Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:07 AM

641 posts, read 558,180 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's come over me in the last two months. I've never been through anything like it. I started out watching Mike Tyson videos on YouTube, and now I've become completely infatuated with boxing. I have no background with the sport. I have no training. I've been in dozens of street fights, and I'm a fairly tough guy, (I'm not Billy Bad-A$$, but I'm more toward the aggressive side), but I have no idea if I would be good at boxing or not. Furthermore, I'm old. I'm 37. On top of all that. I've broken the outermost bone on my right hand three times, from fighting. It's at a pretty steep downward angle, and it looks like it could break again fairly easily. But I stayed up all night last night, watching videos about the different punches, how to slip punches, footwork, combos, training and strategy. On top of that, I've watched literally hundreds of boxing videos, from amateur fights to Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Marciano, Tyson, Holyfield, Klitschko, Lewis, Hearns, Hagler, Doran, Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya, Arturo Gatti, Mickey Ward and dozens more. The only reason I know some of these guys' names is that I've been obsessed.

I'm 6'3", 235, but when I was in the Army, I got down to 203. I played football and basketball in high school. I wrestled around with my buddies. I want to knock guys out. But I'm 37, and I have no idea where to start. I live in Sacramento.

Any (constructive) adive?

Thanks,
rpc1

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-13-2016 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
Hey, rpc, as a former amateur boxer myself, I can understand your desire but also consider the residual suffering as you get even older. At 37 you're relatively still young but think of a lot of your sparring opponents - younger guys in their 20s - who may be able not only to withstand the blows but can recover a bit quicker. Also, believe me, you'll feel the residual discomfort in time. I'm 51 now and I feel it in my shoulders and neck - all those blows I took in my teens and twenties.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:30 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Find a reputable boxing gym in your area. Find a trainer who is registered with USA Boxing. They will start you off with the basics and likely require that you register with USA Boxing as well. In a couple of months you should be ready for your first sparring session. This should help you answer any questions you may have about whether or not you want to pursue it further or throw in the towel...pun intended.

While 37 isn't young it certainly isn't out of the question that you can compete. As an amateur you can compete at the master level which is for fighters over the age of 35. If you choose to stick with it I would recommend at least twenty fights as an amateur before going pro. What you have going for you is that the heavyweight division is not exactly stocked rich with talent, so if you prove to be a decent boxer you may do alright for yourself.

Be prepared to be challenged mentally and physically in ways you've never imagined. Boxing is the most demanding sport of any athlete. Whatever you do, take your training seriously.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:45 PM

641 posts, read 558,180 times
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I think I am going to look in to this.

I found this gym online, and it seems to be the most prominent gym on the web for my area. Not sure if that means it's a good gym, and I'm a little apprehensive about their videos on YouTube showing a bunch of middle aged women taking their classes, but they advertise themselves as having been involved somehow with the Olympics and with training a few really talented fighters. Here's their website: Prime Time Boxing - Boxing instruction, certification, strength training and weight loss. Any thoughts on the place?

Also, when I've been involved in altercations in the past, after one or two punches, I've always instinctively gone in to the body and taken the fight to the ground. It's just what comes out of me. Should I maybe be considering MMA fighting?

Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
I don't know what's come over me in the last two months. I've never been through anything like it. I started out watching Mike Tyson videos on YouTube, and now I've become completely infatuated with boxing. I have no background with the sport. I have no training. I've been in dozens of street fights, and I'm a fairly tough guy, (I'm not Billy Bad-A$$, but I'm more toward the aggressive side), but I have no idea if I would be good at boxing or not. Furthermore, I'm old. I'm 37. On top of all that. I've broken the outermost bone on my right hand three times, from fighting. It's at a pretty steep downward angle, and it looks like it could break again fairly easily. But I stayed up all night last night, watching videos about the different punches, how to slip punches, footwork, combos, training and strategy. On top of that, I've watched literally hundreds of boxing videos, from amateur fights to Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Marciano, Tyson, Holyfield, Klitschko, Lewis, Hearns, Hagler, Doran, Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya, Arturo Gatti, Mickey Ward and dozens more. The only reason I know some of these guys' names is that I've been obsessed.

I'm 6'3", 235, but when I was in the Army, I got down to 203. I played football and basketball in high school. I wrestled around with my buddies. I want to knock guys the f*** out. But I'm 37, and I have no idea where to start. I live in Sacramento.

Any (constructive) adive?

Thanks,
rpc1
A fairly tough guy who is aggressive? I bet you are not tough and aggressive around everyone in every situation. Most tough guys are part-time tough guys; meaning, they are good at being tough when they have the upper hand, but when the power balance lies elsewhere, much of that alpha male Mumbai jumbo dissipates. Kudos to you for wanting to try your hand at boxing; you may do well and excel. But toting a 'tough guy' mentality (or a semi-tough-guy mentality) into a boxing gym (or any martial art gym) might get your head caved in.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:44 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Hey, rpc, as a former amateur boxer myself, I can understand your desire but also consider the residual suffering as you get even older. At 37 you're relatively still young but think of a lot of your sparring opponents - younger guys in their 20s - who may be able not only to withstand the blows but can recover a bit quicker. Also, believe me, you'll feel the residual discomfort in time. I'm 51 now and I feel it in my shoulders and neck - all those blows I took in my teens and twenties.
This is good advice. It's not worth it.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:22 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
You can try Eric Kelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnwvR0XnZRA

Old 02-16-2016, 04:36 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I think I am going to look in to this.

I found this gym online, and it seems to be the most prominent gym on the web for my area. Not sure if that means it's a good gym, and I'm a little apprehensive about their videos on YouTube showing a bunch of middle aged women taking their classes, but they advertise themselves as having been involved somehow with the Olympics and with training a few really talented fighters. Here's their website: Prime Time Boxing - Boxing instruction, certification, strength training and weight loss. Any thoughts on the place?

Also, when I've been involved in altercations in the past, after one or two punches, I've always instinctively gone in to the body and taken the fight to the ground. It's just what comes out of me. Should I maybe be considering MMA fighting?
You're in California? You shouldn't have an issue finding a good gym.

To be honest, most of the people who get into boxing are broken souls. These are kids who have grown up in foster homes, been in and out of juvenile detention centers, etc. Clearly not everybody, but that tends to be the typical Silver/Golden Gloves boxer. So most gyms tend to be in recreational centers in majority Hispanic and Black areas.

Mexican-Americans have a long boxing tradition in California so I'm sure there are plenty of gyms out there.

If you're in SoCal, you might want to check out Boxing Fitness Factory. I've seen this guy working with his son and he appears to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38RlJ8ZMRjU

Old 02-16-2016, 05:03 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I'd look into MMA if I were you first as it seems to be your instinctive leaning.

Also, um....you're in for a rough learning curve as most of those guys didn't just wrestle around with their buddies but actually wrestled many up through collegiate wrestling. Maybe you can get a friend to go with you and then have someone to match up with? Because otherwise I think you'll encounter a lot of younger guys or the guys your age are going to have huge skill advantages just like if you were taking up basketball or golf etc. for the first time.

Lastly, how is your cardio? Watch Rocky...there is reason he's running so much.
At 37, that's going to be brutal.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:06 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,404 times
I'm sorry but 37 is old? I say go for it!! Just take care of yourself and be smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing