Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 19,192 times

Advertisements

Hi All, ok so I am new to City Data and to this forum. My husband and I are relocating to Bozeman, he is moving in three weeks and I will fallow him around the first week of July (after our baby arrives).

We are beyond excited about the area but most of all the outdoor amenities. However, as in most cases im getting nervous about a few things. Rental properties seem to be few and far between especially owning three dogs (all well behaved, 2 have lived in rentals for 9 years one has lived in a rental for almost a year but is trained and amazing) one being a Doberman. . Also, finding the basic things that we are used to seems to be a little more difficult. I know it will all work out and we are so ready for this journey to Gods country.

So here are my questions:
- Any suggestions on rental properties, preferably a house outside Bozeman city limits?
- Suggestions on temporary rentals for my husband and dog, that wont kill the wallet?
- Hair dresser who has experience dealing with ethnic (black) hair, relaxers and such?
-last but not least... best brewery!!! ok had to add that one in because we sure do love our beer.

Oh and if it helps we are working professionals in our 30's

Any help or suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 02:20 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,921 times
Why outside Bozeman? You will find that life is much easier and safer, especially with a baby, if you live in town. The sun sets early in the winter and roads can be icy and dangerous. If you can find an affordable place, I recommend renting in town, as close to a grocery store or your husband's work place as possible. You can also rent in the town of Belgrade and commute on the interstate into Bozeman for work. Bozeman has a lot of trails to walk and bike in town that makes you feel like you are out in the country. Lots of moms walk kids in strollers on the trail that starts at the public library parking lot, the Gallagator trail. There is even a new nature playground put in for kids near the Gallagator. This is all in the heart of town.
http://www.gvlt.org/wp-content/uploa...provements.pdf

Join the Facebook page called "Secret Bozeman" and your other questions on rentals and ethnic hair stylers are answered there - or you can ask the questions again on the facebook page. Yes, lots of choices of professionals who do ethnic hair.

Many local breweries:
The Ale Works (too noisy for me, but a neat old building and good restaurant, too)
Montana Ale Works | Montana Ale Works
Bozeman Brewing Company Bozeman Brewing Company
Bridger Brewing Bridger Brewing - Home
Madison River Brewing in Belgrade madisonriverbrewing |

Welcome to Bozeman!
H.I.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,921 times
Here is a link to the Gallatin Valley Land Trust that has been the group behind creating nature trails through Bozeman. The project is called Main Street To The Mountains.

Trails | GVLT | Gallatin Valley Land Trust | Bozeman, Montana

Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Why outside Bozeman? You will find that life is much easier and safer, especially with a baby, if you live in town. The sun sets early in the winter and roads can be icy and dangerous. If you can find an affordable place, I recommend renting in town, as close to a grocery store or your husband's work place as possible. You can also rent in the town of Belgrade and commute on the interstate into Bozeman for work. Bozeman has a lot of trails to walk and bike in town that makes you feel like you are out in the country. Lots of moms walk kids in strollers on the trail that starts at the public library parking lot, the Gallagator trail. There is even a new nature playground put in for kids near the Gallagator. This is all in the heart of town.
http://www.gvlt.org/wp-content/uploa...provements.pdf

Join the Facebook page called "Secret Bozeman" and your other questions on rentals and ethnic hair stylers are answered there - or you can ask the questions again on the facebook page. Yes, lots of choices of professionals who do ethnic hair.

Many local breweries:
The Ale Works (too noisy for me, but a neat old building and good restaurant, too)
Montana Ale Works | Montana Ale Works
Bozeman Brewing Company Bozeman Brewing Company
Bridger Brewing Bridger Brewing - Home
Madison River Brewing in Belgrade madisonriverbrewing |

Welcome to Bozeman!
H.I.
Thank you Happiness is. We eventually want to buy land outside the city and honestly are not big fans of city politics.

I will def join the facebook page and check out the links you sent me.

We are so excited about the move but to be honest I have never been to Bozeman. Im a Colorado girl who lived in CA and now GA. But the mountain life is in my blood. My husband has been there and loved it. We both love Missoula as well but the job took us to Bozeman. I think it will be great for us and our new family.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:07 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,455 times
Rentals with dogs are tight but, with your background, I know you'll love the Bozeman area and Montana overall.

Have a safe move!

Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM

297 posts, read 795,059 times
I don't have much to add other than Montana Ale Works is great. Actually, I don't think I've met a local brewery in Montana that I didn't like -- is that great or kinda sad? lol

Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. looks like Montana Ale works will be my first stop.

Still having issues with rental. Any suggestions on temporary living for my husband? Maybe a room for rent (he will have a dog with him) or hotel. He is at the point that he is even willing to camp for a few nights but I dont think thats best with him starting a new job.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM

672 posts, read 789,703 times
Have you been checking Craigslist? There are currently several houses for rent in Bozeman that allow dogs, going for 1400-1900 a month, some condos/apts for less

Old 04-24-2014, 04:49 AM

Thanks Buzz Bee, I have been on Craigslist quite a bit (almost obsessively) I founs a few homes but they go so quick its hard to snatch when we live so far away. It looks like my husband will have to stay in a hotel as we continue the search.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:55 PM

387 posts, read 555,073 times
Check out Belgrade or Manhattan (though watch for flooding) if you want land and a house at a cheaper price than Bozeman and an easy commute. As far as rentals - yeah, the market is tight. I would just move as quickly on them as you can. For your husband, Home Away has quite a few houses in and out of town for rent short-term (some long term available) that allow dogs. Check them out: Montana Vacation Rentals, House Rentals | HomeAway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman