Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 AM

12 posts, read 22,336 times

Advertisements

Just got my notice from Brevard county property appraiser property value up over $20,000 So my taxes will be higher anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 05:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,327 times
Yep, me too. Every one of them went up. That means higher taxes but higher equity and worth as well. I guess that goes hand in hand and to be expected in an upward market.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:09 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Yeah, same. Hopefully it will continue so that I can sell it.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:32 AM

232 posts, read 398,282 times
California did one thing right with their Prop. 13 way back (where a property is only reassessed upon sale, and the buyers pay the higher rate). However, Floridians don't have a state income tax, which for me is a bigger benefit at this stage of my life. The State needs to generate revenue somehow. Could be worse... could be like TX.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:30 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
California did one thing right with their Prop. 13 way back (where a property is only reassessed upon sale, and the buyers pay the higher rate). However, Floridians don't have a state income tax, which for me is a bigger benefit at this stage of my life. The State needs to generate revenue somehow. Could be worse... could be like TX.
Consideringg the fact that taxes went way down when our assessments went down from 2006-2013 and that we get homestead exemptions up to $50,000 on our homes going up three 3 % allowed is not too bad. Everyone should have expected it to go up this year. We have not had the house appraised this year, but considering its worth has more than doubled(it was a short sale and we got a good deal from our bank of 30 years) according to the places like Zillow and even ReMax, the few $$ our taxes went up is not bad. New residents of Florida buyin houses will pay a higher tax here, too, but it is still so much cheaper than in Illinois!

Old 08-25-2016, 05:11 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Consideringg the fact that taxes went way down when our assessments went down from 2006-2013 and that we get homestead exemptions up to $50,000 on our homes going up three 3 % allowed is not too bad. Everyone should have expected it to go up this year. We have not had the house appraised this year, but considering its worth has more than doubled(it was a short sale and we got a good deal from our bank of 30 years) according to the places like Zillow and even ReMax, the few $$ our taxes went up is not bad. New residents of Florida buyin houses will pay a higher tax here, too, but it is still so much cheaper than in Illinois!
And much cheaper than in Long Island, NY as well...

Old 08-29-2016, 06:45 AM

120 posts, read 196,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I was scared to open the envelope. But relieved when I saw what it actually was. The way they do the taxable value here is so much different than what I saw in MN. My property taxes are still about $1200 less here per year for roughly the same value home in MN. Plus MN has income tax, and a horrible tab renewal fee on cars (I was paying close to $700/year for both cars). I still come out way ahead.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:51 AM

232 posts, read 398,282 times
Odd... haven't received my tax bill yet.

One thing about Brevard taxes people tend to forget is they also include your trash pickup. At least they do on Merritt Island. 2X weekly for garbage, and 1x for recycle and yard waste. That adds up quickly... especially the yard waste. It's not limited to grass clippings; you'd not believe the stuff I have seen stacked on the side of the road... and it gets picked up.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:16 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clnewman View Post
Odd... haven't received my tax bill yet.

One thing about Brevard taxes people tend to forget is they also include your trash pickup. At least they do on Merritt Island. 2X weekly for garbage, and 1x for recycle and yard waste. That adds up quickly... especially the yard waste. It's not limited to grass clippings; you'd not believe the stuff I have seen stacked on the side of the road... and it gets picked up.
In incorporated areas you get a bill from the town/city utilities.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:00 PM

29 posts, read 46,627 times
Good thread.

In Maryland it's handled similar to California's prop 13. Works very well. More areas around country are doing this. I'm finding FL is way behind in so many ways in so many areas. Guns, smoking in public areas, and more. Also, I find that produce and legumes here are not cheap, the same prices as up north, and don't taste as good here. And we grow the stuff here! I think all part of big agribusiness $$$. Or is there something I'm missing? Is anyone else feeling this who recently moved here from the Northeast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County