Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 AM

16 posts, read 34,349 times

Advertisements

People here need to remember engineers are NOT the average, or even close to the average. For every engineer in Brevard there are 10 cashiers, dog groomers, or barbers. Engineers are basically all in the top 5% of earners. I fully believe the average person here in Brevard is making $28k, not even counting all the unemployed and retirees that make up a significant portion of the population. We're have one of the oldest populations in the country here in Brevard.

When the boomers start to die off, this town is in for a huge contraction unless aerospace funding gets a huge unexpected bump in the next decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 PM

371 posts, read 378,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clu77er View Post
People here need to remember engineers are NOT the average, or even close to the average. For every engineer in Brevard there are 10 cashiers, dog groomers, or barbers. Engineers are basically all in the top 5% of earners. I fully believe the average person here in Brevard is making $28k, not even counting all the unemployed and retirees that make up a significant portion of the population. We're have one of the oldest populations in the country here in Brevard.

When the boomers start to die off, this town is in for a huge contraction unless aerospace funding gets a huge unexpected bump in the next decade.
The above applies in a lot of the state even here, most of the investment is coming from foreign sources, wealthy retirees moving here from the Northeast paying cash for their homes, buying new cars and keeping healthcare, golf courses, shopping and restaurants busy. There is not a big influx of high skilled work or companies relocating here offering people like myself opportunity also which creates a very market which is not competitive in terms of salaries, employers do not feel the need to pay more because there is no place else to go. Service jobs are big in Broward too.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:10 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
It's a nationwide phenomenon, nothing special about Brevard. Brevard probably doing better because of its aerospace and defense connections compared to the rest of FL

Low-wage jobs explosion - Aug. 31, 2012

Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's a nationwide phenomenon, nothing special about Brevard. Brevard probably doing better because of its aerospace and defense connections compared to the rest of FL

Low-wage jobs explosion - Aug. 31, 2012
Like I said, being an Engineer the offer I got in Melbourne at Embraer was a joke. If that's all Engineering jobs pay in Melbourne, I won't be looking into moving there anytime soon. I'm sure the cost of living is lower there than here, I did not even look into how much lower my car insurance would be if I moved there, it's insane here. Rents are high and gas is equally expensive. Problem is most of the Engineering jobs in Melbourne are based on Gov. work, that does not last too long and layoffs are common.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:38 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
"Average salaries" in Florida or even Brevard County mean very little. Having worked for Harris in Melbourne for 26-years, I can tell you that the salary levels for skilled jobs are comparable to other places. (They have to be in order to attract quality, skilled people). Of course, there are a lot more low/dead-end jobs that pay less and drive the "average salary" down.

On average, the COL in Boston is about 30-percent higher than Central Florida. On top of that, there is no state income tax in Florida.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"Average salaries" in Florida or even Brevard County mean very little. Having worked for Harris in Melbourne for 26-years, I can tell you that the salary levels for skilled jobs are comparable to other places. (They have to be in order to attract quality, skilled people). Of course, there are a lot more low/dead-end jobs that pay less and drive the "average salary" down.

On average, the COL in Boston is about 30-percent higher than Central Florida. On top of that, there is no state income tax in Florida.
Ditto for many higher paying health related jobs compared to ca or up north. It's a huge bonus in favor if FL

Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 AM

35,073 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:

I would wager that 30% is a very conservative estimate. It's probably a bigger difference than that.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:

26 years at Harris, amazing stability which a lot of people do not have, consider yourself extremely lucky. I have been laid off 2 times in the past 6 years from jobs that lasted upwards of 5 years tops, not based on my skill level or job performance, but from restructuring, contracts that ended and etc. Recently one of my co-workers from a previous job got cut on a recent layoff, he worked for the company 13 years and he cannot find a job here because nobody wants to pay him what he is worth, he is in his mid 50's, 30+ years of experience. What he is realizing is age discrimination, companies can hire a new graduate for a lot less and many have the attitude that this is acceptable practice.

From my experience in South Florida and elsewhere in Florida and from what I hear from my co-workers at my current job, salaries are low and not even comparable elsewhere and even with the no income tax statement, car insurance here compared to other locations wipes out a lot as does the high cost of living, rent, home prices and etc.

Embrear in Melbourne obviously does not meet your statement of remaining competitive to attract talent, because the offer they made is less than I can get here or elsewhere. I know a lot of companies here, small companies that list the same jobs over and over, they cannot hire anyone because they do not want to pay or they are not great places to work.

If you can make $100K in Boston and move to Melbourne and get the same identical salary, sure it's an obvious advantage, but I highly doubt that is the case on average for Engineers.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post
26 years at Harris, amazing stability which a lot of people do not have, consider yourself extremely lucky. I have been laid off 2 times in the past 6 years from jobs that lasted upwards of 5 years tops, not based on my skill level or job performance, but from restructuring, contracts that ended and etc. Recently one of my co-workers from a previous job got cut on a recent layoff, he worked for the company 13 years and he cannot find a job here because nobody wants to pay him what he is worth, he is in his mid 50's, 30+ years of experience. What he is realizing is age discrimination, companies can hire a new graduate for a lot less and many have the attitude that this is acceptable practice.

From my experience in South Florida and elsewhere in Florida and from what I hear from my co-workers at my current job, salaries are low and not even comparable elsewhere and even with the no income tax statement, car insurance here compared to other locations wipes out a lot as does the high cost of living, rent, home prices and etc.

Embrear in Melbourne obviously does not meet your statement of remaining competitive to attract talent, because the offer they made is less than I can get here or elsewhere. I know a lot of companies here, small companies that list the same jobs over and over, they cannot hire anyone because they do not want to pay or they are not great places to work.

If you can make $100K in Boston and move to Melbourne and get the same identical salary, sure it's an obvious advantage, but I highly doubt that is the case on average for Engineers.

Exactly.

Just an example, RNs in FL are paid a lot less than other states, same thing with teachers.

While home prices are lower in FL, car insurance, groceries, homeowner's insurance are pricey.

You can just say "there is no state income tax" for so long, they make up for it in other ways.

I never saw so many people working two jobs as in FL. They have their "real" job, and than a part time job.

Couple of examples, a prison guard working at Target as a security guard part time.

An office manager working part time as a server three nights a week.

They're not doing it for fun. They're doing it because their low salaries aren't cutting it.

Problem with FL is the cost has gone way up, while salaries remain low.

I was talking to someone in hospital administration, she told me she is making in FL what she made in the 1980s in CA. Doing the same job.

FL works best for retired people who can come from up north, and buy a house with cash and have money left over from the sale or their home up north.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:25 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post

Actually, this is not age discrimination. The market is telling him what his job is worth today. It is an acceptable practice to hire people at the going rate regardless of what they may have earned in the past.
If he chooses not to work at that rate it is his decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County