use until pick up is possible (If I work from 8-4 every day) or do parents just 'know' people and daycare's to send their children to??? ------ One more school question ---- Is there transportation (school busses) for all these areas? ((We moved to a city where they actually had no school bus system and I had to transport all 3 children to 3 different places every day and need to avoid that again))

Can anyone shed some light on the rental market and type of housing available in these places? I would like to find a place to live with a yard/side walks/playground nearby so my children can ride their bikes and run around pretending to be super hero's without the worry of traffic.....

I'm also interested in a place with an average size library/family friendly restaurants/public parks (fields) where events are held and people get out and about to socialize as a community....

((perhaps I'm asking too much))..

Are Lyons, Niwot, or Gunbarrel any of those things I wrote about ?

If not ------ can anyone suggest some places that aren't too big that are outside the area...

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
I would cross Lyons off your list. Portions of the town got hit hard by the recent flooding and it's gonna be months or even years before things there are back to any semblance of normalcy.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:45 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
Of the places you mentioned, Lyons sounds like it could be a good fit. But as stated above, they suffered tremendous devastation from the flood last month.
Gunbarrel is more or less a subdivision it's not an actual town.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,311 times
Have you visited? I think you need to visit to get a better sense of the area. I take it you are from the East Coast? It is just different here.

I also think Lyons might have been a possibility, but they are scrambling to get back on their feet. Maybe Niwot.

As Neditate said, Gunbarrel is just a suburban part of Boulder.

What about Nederland?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:52 AM

Indeed, I am from the east coast. I can only imagine it is different there... as it is in Arizona and Alaska. I have found my way all around America and across oceans to too many places to list.

Colorado has not been visited yet.... and yes I would love to come visit first but we currently live 12 hours west of the area and can not afford a trip to just check things out first....... I would need extended time off work to just venture off with 3 children to check it out so I'm going by maps, forums, town websites, etc.

I am not partial to any one place or another ... just so long as it is 'outside' a 'big' (50,000+ ppl) city and has the relaxed atmosphere I mentioned...... I will look into Nederland.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other feedback on the other things I mentioned? Thanks Thanks

Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post

I also think Lyons might have been a possibility, but they are scrambling to get back on their feet. Maybe Niwot.

The move we make will not happen until May 2014... so I am doing all the preliminary 'looking around' now. In your opinion, will Lyons be back up and 'running' by then? I too have experienced a devastating flood in a town where I owned multiple properties and it completely wiped everyone out for a good 6 months or more..... so I can only imagine the work ahead of them. **

~ A

Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 AM

I didn't even think of suggesting Nederland. The "country music, big trucks, educated redneck (4 wheeling/off roading)" statement had me stumped. Ned is a small town, laid back, liberal, earth-friendly and nature oriented. It is at 8300' elevation and that is not for everyone.
Here's some info: Town of Nederland, Colorado

Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3stars View Post
The move we make will not happen until May 2014... so I am doing all the preliminary 'looking around' now. In your opinion, will Lyons be back up and 'running' by then?
I am certainly not qualified to answer that. I hope so for their sake! The governor is trying to get roads back open by December 1.
Perhaps you should speak to someone there? Contact info and flood info: Home

Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3stars View Post
Questions for Lyons, Niwot, or Gunbarrel ---

I am considering a relocation towards the Boulder area and I wanted to reach out to people who knew the area and could tell me a thing or two.....

I'm trying to find a place similar to Ithaca NY or Asheville NC (the only comparable places I can relate to) and was told to check out Boulder CO ---

I'd be coming with three very active outdoor type children (ages 6, 5, and 3) and I really want a place that's not over 10,000 people that is outside of Boulder (close enough to visit easy) and still holds the laid back, liberal, country music, big trucks, educated redneck (4 wheeling/off roading), carefree, earth friendly(solar/green), guitar playing on front porch, music festivals, nature oriented, biking/hikes galore, possible homeschooling support, real organic food, farm type vibe to it.....

Are these areas known for being good schools or are they overpopulated and pushing kids through just to pass them (mine are in 1st/kindergarten/head start respectively)..... Do these schools employ a different schedule (early release/days off).......... Is there an after school program that 'all the parents' use until pick up is possible (If I work from 8-4 every day) or do parents just 'know' people and daycare's to send their children to??? ------ One more school question ---- Is there transportation (school busses) for all these areas? ((We moved to a city where they actually had no school bus system and I had to transport all 3 children to 3 different places every day and need to avoid that again))

Can anyone shed some light on the rental market and type of housing available in these places? I would like to find a place to live with a yard/side walks/playground nearby so my children can ride their bikes and run around pretending to be super hero's without the worry of traffic.....

I'm also interested in a place with an average size library/family friendly restaurants/public parks (fields) where events are held and people get out and about to socialize as a community....

((perhaps I'm asking too much))..

Are Lyons, Niwot, or Gunbarrel any of those things I wrote about ?

If not ------ can anyone suggest some places that aren't too big that are outside the area...

Thanks in advance
Gunbarrel is in the Boulder Valley SD so I can answer those questions for that district.

The schools are considered excellent. There are occasional days off where the parents generally have to work. Most schools have after school programs, and once you're involved in the schools it's also not too hard to find people who do outside day care. The schools have buses for kids who live a certain distance from the school or have to cross busy roads. Nederland is also in the BVSD, but it's a mountain community. It's different up there.

I don't know the library situation in Ned, Niwot or Lyons. Parts of Gunbarrel are within the city of Boulder, so you'd be part of the Boulder Public Library system. I'm not sure of the closest library for Gunbarrel, possibly the main branch of BPL. Some of Gunbarrel is outside of Boulder city limits. Of course, you can use the BPL, but I don't know what kind of arrangement they have regarding library cards, etc. for non-residents. Neditate has given a good description of Nederland. I don't know about the family restaurant availability up there. I'm also not sure about Lyons, even before the floods. In Gunbarrel and Niwot, you're close to a lot.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM

599 posts, read 953,360 times
Why do you want to be close to Boulder? If you lose that requirement, there are many places to live that would be better than Gunbarrel or Niwot, which are basically bedroom communities for Boulder.

Try Paonia, Delta, Montrose, Gunnison, Salida, Buena Vista, Durango, Mancos, Cortez, Delores, Canon City, Loveland.

Lyons would have been a decent choice, but they are not expecting to have water/sewer again for quite some time. There are very few rentals there, and there will now be even fewer because they will be taken by people who lost their houses in the flood.

Berthoud is another good town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area