Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times

Advertisements

As long as it is thought of as hard it will be.

I always start out with , 'This losing weight is easy.'

'Riding my bike each morning is fun.'...not, 'Oh it's so hard to
exercise everyday."
Then, it is.

Ya just do it. No talk or thought of, It's so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Maybe this is a bit simplistic, but I try very hard to be in the moment. One thing I try to do is occasionally stop and ask about each of my senses - what do I see, hear, feel, smell, taste.... Makes me stop for a few moments anyway and think about what is.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Maybe this is a bit simplistic, but I try very hard to be in the moment. One thing I try to do is occasionally stop and ask about each of my senses - what do I see, hear, feel, smell, taste.... Makes me stop for a few moments anyway and think about what is.
Good one..."what is".

I in turn, check in on, "How do I feel?"
I know that I am surrounded in and out with Reality...and Reality to me is Bliss.
If I need to shift my butt cheek or loosen my abs so I can feel relaxed breathing...then that is
what I need to do.
If I would FEEL better not answering the phone, that is what I do.
I am meant to enjoy each moment...physically and emotionally,
connected to ...to...sorry, Buddhists, my Father Creator.
Priorities, priorities.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The Buddha said... “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

What makes it difficult to live in the present? Is it even realistic to think that we can live in the present all the time?
I'm posting this in the present right now. It's easy, just start paying attention, and stop daydreaming all the time.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I like to do this too, especially after having troubling thoughts involved with something in the past or something that I think will be coming up in the future. After dropping the thoughts, it is a way to take stock of the present. It brings us back to seeing things around us more clearly, things that were going on undetected when the mind was in a 'troubled state.' Works for me too.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Good one..."what is".

I in turn, check in on, "How do I feel?"
I know that I am surrounded in and out with Reality...and Reality to me is Bliss.
If I need to shift my butt cheek or loosen my abs so I can feel relaxed breathing...then that is
what I need to do.
If I would FEEL better not answering the phone, that is what I do.
I am meant to enjoy each moment...physically and emotionally,
connected to ...to...sorry, Buddhists, my Father Creator.
Priorities, priorities.
No apologies needed. A real Buddhist does not judge other religions/belief systems. The beauty of Buddhism is you can take what you need from it...it's a philosophy, not a religion. So you can be a catholic/jewish/pagan/etc who practices some/all Buddhist philosophies. That's my take on it anyway as a 'wannabe' Buddhist.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:02 PM

It's just I have had practicing Buddhists say to my face, " I don't belive in God."

It blew my mind...I never knew that.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It's just I have had practicing Buddhists say to my face, " I don't belive in God."

It blew my mind...I never knew that.
A diety is not part of Buddhism, no. It's not a religion. But you can still practice Buddhism and believe in a diety, or faeries, or goddesses, or whatever you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism