Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:51 AM

28 posts, read 29,663 times

Advertisements

I hope this does not offend anyone who lives here or loves the area. That is not my intention, I am seeking some advice as a recent transplant. We moved to the area less than a year ago and like going to the beach occasionally and the proximity to family friendly attractions. We are looking to buy soon and I'm just not sure if this is IT for us as much as the area has going for it. We moved from a very fast paced area that was very metropolitan and it was a welcome change to move to this tropical paradise.

However, I'm finding it a little too slow now that we are settling. Does anyone know anywhere else that is a little faster paced that would be nice to raise a family in FL? A place that has plently of places to eat, things to do, high rated elementary schools and safe communities? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 11:08 AM

91 posts, read 167,323 times
I'd would say your not going to the beach often and are finding Brevard it too slow, then Orlando would be my first choice. You'll just have to do your research on schools and then decide if that is the area you'd like to live in Orlando. You'll have plenty to do and enough entertainment. Then you can just take a day trip to the beach if you like. Bout a little over a hour drive. Tallahassee would be a good place to bring up a family, but I think anything in the panhandle will be too slow for you. Tampa has some good stuff going for it, I just wouldn't want to live there and a definite NO on living anywhere in South Florida to bring up a family.

Last edited by Florida Paul; 12-20-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 10:41 PM

106 posts, read 109,577 times
Agree with Florida Paul that you'll want to avoid S. Florida for sure. The last time I visited Melbourne was years ago, but I remember it being a pretty laid-back beachy town. Orlando would be the polar opposite of that. You'd certainly be in the heart of all the attractions and not far from a beach, but cost of living is high and traffic is terrible (I know nothing of the schools). Here is my perspective on some different areas, as a mother of young kids myself, and a life-long Floridian:

East Coast:
- Remember, no South Florida!
- Daytona / Cocoa Beach - college / party towns
- St. Augustine - very pretty, but still probably slower-paced than you'd like

Central FL:
- Orlando - This is a tourist town. I personally wouldn't want to raise young kids there, but if you're used to big cities you might not mind the congestion or the higher cost of living.
- Polk County (Lakeland, Winter Haven) - A little slower, not known for great schools, or much of anything, really
- Gainesville - College town. Not sure if it would be a great fit for you either

Bay Area:
- Clearwater - not the nicest beaches and also known for college party crowds
- St. Pete - nice beaches and I understand there are places with good schools, but there are also not-so-great areas, so you'd have to do some homework on this one
- Sarasota / Bradenton - beautiful white-sand beaches and a lot to offer culturally, but more of an older crowd. Might be one to look into, though.
- Tampa / Hillsborough County - If you stay in the suburbs you can live in a nice, safe area while still being close to the city and an hour from the beach. For good schools, Westchase and Lutz are your best bets, but the school district is beyond broke right now and struggling to figure something out. I don't know how this will impact the schools in the short or long term.

Pasco / Hernando Counties:
- Wesley Chapel - Fast-growing, lots of shopping, dining, and right off the interstate, so beach drive is about an hour.
- Zephyrhills / Dade City - Slow paced, older crowd
- Brooksville / Spring Hill - lots of people moving here to get away from growing congestion to the south. Still relatively rural, for now.
- Land O' Lakes - A lot of older communities mixed with new development. Not much to do.
- Stay away from New Port Richey. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but NPR is known for drugs and just not being a very respectable area.

So all that being said, if you prefer to live close to the beach, start by looking into Sarasota / Bradenton or St. Pete.
If you don't mind living farther from the beach, take a look at Wesley Chapel.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:39 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
Agree with Florida Paul that you'll want to avoid S. Florida for sure. The last time I visited Melbourne was years ago, but I remember it being a pretty laid-back beachy town. Orlando would be the polar opposite of that. You'd certainly be in the heart of all the attractions and not far from a beach, but cost of living is high and traffic is terrible (I know nothing of the schools). Here is my perspective on some different areas, as a mother of young kids myself, and a life-long Floridian:

East Coast:
- Remember, no South Florida!
- Daytona / Cocoa Beach - college / party towns
- St. Augustine - very pretty, but still probably slower-paced than you'd like

Central FL:
- Orlando - This is a tourist town. I personally wouldn't want to raise young kids there, but if you're used to big cities you might not mind the congestion or the higher cost of living.
- Polk County (Lakeland, Winter Haven) - A little slower, not known for great schools, or much of anything, really
- Gainesville - College town. Not sure if it would be a great fit for you either

Bay Area:
- Clearwater - not the nicest beaches and also known for college party crowds
- St. Pete - nice beaches and I understand there are places with good schools, but there are also not-so-great areas, so you'd have to do some homework on this one
- Sarasota / Bradenton - beautiful white-sand beaches and a lot to offer culturally, but more of an older crowd. Might be one to look into, though.
- Tampa / Hillsborough County - If you stay in the suburbs you can live in a nice, safe area while still being close to the city and an hour from the beach. For good schools, Westchase and Lutz are your best bets, but the school district is beyond broke right now and struggling to figure something out. I don't know how this will impact the schools in the short or long term.

Pasco / Hernando Counties:
- Wesley Chapel - Fast-growing, lots of shopping, dining, and right off the interstate, so beach drive is about an hour.
- Zephyrhills / Dade City - Slow paced, older crowd
- Brooksville / Spring Hill - lots of people moving here to get away from growing congestion to the south. Still relatively rural, for now.
- Land O' Lakes - A lot of older communities mixed with new development. Not much to do.
- Stay away from New Port Richey. Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but NPR is known for drugs and just not being a very respectable area.

So all that being said, if you prefer to live close to the beach, start by looking into Sarasota / Bradenton or St. Pete.
If you don't mind living farther from the beach, take a look at Wesley Chapel.
Interesting take on many areas I am not too familiar with.
I would have to disagree about Cocoa Beach as a collage/party town. While it is true spring break will bring some of the younger collage crowd there (after all it is a beach town and most in Florida will get that no matter which large beach you go to). I wouldn't consider the "feel" of the area represents that for most of the year. Right now, I would think the population is mostly a lot older with the snowbirds taking over.
In addition, the surrounding areas of Merritt Island and Satallite beach, minutes from Cocoa Beach, are in no way party or collage towns in my opinion. Add in decent schools and I think it is a great area to consider for raising a family, while enjoying a slower pace, beaches, great food, and a bit of night life in Cocoa Beach. You want the craziness of Orlando, you are an hour away. Just my perspective.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:32 AM

216 posts, read 271,921 times
Lol at Cocoa Beach being a party town. Cocoa Beach/Satellite Beach/Indiatlantic are all family areas with great schools.

And if you have a decent budget don't completely right south florida off. Stuart/Jupiter are great areas for families.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:13 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Brevard is a goldilocks location in fl. Great schools in FL as rule with enough to do and close enough to a major metro area like Orlando without the hassle of living there.

Not as backwards as the panhandle is and no Español required to live here like Miami

It's no wonder the population has been steadily growing and the traffic pickup shows it imo

Old 12-22-2017, 08:39 PM

106 posts, read 109,577 times
Hmmmm... it appears I'm mistaken about the east coast. I've spent little time in Daytona and only traveled through Cocoa Beach, and had thought they were closer and more similar than they apparently are. I have spent time in Melbourne and do remember it being very laid back. I'm definitely more familiar with central FL and bay area, and the places I recommended seem to fit what OP is looking for as far as safety and abundance of activities.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:36 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,216 times
This is a question of budget and career/industry.

All areas of Florida, including SFL, have good schools with relatively safe environments. Relative to the city life you're used to back home, there are pockets of family friendly areas. The catch: They aren't cheap.

We have lived in many areas of FL including SFL (all 3 counties), the Bay Area, Daytona Beach and Ft. Myers.

So what's your budget for a home? What is your career portability?

Old 12-30-2017, 09:20 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times
Jumping in here & hope I don't hijack this thread. Found it on a search for St. Augustine - thanks for your comments, Restless. Some of my friends have recently retired up and down the Florida coast, and while retirement is a long way off for me, I'd like to start exploring the possibilities. St. Augustine is on my itinerary for February, and a quick search shows some affordable condos & townhomes a block from the beach at what seem to be pretty good prices for a vacation home.

I like slow, laid back, etc., but I also need to consider resale or rental. To those of you familiar with the area, do you think there is enough of a draw? The various places my friends have settled in (Pompano Beach, Ormond, Palm Coast, etc.) seem either too crowded for my taste, or too expensive at present.

Thanks in advance.

ETA - Its important to me that I do not buy in an area popular only to retirees. In fact, I'd rather be in an area where all ages are somewhat represented.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:33 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Jumping in here & hope I don't hijack this thread. Found it on a search for St. Augustine - thanks for your comments, Restless. Some of my friends have recently retired up and down the Florida coast, and while retirement is a long way off for me, I'd like to start exploring the possibilities. St. Augustine is on my itinerary for February, and a quick search shows some affordable condos & townhomes a block from the beach at what seem to be pretty good prices for a vacation home.

I like slow, laid back, etc., but I also need to consider resale or rental. To those of you familiar with the area, do you think there is enough of a draw? The various places my friends have settled in (Pompano Beach, Ormond, Palm Coast, etc.) seem either too crowded for my taste, or too expensive at present.

Thanks in advance.

ETA - Its important to me that I do not buy in an area popular only to retirees. In fact, I'd rather be in an area where all ages are somewhat represented.
Hi bridgerider, I have heard that St. Augustine is beautiful and quiet, but I can't say anything about age concentration or prices. Definetly worth checking out in your travels.
I do think there is a lot to look at in Brevard County. The beach side areas will always be a draw and depending on age, condition, size and proximity to the water, prices vary widely from great values to some over priced pipe dreams. Move a bit inland to Merritt Island and the prices tend to drop a bit with a huge varity of neighborhoods with canal fronts to starter homes. You will find all age groups here and the rental/investment potential has been great over the last six years. Not trying to predict the future, but with the space agencies flourishing, Port Canaveral expanding and developing and Disney so close, I just don't see the trend changing much down the road. Personally, I have invested in the area and don't plan to sell anytime soon. Would love to move here as well and consider it every year even though retirement is a good 15 years away (giving up a lot job wise in NY holds us back, but hopefully soon...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County