Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,235 times

Advertisements

Hi this is my first time using city-data, but I live Dunwoody, Ga. I'm also looking to relocate to either Boulder or Longmont. I really want to move away from Atlanta traffic and hot blazing summers also I'm sick of the congested city life. However, I'm African American and I was curious about race relations in Boulder/Longmont. I'm a health care provider in pediatrics, single no kids just my vizsla puppy. So my question is: how's the traffic? Is it a friendly city open to people who are different races (inclusive)?

Last edited by SB75; 11-16-2013 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 AM

205 posts, read 503,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
Hi this is my first time using city-data, but I live Dunwoody, Ga. I'm also looking to relocate to either Boulder or Longmont. I really want to move away from Atlanta traffic and hot blazing summers also I'm sick of the congested city life. However, I'm African American and I was curious about race relations in Boulder/Longmont. I'm a health care provider in pediatrics, single no kids just my vizsla puppy. So my question is: how's the traffic? Is it a friendly city open to people who are different races (inclusive)?
Traffic here is much easier than Atlanta. The Diagonal Highway (road that connects Boulder and Longmont) does get backed up during rush hour with more people commuting into Boulder for work than the opposite. I don't think you'll have any race issues here, but I am white, so I'm not speaking from personal experience. The African American community is fairly small though.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:07 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Some data for you

1. Black population of Boulder County is 1%.
Boulder County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

2. Coming from Atlanta you will laugh out loud when someone in greater Boulder talks about traffic congestion.

3. The discrimination in Boulder is not about skin color, but about body weight. But, that is my perception as an old white guy.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,235 times
Ok thank you so much for your reply! I'm originally from Kentucky so I'm pretty comfortable being in the 1% . And that's good news about the traffic! After living in Atlanta, I appreciate smaller cities so much more and prefer the larger cities just to visit not to live. Thank you for the response and I'll make a visit:-)

Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM

936 posts, read 2,069,583 times
The summers in boulder are blazing hot. But at least they don't have the humidity you're used to.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,622 times
Hey! I just moved this summer from Roswell! Here are my quick thoughts:

Traffic- It's nothing like Atlanta. There are a few bad spots, but you will smirk when people complain about the traffic.

Weather- Yep, it gets hot here, but it's dry and cools off at night. It's definitely less than ATL. Our house doesn't have AC, and there were a couple uncomfortable nights, but it wasn't unbearable. Can you imagine no AC in Atlanta ?!?!?

Race- There are definitely less African Americans, but race or ethnicity isn't a big deal here. I don't think you would have an issue with it at all.

Anyway, come on out and visit. I'm the dude in the prius.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 AM

59 posts, read 240,535 times
Plus you'll have plenty of places to exercise with your energetic Vizsla! You may not know it yet, but your dog is going to need a lot of exercise to be happy. I don't think you have a choice -- you will be fit! Get your pooch so it can heel reasonably well, get an open space tag https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/tag-program, and then on the right trails leashless hiking and running are at your finger tips. I would echo that there are fewer African Americans here (more latinos and Asians although it's still predominantly white), but it's an easy going place and would guess that you would not run into many problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area