Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:27 PM

85 posts, read 191,473 times

Advertisements

I'm a RN thinking of moving down to Melbourne. What is the patient to RN ratio? Where is the best place to work and what do they pay RN's? I have been at Mayo Clinic in Rochester for 10 plus years and love it but hate the cold. I dont want to live in jacksonville so no transfer for me. I have 4 boys between 2 and 14 so i want a safe family oriented city. Melbourne seems nice and I have some friends and distant relatives near by in Orlando. Any info would be awesome
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM

732 posts, read 968,563 times
I am not an RN so can't say too much on that. I hear Holmes regional is really huge and busy but I think better to check the department size that you might work in. Some smaller hospitals might be better or not, if they have a real busy department and you work in that department, no matter the size of the hospital your department might get too busy. I think there is a lot of competition here too some of that competition might be a little negative all around. I have definately heard the hospitals here, like so many places now, compete in a fairly hostile way so nothing like Mayo in Rochester. I have not heard a ton of compliments on even some of the newer hospitals like in Viera, but dunno we are relatively new here. Hope you find the info you seek.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:58 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
I'm a RN thinking of moving down to Melbourne. What is the patient to RN ratio? Where is the best place to work and what do they pay RN's? I have been at Mayo Clinic in Rochester for 10 plus years and love it but hate the cold. I dont want to live in jacksonville so no transfer for me. I have 4 boys between 2 and 14 so i want a safe family oriented city. Melbourne seems nice and I have some friends and distant relatives near by in Orlando. Any info would be awesome
Thanks
Holmes Regional is a trauma center, has a heart section, and is a pretty descent hospital. Holmes Regional Medical Center | Melbourne Florida Hospital | Emergency Care | Trauma Center | Heart Center

Check careers

There is also Wuesthoff Better Care for a Better Community - Wuesthoff Health System and Kindred Kindred Hospitals - Melbourne - Home hospitals. In Sebastian area there is Sebastian River http://www.sebastianrivermedical.com/default.aspx.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM

85 posts, read 191,473 times
Thank you for the info, looks like there are plenty of jobs for nurses at Holmes. The high here taday is 49, cant wait to move down. Some people say it is boring there, that sounds okay by me. My wife has only lived in MN and grew up on a farm so we like the sounds of your laid back town. Melbourne sounds like our speed.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck-in-mn View Post
Thank you for the info, looks like there are plenty of jobs for nurses at Holmes. The high here taday is 49, cant wait to move down. Some people say it is boring there, that sounds okay by me. My wife has only lived in MN and grew up on a farm so we like the sounds of your laid back town. Melbourne sounds like our speed.
It's a great area and checked it out before moving back to Florida rather extensively. It is quieter and less congested which I like and reminds me more of the "Old Florida" that I grew up in. Unfortunately due to family illness (and subsequent passing) I wound up in Central Florida for now (Seminole County), but would have preferred either Brevard County or St Johns County on the coast. I'd recommend the beach communities in particular since you have kids, as the schools are the absolute best. Check out Indialantic, Melbourne Beach, Cocoa Beach and Satellite Beach.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:47 PM

481 posts, read 864,699 times
Holmes, Cape Canaveral & Wuesthoff Hospitals are OK! Palm Bay & Parrish Medical are butcher houses The first three could by far use a lot of improvement but no where near as bad as the latter two. Holmes care is the worst of the first three.

Working wise, I would not work for none of them. I worked in the Fire Rescue/EMS (Paramedic/EMT) here for 10 years before medically retiring (injuries) and I have seen these operations. Granted there has been improvement to the facilities, but in care, they need lots of improvement, and by far more quality training in ethics & treatment.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's a great area and checked it out before moving back to Florida rather extensively. It is quieter and less congested which I like and reminds me more of the "Old Florida" that I grew up in. Unfortunately due to family illness (and subsequent passing) I wound up in Central Florida for now (Seminole County), but would have preferred either Brevard County or St Johns County on the coast. I'd recommend the beach communities in particular since you have kids, as the schools are the absolute best. Check out Indialantic, Melbourne Beach, Cocoa Beach and Satellite Beach.
Oh wow! You say "...more of the "Old Florida"...", come on, nothing about this area is like the "Old Florida"...LOL!

I am a 5th generation Floridian from the Eau Gallie/Melbourne area, and nothing here is like the "Old Florida" that I grew up around here. It is all transplants, yankees, and refugees. We native Floridians are now the minority here! LOL

Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1 View Post
Oh wow! You say "...more of the "Old Florida"...", come on, nothing about this area is like the "Old Florida"...LOL!

I am a 5th generation Floridian from the Eau Gallie/Melbourne area, and nothing here is like the "Old Florida" that I grew up around here. It is all transplants, yankees, and refugees. We native Floridians are now the minority here! LOL
I grew up in South Florida which now bears no resemblance to what I grew up in. The area from Vero Beach on up to St Augustine I find to be the closest to what I remember in terms of Old Florida on the coast. I think some areas in the interior (Sebring/Avon Park/Lake Wales for instance) have maintained it better. Of course as a native you're going to disagree, you've seen all of the changes. To me, Brevard County is still relatively undeveloped and looks in many areas more like what I grew up.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I grew up in South Florida which now bears no resemblance to what I grew up in. The area from Vero Beach on up to St Augustine I find to be the closest to what I remember in terms of Old Florida on the coast. I think some areas in the interior (Sebring/Avon Park/Lake Wales for instance) have maintained it better. Of course as a native you're going to disagree, you've seen all of the changes. To me, Brevard County is still relatively undeveloped and looks in many areas more like what I grew up.
Very true, I cannot disagree with your sentiments on this one. Yes, Brevard County is relatively undeveloped (thank the dear Lord for this one...LOL), but this is mainly due to the Saint Johns Water District west of more civilization/development. It is cannot be developed & urbanized, as it is flood plain & swamp. This is the "Old Florida" that still remains in that sense, but as development in the areas that can be developed/urbanized, it has gotten out of control. Everyone from everywhere and every country has moved here and is still exploding. I expected growth, but not this type of growth.

Anyways, my apologies to the OP, as I do not want to hyjack your thread/post.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1 View Post
Holmes, Cape Canaveral & Wuesthoff Hospitals are OK! Palm Bay & Parrish Medical are butcher houses The first three could by far use a lot of improvement but no where near as bad as the latter two. Holmes care is the worst of the first three.
Is the Palm Bay hospital really that bad? I've been there a few times for things like stitches and always been very happy. The doctors and nurses I had were all nice and seemed competent, and I never had to wait unlike other ERs that I or family members have been to. Now maybe for something more complex than sutures it would be a different story, but it seemed OK to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County